Room #208, Two bed Suite (1 King & 1 Full in a very small separate room)
OVERALL: (Solid 2.5 of 5 motel)
We gave it the bump to 3 for its location only. Decent little 60's "Hole-in-the-wall" Motel that's only one block from the beach. Overall clean appearance. Not dirty feeling at all. Main complaint being the very slight musty and smokey smell. Rooms are non-smoking however there are ashtrays outside every room. No A/C means windows and doors are open and people are smoking outside your door. We could hear people talking on the balcony late into the night. Windows stayed closed to avoid smoke and noise.
1. Location-location-location! Note that some of the nicer places are only 1/2 mile from the beach
2. Room was clean and well maintained
3. Free WiFi internet was very fast... however it dropped out periodically
4. Friendly staff
5. Room included two fans to supplement the lack of A/C
6. Good ice maker available
1. Price: Paid $119 with $10 military discount. Higher rated hotels, only 1/2 mile from beach, were $89-$109.
2. Smell: Very slight musty and smokey smell
3. Temp: Warm and mildly humid in room (with fans engaged) due to lack of A/C
4. Bedding: Thin linens slightly dated. Not to par with most $120 per night hotels
5: Towels : Need replacing as they were stained, thin, rough and were insufficient to completely dry your body with he single towel provided per person (2 total)
- Sink did not drain properly
- Toilet barely flushed
- Shower head low and has no hand held extension. 5 minute "hour-glass" timer in shower to help you avoid running out of warm water
- Window covered in paint over-spray and is very loose fitting thus hard to close
- Transom from carpet to bathroom tile missing (carpet tack strip exposed)
7. Accessibility to Room: Pulling heavy luggage to room wash challenging as there is no elevator and you have to go both up and down stairs to get to most of the rooms on the second floor. We had to squeeze between cars with our luggage being careful not to scratch cars as there is no access to the main stair case.
Location is king and that is why it was sufficient for our needs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fireside Inn is located less than a 5-minute walk from the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and Coconut Grove. Under new management January of 2014, the Fireside Inn has been completely renovated to give the guest the best experience in the area. Other attractions within 5 miles are Lighthouse Field State Beach, University of California Santa Cruz, and the DeLaveaga Golf Course. Downtown Santa Cruz is a 10 minute walk, with dining, museums and shopping surrounding the Fireside Inn.The Fireside Inn Santa Cruz features free Wi-Fi. Free parking is included. All guest rooms are comfortably furnished with standard amenities including free high speed internet access, microwave, mini fridge, hair dryer, free local calls, alarm clock radio, and cable TV. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda and Travelocity so you can book your Fireside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradise Inn By The Beach Hotel Santa Cruz
- Paradise Hotel Santa Cruz
- Paradise Motel Santa Cruz