“Santa Cruz Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Caracas, Venezuela
“Santa Cruz Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Good vacation. The hotel is well located. Good breakfast, close gym about half a mile. The staff was good. The room was clean, quiet, tv with a lot of tv channels to choose. There were groceries store close and santa cruz down town is also close. Santa cruz has plenty of good restaurants and their people are friendly. There you can see sea lions very close, surf, scuba diving, etc.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
We're so glad that the hotel worked out so well for you! And also really glad that you were able to avail yourself of so many of our local services. May I suggest that you try a Segway tour next time you're here on vacation? They just opened up near the Wharf/Boardwalk, and the tour is REALLY fun!

Thank you so much for writing in, we are really happy that you stayed with us and hope that you will come again next summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Lovely hotel. It's has a unique layout, reminiscent of an Embassy Suites. It has the breakfast included, like every Hampton out there, the free Internet, and a small pool for children inside. Definitely perfect for wintertime swimming.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thanks so much for mentioning the hotel design! It was in fact modeled after the Embassy Suites, as you noted, and I'm so glad that you liked it. We hope that you'll back again to use the swimming pool this winter! thanks for writing in.
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is the third year in a row that my friends and I have made the trip to Santa Cruz to participate in the Wharf to Wharf Walk/Run (a yearly race/walk event which starts from Santa Cruz and ends in Capitola). Just by luck the very first year we were there (2010), we picked the Hampton Inn on Ocean Street.
We were immediately made to feel welcome and quite at home. Our room was bright, airy and very clean. The staff called to make sure we found everything we needed and advised that if we needed anything, please just let them know.
The next morning, prior to the start of the race/walk, we were pleasantly surprised by the variety of food at their breakfast offering (hot and cold cereals; scrambled eggs, toast, bagels, fruit, and of course coffee and juice).
We met with the same excellence in both service and cleanliness of our room in 2011, so there was no question but that we made the Hampton Inn our "home away from home" when we made the trip back down to Santa Cruz for this year's Wharf to Wharf (2012). It indeed feels like this has become home to all of us. And this is where we plan to stay when we participate in the 2013 Wharf to Wharf event in Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: We prefer a room toward the back of the hotel since Ocean Street is one of the main thoroughfares in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow, you just made our day! Thank you so very much!!

We're delighted that you've chosen to make us your home base for the Wharf to Wharf race (and congratulations to you on that, as well). Thank you for mentioning that you enjoyed our breakfast... we've recently worked on revising the menu a bit, and are so glad that you noticed the improvements. As for your compliments regarding our facility and staff, this is exactly what keeps us going so THANK YOU most sincerely for that, as well.

Again, thank you for your lovely letter and we really look forward to seeing you again next July. Until then, happy travels and happy training!
anywhere, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I travel on a weekly basis for work and practically live in hotel rooms. Upon checking into this Hapmton there were 2 reservations somehow for my name. After getting a 15 minute lecture from a guy clearly younger than I, he cancelled one of the reservations and told me how inconvenient it was because they were completely booked the following nights. After making me feel like a jerk (even though I stay with this brand 3/4 weeks a month), I proceeded to my room where I would be staying for 5 nights. The room itself was fine. Good space, nice bed and amenities like a computer table for the bed and cable tv. However, the guy who was obviously trying to teach me a lesson for the double reservation put me right next to the elevator, which is next to the maitenance room for the cleaning staff, which is right next to the pool, and a door to the back parking lot. Needless to say until midnight every night I heard that back door slamming and the elevator dinging. Then promptly @ 6am the staff is getting into the maitenance room and slamming that door. It was really frustrating to be staying somewhere for business and be in the worst room possible to get any sleep OR work done. My profile for this hotel chain specifically asks to be placed as far away from the elevator and pool as possible, so I can get stuff done. And since there were two reservations I am confident the guy who checked me in was trying to prove a point to me. Point proven jerk-o.
On the flip side the breakfast was good with several choices as serve yourself, and great coffee. Also there is another young man who ran the front desk 3/5 nights I was there and he was extremely pleasant to deal with.
All in all, the stay was just okay. Close to downtown and beach.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor at all. All the rooms are sort of in a common area and it has a se...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
I am so sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with your stay, and do apologize for that. I have spoken to the Desk Clerk who was on duty the night that you checked in, and feel that there has been a misunderstanding. Again, I'm very sorry about this.

As late summer is our very busiest time of year, unfortunately we were sold out the night that you arrived. Also unfortunately your profile for some reason did not display any information regarding your room preferences, so when the rooms were auto-assigned to you they were both on the first floor.

The Clerk on duty actually chose the room that he thought would be more private for you, as it is further away from the main entrance to the hotel. Again, I'm very sorry that this didn't work out. We certainly value your patronage and would never have intentionally given you what might be deemed an inferior room, not even to 'prove a point.' This issue aside, I'm glad that you were happy with other aspects of your stay, and do hope that your trip to Santa Cruz was productive.

Again, we're very sorry that you were unhappy with your room, and we would certainly have been happy to reassign you at any point had we known of the situation and had a room been available (again, during the late summer this can be tricky as we are sold out almost every day).
Thank you for writing, we're always trying to avert situations like this from happening and your feedback will help us to do this in the future.
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Typical Hampton with all their usual amenities. Nicely laid out, clean, nice pool. For us, wanting strolling access to the Boardwalk, it was too far to be convenient at about two miles. Hotel good, location not so great!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review, we're really glad that the hotel met your needs while you were in Santa Cruz. About the Boardwalk, though... we're really sorry that it wasn't made clear to you that the hotel is not on the water. Our address is "Ocean Street" and that implies that we are, but we're actually at the other end of Ocean Street and two miles from the ocean. So sorry for the misunderstanding! We've tried to clarify that on our website and other listings, but sometimes I'm afraid the message gets lost. We're very sorry for any inconvenience if you were expecting to be walking distance to the Boardwalk, and hope that you had a nice time while you were here in any case. We hope that you will come and stay with us again another time.
Rancho Cordova
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband, 3-year old son and my parents stayed here for two nights in July. We had rooms 314 and 315, which are in the front of the hotel, as close to the street as any room. The hotel is right off the freeway and as close as it is to a very large and very busy intersection, the room was surprisingly quiet thanks to dual pane windows that worked quite well. Except for the occasional truck or Harley, the traffic noise was not too bad. The good part about being in front is that our rooms overlooked the front parking lot and we could see our car the first night. The room was very clean, and my favorite part was a Post-It looking note stuck to the headboard (picture attached) saying the sheets AND duvet cover were clean. It was a very comfy bed, with a sheet, and soft duvet cover over the comforter, which you could actually pull up to your chin (no short-sheet beds here!) You could actually cover up and snuggle in!
The daily complimentary breakfast was GREAT. Lots to choose from and it was all pretty tasty! Our room had a small (but decent size) refigerator, microwave, coffee maker and DVD player, which all worked great and helped immensely!
My only complaints about the hotel are the following 3 items:
1) Parking: There is no security in either the front or back lot, and the back lot merges with the Denny's next door. Friday night, there was a man sleeping in the back lot, and Saturday night, there was a possible homeless man cruising around the front lot. The front lot is better lit, but the spaces are pretty tight and very limited.
2) Carpets: After being in the room for about an hour, my son's (clean) white socks were black - literally. Not dirty - BLACK. Either keep your socks on, or plan on washing your feet before going to bed. I have seen this in other hotel rooms, but this was one of the worst and fastest occurrences of socks picking up filth from the carpet. Why don't hotels clean the carpets on a regular basis??? Gross.
3) The only adjoining rooms are handicap accessible, and they won't give you a handicap room if you are not in need. I understand that and agree, but it would be nice if some of the other regular rooms were adjoining.

Room Tip: Rooms 314 and 315 are at the end of the hall on the 3rd floor, which is a nice alternative to having...
1 Thank LoFro2
Thanks so much for taking the time to send us such a great and thorough review! We love reading your comments and appreciate the thought that clearly went into this... feedback like this really helps us to gauge how we're doing. So thanks again!

We're very glad that you liked your room and found it to be spacious, clean and quiet (and that you liked the bedding! I have to agree with you there, I think it's pretty great too) and that you enjoyed breakfast. Now as to the other items mentioned... yes, our parking lot is an ongoing issue. We've taken steps to enlist the city's help in keeping trespassers off of the property, and hope that this will be effective. We really apologize for the situation, and are truly trying to improve it. And as to the carpets, wow I am really sorry about that! I will be discussing this with our head of Housekeeping and am sure that she will be working to resolve that soon. Thank you for the heads-up on this.

Thanks again for checking in with us... we really appreciate your comments. Hope to see you again next time you're in Santa Cruz!
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

On arriving at the Santa Cruz Hampton after a long day of traveling with our 8 year old twins, We were excited to unwind by the pool and relax in our room. First of all We were very uncomfortable to see the parking situation which was a poorly lit area next to a 24 hr's Denny's Restaurant which had shady people loitering the parking lot. It was hard to relax knowing our brand new 2012 suburban could be broke into at any time. We kept going down stairs and checking on it. As for the room it was nice and clean. As for our 8 yr old twins who were excited to go in the swimming pool that was featured in the website, It was very misleading. It looked like a large Jacuzzi. There were 4 kids swimming and they kept running into each other. it was a joke. We couldn't even fit in there and play with our kids. There was not even enough chairs for the parents to sit on. I had to sit on the wet floor while my kids tried to swim in this tiny pool. As for breakfast the dinning area was packed full with not enough seats. And for the guests that got a table they were getting bumped by the guests trying to fit in line to get there food. Very poorly laid out Hotel. We usually never have a worry when we are at an Hampton Inn but This Hampton Inn is not one I would recommend and after reading other reviews after the fact It seems like others feel the same way. We had booked the Hotel for two nights and were so worried about our car and the kids couldn't even play in the pool. Would not stay here again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
I'm so sorry that you were disappointed with the pool, it is a small pool and I really wish that we'd had the space to make it larger but unfortunately we did not. As to the chairs, I'd thought that we had plenty of lounge chairs and really appreciate your letting us know that we did not when you were here, I will speak to our Housekeeping department about this.

As we did are not aware of any mishaps I trust that you did not have any trouble with your new car. I know that the parking lot does get crowded on weekends in the summer due to the fact that we're so close to the beach and many visitors come in from out of town... I hope that this did not cause you any further concern.

We appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to write. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Santa Cruz!