“Absolutely wonderful!!!”

Ranked #45 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
GreenLeadersBronze level
Thousand Oaks
Reviewed March 4, 2006

We feel like we're biased writing about the hotel and service since we've stayed here dozens of times now over the past ten years and feel like the managers are old friends we're visiting. But I guess that's a complement in itself. Basically, it's very clean, always upgraded (new office/breakfast room now!), and airy -- not congested like most of the SC motels, and the service/management impecable.

It's amazing that all the ratings here are either at the top (most of them) or bottom, nothing in between. I guess most people only post when they're complaining and don't take the time to complement if things went well. And to the negative complaints -- mostly about policy notices, etc. -- that's a quick call to see how ludicrous they are. Even after so many stays, we're always reminded of their policies with each reservation. I agree with another poster that these complaints are to cover their own mistakes. Anyhow, try for yourself and see if you can 'slip one by' like that poster said.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 10, 2005

The hotel was so well kept, so tidy, we felt welcomed immediately. The counter clerk was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and cozy and we felt very comfortable there. This is a basic hotel with no breakfast, but so nice - we will always stay there on our return trips.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank Sharonae
SACRAMENTO
Reviewed May 3, 2005

I made my reservations 1 month in advance to my stay, at that time their cancellation policy was 24 hours in order to not get charged. I called 4 days in advance to cancel and was told I could not, because their policy had changed, it is now a 7 day cancellation period!! Even though my reservation was made prior to their policy change they still would not honor the 24 hour policy. I still cancelled and was charged in full for my reservation!!! Make sure to ask about policy changes, and beware!!

Stayed: May 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 10, 2005

Looking for a great value in Santa Cruz?? This is our favorite. There's many choices in town, and we have stayed elsewhere (usually make 304 trips to Santa Cruz each year) with mixed results. But for the best bang for the dollar, stay at the Ramada on Water St.

The rooms are large and new. Great beds, nice bathrooms, perfect (free) breakfast, fantastic pool area. The managers are sooo sweet and friendly, we once even asked them to join us for dinner, but they had plans already. Each time we're there, we notice they improved something which is wonderful considering it usually wasn't wrong to start with. They say the owners prefer to "stay one step ahead" of things. They truly treat the place like their home, and you will too!

• Stayed: January 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 11, 2004

I would never return!! Upon arrival we were informed that the door to our room had a "problem" lock and we just had to push hard. This door was more than a problem, it was broken. I can't understand why they gave us this room when the hotel wasn't completely booked. After the first night and bruises on my hands from pushing the door open, I asked to change rooms. We then had to move our stuff to a different room.

We returned home in the early evening to the new room to find the toilet had overflowed and was clogged. When we called the front desk we were told housekeeping was gone and they were "shocked" that we were having plumbing troubles. After several calls a young girl showed up with a plunger and WANTED ME to "plunge the toilet"!!! She finally did it herself, and when I asked who would cleanup the sewage water on the floor, she told me that we should do it ourselves since housekeeping was gone!! I asked to speak to a manager and she told me it was just her and that the manager was at dinner and did not want to be disturbed and that she couldn't change our room. The tiolet still didn't work, however we were forced to stay in the room.

In the morning they sent Housekeeping to "assist us", the maid said that the management was well aware of the "plumbing" problems. I also spoke to two other guests who were having plumbing problems and the lack of response. When I spoke to the manager all they did was refund $25, pathetic. This appears to be a family-run business with very little attention paid to "repeat customers".

• Stayed: November 2004
8  Thank LizzieB
San Jose, CA
Reviewed November 6, 2004

We've originally stayed at the Ramada Limited on Water Street two years ago (and many times since!). After previously trying 6-8 other motels in SC, we heard recommendations for two hotels in town from a variety of friends -- this Ramada (there's two in town, I think) and the Victorian Inn. Both came very highly recommended for their very clean and well-maintained rooms, pool, and property as well as exceptionally friendly staff. Turns out they are the same property -- the Ramada used to be the Victorian Inn, before they signed up with Ramada.

The only possible draw-back we heard was that they were firm and strict about their "no pets on the property" policy, reminding guests at reservation and check-in. As cat owners, I appreciate their stance and notification ahead of time, so we could plan accordingly. The cleanliness and quietness of the property was well worth the policy. The owners/managers are the friendliest and most gracious of hosts. The property is convenient to everything in town, and yet a block of the main thouroughfare (Ocean Street), so as to be quiet and relaxing. The pool is large and immaculate. Bedrooms (beds) and bathrooms are wonderfully clean and comfortable. The owners consistantly upgrade the property (during the off-season/days so as not to disturb guests).

BTW, our two-cents on the post re being turned away for extra people in the room.... whenever we make a reservation, staff asks us the # of guests in the room. The one time we tried for 5 in a room, we were politely advised that the limit is four, and would need to book two rooms (insurance/fire laws to follow and policy of maintaining quality rooms rather than risk damage and over-abuse with too many people). Another policy I appreciate and am thankful for. I cannot possibly believe that the managers could be close to being the rude type the other reviewer claimed. My guess is that she was trying to "slide one by" even after learning the policy and is complaining to cover her follies. Try calling them/staying there for yourself and see.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Martinez,CA
Reviewed September 7, 2004

Never actually stayed in our room. I called the day of our arrival to ask for a roll away bed. They said they dont have them and asked how many people. I told them 2 adults and 3 kids. They then told me we couldnt stay because they only allowed 4 people. No where on their website or anywhere else was this stated. The manager said we would be charged for both nights because we didnt give enough notice. I told him I didnt cancel, he wont let me stay. I called Ramada Corp. and they called the manager, Customer Care at Ramada Corp said they didnt know why the manager was being so unreasonable and filled a complaint against this location. The nightmare continued when we showed up at the hotel to have 4 of us stay. The manager and his wife were rude and they made us feel very uncomforable. They never tried to help us come up with a solution or offer to help us find another place to stay.(all the places I called were booked) Needless to say, these two moms and their 3 children under 8 years old had to hit the hwy back home at 11:30PM. Will NEVER go there again!!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member