“Always Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #110 of 368 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Eclectic Pan Asian dishes. Vegetarian, seafood, lamb and chicken with a wok emphasis since 1972. Cafe, catering culinary classes, food festivals, beer and wine. Open for lunch and dinner. Special events on Sundays.
Pleasanton, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

India Joze serves delicious fusion food from the Silk Road & regions South and Southeast Asia: essentially from across Asia and the Middle East. There is surely something for everyone on his extensive menu: I've had Persian, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Thai, Turkish, Indian, etc. meals here and all have been wonderful. I've been eating IJ's food for several decades - initially at a larger restaurant in Sta Cruz years ago, and missed his delicious food when they closed down w the economy. My family and I are so glad that he has returned, so although we live outside the county, whenever we visit Sta Cruz, this is where we eat as it is our favorite food in the whole county. The hard part is trying new things because the favorites are so good you're tempted to stick with what you know you love, but I've never been disappointed and family and friends have always enjoyed whatever they ordered.

IJ has both a fixed menu of favorites and a rotating menu about as large a selection and very toothsome baked goodies for dessert if you have any room left. You can season the food to taste w little sauces selections or just go with the always tasty seasoning they give you, and almost everything can be vegetarian option.

IJ is located across from the Bus Station, and those lucky folks who come into town on the bus would be smart to walk across the street and meet the best of Santa Cruz cooking, as I don't think it gets any better than this! IJ also caters and I've heard about it from several friends who were very happy clients but have not personally catered an event. If I lived closer, I would.

Music ranges from Asian to Classical and IJ features local artists on the walls so there is always some fresh art to enjoy. The only warning is: bring cash since no credit cards are accepted.

• Visited February 2014

Dayton, Ohio
“Tasty, Affordable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I went into to India Joze's because we were hungry and in a hurry, but the food was awesome. Both the flat bread and the Dahl were tremendous, and it was a big platter for $6. We are actually headed back for dinner now. I definitely recommend stopping by..

• Visited November 2013
San Francisco, California
“Love it when Jozeph cooks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

The lamb burger is awesome. The Basa Metsaltsa is amazing and I almost always order it. I miss the lamb in pomegranate cream sauce. That was delicious! The dahl is the best value with hearty delicious soup and fresh baked naan bread. Cash only!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Santa Cruz, California
“dirty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We got sick there after just a simple rice dish. Check out the kitchen. Yuk. It has interesting choices, but lots of money for very dicey results. Watch out for additional surprise objects in food like hair or sponges.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jes S
Hasselt
“Great place at a very affordable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Joze may not be Indian but he knows how to cook, even when wearing his hat. I had the Dragon Chicken which had a little bit too much lemon for my taste but was nevertheless very good. India Joze is a small, crowded, rather loud place, playing gamelan music to a very diverse public which seems to consist of very loyal regulars. I would certainly go there again. And it's very cheap!