“Nice to have them bacc”

Ranked #127 of 372 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Eclectic Pan Asian dishes. Vegetarian, seafood, lamb and chicken with a wok emphasis since 1972. Cafe, catering culinary classes, food festivals, beer and wine. Open for lunch and dinner. Special events on Sundays.
Santa Cruz, California, United States
“Nice to have them bacc”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Have been back twice now and was not disappointed. They are not the same as 20 years ago, but still a very welcome and very good business to have back in my home town.

Visited March 2012

“Eclectic Dining at It's Best”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

A must-visit restaurant experience in Santa Cruz. The menu defies classification, but has strong South-East Asian influence. My wife and I had two different Vietnamese dishes that were fantastic. The margaritas are beyond description, and are the best I ever had. Wish I was in Santa Cruz longer than a night as I would return and sample more of the menu.

1 Thank Jeff_Townsend
Alameda, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“India Joze's unconventional take on Global Cuisine favorites dazzle my palate.”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Some other reviewer who left a poor review just doesn't "get it." They expect to have the regional favorite dishes on offer at India Joze taste precisely the way they do when you are eating at a Thai, Vietnamese or East Indian restaurant run by those respective national peoples.

Lets just say that these incredible delicacies on offer at India Joze are wildly creative homages to the traditional cuisines found worldwide, executed with freshness and idiosyncratic verve. So what was originally more or less replicas of traditional dishes on offer from all over the world and ends up being its own completely new and wonderful and exciting local Santa Cruz cuisine. Its almost like boarding several jet airplanes for Greece, Turkey, Australia, Vietnam, Thailand, Bali and India, and then ending up in a parallel universe heaven realm with ambrosial chutneys and scintillating spices, tropical drinks and global home style desserts.

And if there is a heaven, Joseph Schultz is going to be a chef there.

Now, food aside, here are the facts about the restaurant:
1. It's very affordable. Which is shocking, given the rarity and quality of the food.
2.It appears to be difficult to park, but there is always a parking spot in the little parking lot next door, or on the street, which has meters, though.
3. It is a very informal and casual cafe setting compared to its former incarnation.
4. The chairs are high, unless you get one of the nice tables. Its not really "cozy" but the warmth of the food ups the coziness factor.
5. You order at the register, and it is cash only last I knew, so make sure to bring some.
6. I'm a Joze fan and eat there a lot. I have the good fortune to have sampled the cuisine over many years when it was at its former location, and my appreciation of this establishment takes into account the Gestalt of what I experienced over years of exposure to undiminished culinary brilliance.
7. That being said, this restaurant is only a few facets on the gem of the Auteur Joze's brilliant repetoire, which is a shame, because of spatial and budgetary constraints...so therefore this menu is more limited, but there are always weekly specials, and you can follow them on his Facebook page. I live in the valley, so I never make it over in time to take advantage of the online specials. But I always eat there to support this local treasure, and I visit Santa Cruz often.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Kristin108
california
“Food was good but questionable cleanliness of restaurant”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I enjoyed the food. Had shrimp chips and eggrolls for appetizers. Eggrolls were very good. Hubby had a fish dish that included feta cheese and was quite tasty. I had a mushroom/chicken dish that was just o.k. There are a variety of sauces on a nearby bar that you can add to your dish. What turned me off about the restaurant was the dirty table cloths on most of the tables. If you're not going to change the tablecloths after each diner, please don't use them at all. At least you will be able to wipe off the spills and keep the tables clean. The restaurant also shares a space with a dance studio. About 2 minutes into the start of our meal, the studio had some live bongo drummers drumming very, very loudly. It was very distracting and irritating, forcing us to rush through our meal. I left with a headache...ugh. Not sure if I would come back here again. I remember the old India Joze when it was a full service restaurant and included a larger menu which I enjoyed much more than this one.

• Visited November 2011
3 Thank questo
Boston
“Funky, but the food is fabulous!”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Okay, it isn't the Ritz and you go to the window to order your food and pick it up, but everything we ate was incredibly delicious. And the recipes are quite unique. The ambiance was lively and interesting. The owner writes cookbooks, hooray, and hopefully we can recreate some of the wonderful dishes at home We would go back in a heartbeat.

Visited October 2011