“A Nice Surprise”

Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
San Francisco
“A Nice Surprise”
Reviewed January 22, 2007

I was nicely surprised by my stay here. The beds are incredibly comfortable and the rooms are clean. The breakfast is a Hampton Inn standard, cereals and hot food options, that are fine for a free breakfast. The hotel staff is incredibly nice and helpful, printing directions and making local dining recommendations. There is a pool but no workout facility which is the only negative thing I can say about the place.

• Liked — Great beds
  • Disliked — No workout facility
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank BluemoonSanFrancisco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Merced
Reviewed January 20, 2007

This was one of the cleanest places I've ever stayed. The staff was so friendly, gave us great directions to everywhere we needed to go, they printed out maps, took the time to go over the directions with us and were extremely nice.

I was very impressed with the rooms, everything was clean, and the hotel parking was also excellent. The inside of the hotel is very nice, and they include a HOT breakfast as well as coffee 24 hrs a day. All the rooms face the INSIDE of the hotel so you don't ever have to go outside for anything which is great when its FREEZING outside. Also, I had to call the front desk for the wireless internet code and they were extremely friendly and in a world of ever decreasing customer service the Hampton hotel was a nice break.

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank grlkandi
Napa Valley
Reviewed January 5, 2007

A nice new Hampton Inn. Pleasent people, clean room, overall very nice. Only negative was that the breakfast buffet (free) was out of lots of food by 9 am. Hardly the end of the world.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
Milton Keynes
Reviewed December 2, 2006

My husband and I only spent 1 night at this hotel on our way down Highway 1. The check-in process was smooth and the staff were friendly. The room was large (we had 2 double beds in our room) and the beds were comfortable and had a choice of pillows.

The breakfast the next morning had a huge variety of options, hot and cold and all self service so was very relaxed. We paid $115 for the night so felt it was good value for money.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing
3 Thank iloveholidaylots
Arizona
Reviewed November 25, 2006

This is a great hotel for Santa Cruz CA where the majority of the lodgings are subpar. The beds are great and the rooms are nice and large. The negatives are that there was no work desk, the bathroom door had to be held open with a door stopper, and the front desk folks are not very friendly. The hot breakfast is terrible. Breakfast is served until 10 but when we got there at 9 on both days the hot items were gone and we had to ask for the items to be replenished. It seems that no one watches over the food. The coffee containers also takes a long time to be refilled.
We travel to Santa Cruz often to visit family and we will stay here again due to the lack of other options.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — the breakfast
3 Thank GoldwingGrammy
Boston
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I came to this site to write a not-so-good review of this hotel. I see that all before me really liked this hotel. I checked out after the first night. For work, I stay at Hampton Inns a lot., nearly every week. While this hotel was the worst Hampton Inn I've stayed at, I do agree it is not that bad overall.

It was only little things that annoyed me, nothing significant. I disliked that there was no desk to work on in the room, in fact the furniture was incredibly sparse. The bathroom door needed to be held open with a door jam. It was annoying to have to keep lifting it up and down constantly. In the lobby they had no hot water for tea, nor any hot coffee after noon - unlike every other Hampton Inn I've stayed at - and unlike any other hotel anywhere on the planet with a coffee/tea bar in the lobby. They placed people's checkout bills in front of their doors (for anyone to pickup and look at) and not under their doors. I had to experience a loud group in the back parking lot around 2 AM and a child playing in the hallway until 11 PM. These of course are probably one-time events.

On a good note, I found the staff to be nice and friendly and the rooms were clean.

I certainly would not tell you not to go here, as it was okay, and there are not a whole lot of options in Santa Cruz that are "nice", but it was indeed just that, okay.

• Stayed November 2006
5 Thank StuGrunt
Arlington, VA
Reviewed November 11, 2006

This place was as nice as everybody says it was. It was spacious. It had free internet. Beds were comfy. There was no noise issue. Location is crummy, the first in a long line of motels, but it is convenient to Route 1.

I don't think I'll be stopping in Santa Cruz any time soon, but if I did, this would be where I would stop. For breakfast, try the nearby Santa Cruz diner for superb waffles with strawberries and blueberry pancakes.

• Liked — Nice room, clean bathroom, free internet, price.
  • Disliked — Dreary location
3 Thank Sukibot