“DELICIOUS!”
Review of cafe gratitude

cafe gratitude
Ranked #34 of 377 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stumbled upon this cafe because I needed to change some monty in order to have some coins for the meter for parking.

I was in dismal. We sat down and could NOT, NOT order any food. After having an almost $200 dinner last night in a vegan restaurant in SF, I had to compare this crowded cafe.
The food was delicious, simple, full of flavor, uncomplicated, delicious.

All menu items start with 'I AM'

I loved it.

I had the I am accepting. Well, a delicious risotto made with brown rice, kale, nori, onion, avocado and sprouts and cucumber. Sounds simple? Had you ever thought about it??
Me neither.

I wanted to eat everything on the menu. Everything sounded delicious, yet uncomplicated.
Food is served in a relaxed environment. They donate a lot of food to charity and customers are invited to help them help the needy.

I wish I lived in Santa Cruz! I would eat there every day!

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Cafe Gratitude is one of several resaturants owned by the Engleharts, there is one in Berkeley, some in San Francisco and one LA area that is owned by their son. Unfortunately all but the LA branch will be closing soon, hopefully someone will take over the locations and stick to there menus because it would be a shame to lose this wonderful small "chain" of restaurants serving excellent quality and fantastic tasing food. Everything is vegan , half the menu is cooked and the other half raw. They grow a lot of their own produce and make all their own crakers and breads, absolutely everything is excellent, including the desserts. Totally nutritious and and guilt free indulgence! they have one item on the menu that you can just pay waht ever you feel you can for or you can pay extra so someone else can get it for free!

Reviewed December 22, 2011

We went to Cafe Gratitude on a Wednesday evening to celebrate my daughter's 1 year birthday and our 9th wedding anniversary. Ok, it was probably more for us that for her. Anyways, the food was wonderful and the service was fantastic. The restaurant is located in downtown Santa Cruz. Since it was a weekday night, they were not jam packed and we were able to get a table right away. They have a warm, comfortable atmosphere. Of course it is a bit hippy, but this is Santa Cruz. Our waitress was very helpful. She helped to recommend food choices. We shared the "I am luscious" chocolate smoothie (absolutely to die for). For dinner, my husband had the butternut squash soup and I had the miso with vegetable soup. Both were excellent. The butternut squash soup was spicy. For the main course, I had the corn tomale with black beans and spicy coleslaw - called "I am trusting". I also orderded side of avocado to add to the tomale. My husband had the raw pizza - called "I am hearty". He said the pizza was small, but filling and had a great taste. For dessert we enjoyed the pumpkin layer cake and the African tea. We even took a truffle home for dessert. I felt very good, even after eating all that food. You know how you can feel a little ill when you eat so much, but after eating at Cafe Gratitude you don't feel that way. The food is energizing. You don't feel like taking a nap after a meal. Eating out with a baby is always an adventure. Our little one knocked over my bowl of almost finished soup and a staff person quickly came over to clean it up. They even offered to get me another bowl, however I declined since it was almost finished anyways. The wait staff checked up on us frequently. Overall it was great experience and we would definitely go back.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

This place is over-priced. I paid $7.50 for a small plate of steamed kale. My husband got a sandwich that claimed to have coconut bacon on it. All it was was coconut flakes that were colored to look like bacon-- didn't taste anything like bacon. It took a really long time to get our food, too.

The food was not bad-- let me be clear on that. It was just overpriced and not what we were hoping for. Except the coconut pudding! Now that was good.

Look, I love vegan and vegetarian restaurants and would love to give this place a good review. But honestly, we were just not impressed.

1  Thank Atperts
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Cafe Gratitude in downtown Santa Cruz is a very friendly and inviting new vegan restaurant - energetic in the front room and calm and cozy in the back. The menu is fresh from their own Be Love Farms as well as local farms and there is both raw and cooked vegan dishes - my favorite - taco plate with cashew nut cream. Across the street is The True Olive Connection with infused olive oils and balsamic vinegars- my favorite Chipolte Oil with Black Cherry Balsamic. Right next door is Nut Kreations with nuts and dried fruits. You can make your own granola or trail mix. This is 103, 104, and 106 Lincoln Street and a Vegan Vision! All three are fabulous additions to downtown Santa Cruz, to the increasingly popular vegan diet, and they all offer excellent gift ideas.

1  Thank teddra