“Beautiful restaurant, food could be better!”
Review of Laili Restaurant

Laili Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Laili Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 374 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pacific Avenue
Description: For centuries a five thousand mile trade route has joined the Mediterranean to China through Afghanistan and India. Known mostly for the Silk Trade, the Silk Road has acted as a conduit of ideas, cultures, music, food & spices throughout all of its regions. Laili aims to bring the age old flavors and traditions of the Silk Road to life by creating a positive and relaxing environment with a culturally rich and flavorful dining experience.
Reviewed December 30, 2012

It's been a while since I've had a really great Afghan food. We used to have a really great one in Santa Cruz (The Parwana next to the Rio Theater) but they closed. We decided to try the Laili after reading about it. Firstly, the restaurant itself is beautiful with great contemporary decor. The servers are helpful and also have a "contemporary" look. We didn't have a reservation but we came early for dinner so we we're able to get a seat for 3 people. The girl that greeted us and sat us did say that she has another reservation in 1.5 hrs. so in an indirect way she is telling us to be out of there by then. No problem I am there to satisfy my craving.
For appetizer we ordered a pumpkin bolani. The bolani is good but very small serving. We also got a complimentary flat bread which was soft and tasty. As a vegetarian I was excited to order their Sabsi Challow. Well, it was a disappointment. The spinach looked and tasted as if it was canned or frozen. It did not taste fresh at all :-( I would have expected more for the price I paid and for such a beautiful restaurant. For dessert my husband ordered baklava to go. He got 2 small pieces of baklava for $6. It was good but not worth the money. All in all, it was an okay place not as good as The Parwana(I really miss that place!).

There are newer reviews for Laili Restaurant

Reviewed December 28, 2012

fine mediterranean type dining at its best! Great beer menu and very friendly staff. Great place for that special occasion.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Revisited Laili in December and the meal was delightful and tasty. We ordered the Ashuk dumplings as an appetizer and the spinach salad (with fired goat cheese) and tasty they were with glasses of Storrs chardonnay and an Italian sparkling viognier (a special). My sweetheart ordered the prawn pasta with an interesting sauce, perhaps more of a Mediterranean dish and I had the lamb tenderloin skewer entree (I opted for potatoes as I'm not a big fan of rice). It was an enjoyable meal from start to finish. Although the restaurant tends to be noisy we scored a table (with a reservation) along the open wall, so conversation was not too difficult. The wait staff were attentive and the presentation by the chef visually pleasing. We will return again!

Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Touted as an Afghan restaurant buts its just Middle Eastern Food. Very noisy with terrible acoustics. Food prices ok but the wine list had poor selections and seriously overpriced. Guess that's where they are trying to make their money. Has an outdoor patio but dogs not allowed on it!!! Service not great either. Disappointing.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This place is not to be missed if you are in Santa Cruz and if you are even a little fond of Middle Eastern food. The ambiance is quite lovely with the sophistication of a city restaurant. The service is friendly and efficient. The food, though, is the crown jewel. The appetizers are simply wonderful and the portions so generous, a couple of these would make a satisfying meal. The Silk Road Plate along with another appetizer is just fantastic. Most surprising of all, the prices are reasonable. In short, I can't say enough about this place. Don't miss it!

1  Thank Rosiq