“Visiting College Child”

Hampton Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed May 11, 2011

When I called to make reservations, Jason answered the phone. He assured me the hotel was beautiful, clean, safe location, and close to my child's school, UCSC. The rooms were super clean, and nicely decorated. The staff was great. The breakfast was good. I liked the location of the hotel. It was pretty quiet. While my child attend's UCSC for the next three years, this will be my hotel of choice!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2011

We are delighted that you found us! and look forward to your return visits over the next few years. So glad that you found everything to your liking... thank you for taking the time to write, we hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Santa Cruz

Reviewed May 11, 2011

This hotel is easily found right off the freeway. Close enough for a nice walk to downtown for shopping and restaurants. Plenty of free parking. Nice size rooms, very quiet and very clean. We had hilton honors points so didn't have to pay for the room. We would definately stay again if we are in Santa Cruz. Our teenage daughter said the pool was very small so she didn't swim. It was nice to have tea, coffee and hot chocolate available in the lobby when we arrived. We had a great dinner at Cale El Palomar at the harbor before checking in. My only complaint was with the complimentary breakfast. The tables weren't cleaned when guests left and the counters weren't being wiped down but it was sanitary enough. The stuff they called scrambled eggs with ham and cheese wasn't even edible. The sausage was edible but not very good. Stick with continental or belgian waffles. Better yet, go to Aldos and sit on the patio overlooking the harbor. Santa Cruz Diner is just a block down the street.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your very kind review! So glad that you found the hotel to be so convenient... I agree, our location close to downtown makes it very nice for those who like to walk to restaurants, movies or shopping. And I'm sorry about breakfast... will definitely make a point of having those tables wiped down more frequently. Thanks for the heads-up!

We really appreciate your taking the time to write in, and thanks for your positive feedback. We hope that you will come and stay with us again next time you're in Santa Cruz!

Reviewed May 3, 2011

We prefer staying at a Hampton Inn if we could find one, traveling with two kids, we find the Hampton Inn chains accommodating and restful. This one was a typical Hampton, nice and clean. One major complaint however, the pool. It was almost an afterthought and more of a large bathtub than a pool (jacuzzi would have prob been a better choice) I mention this only because again traveling with kids, we chose our locations based on certain amenities such as pool. The rest was fine though. The location was a bit further than it indicated as far as accessibility to the boardwalk etc, but it was fine. One final comment, housekeeping was VERY nice (I needed a few extras) and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Thanks so much for your review, and especially for the compliments for our housekeeping staff!! We really appreciate that.

I'm sorry that the distance to the Boardwalk/beach (2 miles) came as a surprise to you... I will definitely take a look at our website and see if I can make that a little clearer. Otherwise, I'm very glad that you found the hotel up to your expectations and hope that you will stay with us again next time you're in the area.

Thanks again for taking the time to write!

Reviewed April 26, 2011

Rooms at the Hampton Inn are clean and spacious. The elevator is exceedingly slow, so the first or second floors are the best bet. I wish the H.I. would invest in REAL dishes rather than the Styrofoam and paper plates. It would be environmentally friendly, and who likes to eat off Styrofoam!

The problem with this H.I. is the limited parking. If you go out for a late dinner, there may not be a space available upon your return. Moreover, there is a VERY old, tired Dennys that shares the parking lot. A lot of desirables hang out over there. I didn't feel safe parking my car in the back lot. The noise from the 24 hour Dennys can be a problem if you are a light sleeper, so ask for a room that faces the back of the facility.

All in all, the Hampton Inn is a good chain.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the back of the property
  • Stayed: May 2010
StephanieHilton, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2011

Thanks so much for taking the time to write it! I'm glad to hear that you were satisfied overall with your stay at our hotel, and would like to take the opportunity to respond to your comments.

I see that you last stayed with us about a year ago (May 2010) if that is correct? Since that time we have actually deleted all styrofoam products for our breakfast service and now use 100% biodegradable plates, bowls and utinsels exclusively.

I would SO love to be able to upgrade to "real" plates and silverware - we are definitely in agreement on that! - however, the problem is not so much in the initial purchase of these items as in the ongoing cost of keeping them clean. The cost for installing and operating the equipment (dishwasher, sanitizer, etc.) is really prohibitive - unfortunately making a good idea unfeasible.

Unfortunately, parking space is really at a premium in downtown Santa Cruz far more than many other locations in Northern California. This affects not just at our business but most others in town, as well. In fact, we are one of the few places in town to offer bus parking, as most other hotels simply do not have the space for it.

As far as I am aware, all of our guests do find parking! but no, unfortunately we cannot accommodate all of them in the front of the hotel.

We really do try our best at the Hampton Inn Santa Cruz to make every guest's stay the best that it can be. I hope that you come stay with us again soon - you're really going to love those biodegradable plates! :)

Reviewed April 24, 2011

Needed an early breakfast, easy highway access and a good night's sleep and got them all. Was able to leave my laptop for safekeeping with responsible staff.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
StephanieHilton, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

Fantastic! Thanks so much for taking the time to write in and let us know that your stay went so well. We really, really appreciate it... and hope that you will stay with us again next time you're in town!

Reviewed March 30, 2011

I went on a business trip with my husband to Santa Cruz. To make it special we looked at motels/hotels/B&B's by the beach. The rooms were old, small, and pretty distastefully decorated or ridiculously pricey if they were nice. We were not comfortable with any of the situations so we remembered we liked Hampton Inns. WELL, don't even try to go to the other places. You can walk to town from this inn and it's 100X better than the others. So fresh and clean, large room, amazing bed, linens, pillows, and so clean. The staff is super nice and helpful. We enjoyed the breakfast and even were given a later check out time than all the other hotels. The price seems like a bargain for what you get. I will always look for a Hampton Inn when I travel now. It's so worth it!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank honest71
StephanieHilton, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

Thank you SO much for this wonderful review!! We are delighted that you remembered how much you love Hampton :) because we love having you here! Please come again when you're in the area and again, thanks so much for taking the time to write in.

Reviewed March 1, 2011

We stayed here one night in mid February. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly in giving us dinner recommendations and travel options. The room was very clean, comfortable, and quiet. We would say however that the breakfast was weak - definitely factory food, the quality of which is not up to the usual Hampton Inn breakfasts. But there is a Denny's just steps away next door, which was very good. We would stay here again if in Santa Cruz.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
StephanieHilton, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to send in this review! We're very glad that you enjoyed the hotel, and also appreciate your comments about breakfast. We're actually kind of held to a certain menu (i.e., don't have a lot of choice in what we serve for breakfast) but maybe there is something that we can do about introducing new menu items.

Thanks for pointing that out! And please come and stay with us again when you're back in Santa Cruz.