“Perfect Stay”

Hampton Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This was the perfect, but short stay.
I was in from Boston for a family funeral. This Hampton Inn was so easy to get to, safe, clean and the nicest people. Breakfast was one of the best I've had, fresh, and local flavor.
When returning here for a longer, happy stay, I will definitely stay here. So close to the beach, boardwalk and everything

Stayed: November 2013
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

It was a pleasure having you with us at our property, however we are sorry that your visit was under such sad circumstances. It's good to hear that our location, staff, and breakfast worked so well for you. We look forward to having you with us again, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Our stay at the Santa Cruz Hampton Inn was great. The staff and management went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. Sue and Ray run a wonderful hotel that I would recommend to anyone. The rooms were in clean and neat. Food was good, selection abundant and quality outstanding.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

We joke around with each other that Sue is our mascot, as it seems like she's the first priority for our regular guests to see when they visit! It's true that she and Ray make our hotel more like a home-away-from-home for many of our guests, and we are very proud to have them. Thanks for the great review, and I'm glad that you had such a pleasant stay. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Santa Cruz!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is a great hotel! The rooms are clean and nicely furnished. The breakfast offers a decent variety. The pool is actually warm! It's on the smaller size, but our family played in there for over an hour!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thanks for sharing such a great review! It sounds like your family enjoyed their stay with us, and that I'm happy that they got to take advantage of our indoor heated pool. It was great having you with us, and we hope to see you again the next time that you're in the area!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The room that we had was clean and the beds comfortable. The parking spaces was a little bit small even for a compact Ford Focus. We were lucky to find a parking spot that was not too close to other cars. The breakfast that they served was ok. The only problem that we had during our stay was that the card keys did not work in our room. The front desk clerk re-programmed the keys and it worked. However the following morning when I went out to the parking lot to bring our bags to our car the key did not work when I was using it to reenter the hotel building. I have to walk around the building to enter through the main entrance. I told the front desk clerk may problem using the key but it seems that she can't figure out the problem. Then she said that her shift will end in 15 minutes and the incoming front desk clerk will be able to help me. I guess she might be overworked and exhausted and can't wait to go home for a much needed rest. Overall our one night stay in this hotel was pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room clean and comfortable, but I'm sorry that you experienced difficulty with your key cards. I will speak to our front desk staff and ensure that everyone is familiar with proper troubleshooting procedure. I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again the next time you're in the Santa Cruz area.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The check in "customer service" lady argued with us when we questioned the difference between online and phone price quotes we encountered, then told us she "would be happy" to have us stay at another hotel, even though we weren't being belligerent and were just simply inquiring. Our room smelt like septic waste back up, the beds were shaky and flimsy, and mattresses were very past their prime and extremely soft to the point of hurting. The walls are paper thin, and our room looked right onto a roof which entirely obstructed the view. It was like staring into a brick wall from 5 ft away. Coffee pot set up is weird and you have to take the entire coffee maker into the bathroom to make coffee each morning; the microwave is nearly sitting on the ground. The septic smell literally woke us up one night when we forgot to close the bathroom door and when I complained to the desk about it, the man there smiled and said "yes well that sometimes happens". UM WHAT?! So they already knew and have done nothing... Nice...so glad we spent 170+ a night for that crap (literally).

1  Thank Hummingbird676
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

I am very surprised to read that you had such a disappointing stay. I have spoken to the management and staff about your complaints, and they are being addressed. I apologize if there was any miscommunication at some point during your stay.

As you know, we have already been in contact with you and reached a satisfactory resolution, which we are pleased to have provided, but I wanted to address your concerns here, as well. I appreciate your time, and hope that we can have you with us again, and that you experience a more enjoyable stay in the future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This Hampton Inn in Santa Cruz has exceeded the services level as expected by Hilton Hotel Chain! Myself and my son have stayed in this excellent hotel for the past 30 days. We would like to express our sincere thanks to the strong leadership & management of Sue/Ray as well as the front desk servicing team members (Josephine/Samantha/Diane/George/Thomas and Jason), they have provided us the great and family like services during our long stay. As for the breakfast and housekeeping teams were excellent, the hotel room very clean and great breakfast everyday especially the waffles. Great lobby with the breakfast area and complimentary juices & coffee/tea all days. The complimentary access to PCs and printer facilities were really value added features. In summary, excellent hotel for short and long stays and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone whom are and will be visiting Santa Cruz in the near future. As for location, easy access to Santa Cruz downtown and also the airport shuttle stop. Finally, I would like to say thanks again to the great family like teams that Sue and Ray have built up to deliver the Hilton promise services and standards to their guests and Hilton Honors Members. Regards, J Cheung (Singapore)...

Room Tip: Remember to book early to avoid disappointment as this Hampton Inn is always full and very popular.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jonathan_YK_C888
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Whoa! Thanks for taking the time to give us such a great review! It was a pleasure having you and your son with us, and I'm very happy to read that you enjoyed your time here so much. Thanks for mentioning our staff by name, and especially Ray and Sue, the unsung heroes who have made this hotel their second home. I'm very happy that you found our breakfast and computer access to your liking, as well, and that you were able to fully utilize our offerings. I wish your son the best of luck in his schooling, and we all look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to see him! Thanks again for the review, as well as choosing to staying with us!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This Hampton in Santa Cruz was a great place for our family to gather for a wedding trip. With lots of family there we appreciated the large gathering/breakfast room/ lobby that allowed us to relax and visit. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was tasty with coffee available all day.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you found your room, our breakfast area, and the breakfast itself to your liking. While we do not have banquet facilities or meeting rooms, we find that many wedding groups like to stay with us due to our convenient location and value. Thank you for the great review, and we look forward to seeing you and your family again, perhaps for a future anniversary gathering!