“Enjoyable meal on the "Silk Road"”
Review of Laili Restaurant

Laili Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Laili Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 372 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pacific Avenue
Description: For centuries a five thousand mile trade route has joined the Mediterranean to China through Afghanistan and India. Known mostly for the Silk Trade, the Silk Road has acted as a conduit of ideas, cultures, music, food & spices throughout all of its regions. Laili aims to bring the age old flavors and traditions of the Silk Road to life by creating a positive and relaxing environment with a culturally rich and flavorful dining experience.
Santa Cruz
“Enjoyable meal on the "Silk Road"”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Revisited Laili in December and the meal was delightful and tasty. We ordered the Ashuk dumplings as an appetizer and the spinach salad (with fired goat cheese) and tasty they were with glasses of Storrs chardonnay and an Italian sparkling viognier (a special). My sweetheart ordered the prawn pasta with an interesting sauce, perhaps more of a Mediterranean dish and I had the lamb tenderloin skewer entree (I opted for potatoes as I'm not a big fan of rice). It was an enjoyable meal from start to finish. Although the restaurant tends to be noisy we scored a table (with a reservation) along the open wall, so conversation was not too difficult. The wait staff were attentive and the presentation by the chef visually pleasing. We will return again!

• Visited December 2012

Los Angeles, California
“Overpriced and Noisy. Disappointing.”
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Touted as an Afghan restaurant buts its just Middle Eastern Food. Very noisy with terrible acoustics. Food prices ok but the wine list had poor selections and seriously overpriced. Guess that's where they are trying to make their money. Has an outdoor patio but dogs not allowed on it!!! Service not great either. Disappointing.

Santa Cruz, CA
“wonderful experience”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This place is not to be missed if you are in Santa Cruz and if you are even a little fond of Middle Eastern food. The ambiance is quite lovely with the sophistication of a city restaurant. The service is friendly and efficient. The food, though, is the crown jewel. The appetizers are simply wonderful and the portions so generous, a couple of these would make a satisfying meal. The Silk Road Plate along with another appetizer is just fantastic. Most surprising of all, the prices are reasonable. In short, I can't say enough about this place. Don't miss it!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Rosiq
“Outdoor patio with great ambiance and wonderful food”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were very impressed by the friendly atmosphere as soon as we arrived and we got accommodated to move after being seating inside to the outside patio. The outside patio is very cozy so if it is a warm day/evening make sure you get a table outside.
In regards to the food we were all very happy with all our food and my 8 year old loved the Pumpkin Boranee and Vegetarian Maush-awa soup. Lots of great vegetarian options and the balance of the spices are just perfect. We will for sure come back.

• Visited November 2012
Portland, Maine
“Like I remember”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I lived in Iran for a year and fantasize about Persian cooking a lot. Most Persian restaurants in my area do kabobs, but the subtleties of the more unusual dishes of that most marvelous cuisine seem only to be found in homes and hardly ever in restaurants. From the moment they put the plate under my nose, the aroma took me back. My dining partner wasn't trying to recall any culinary memories, but he exclaimed over his dish too, so I don't think it was all nostalgia. Laili's bills itself as serving "Silk Road" Cuisine, which gives them some good flexibility. I would definitely go back again.

Visited October 2012

Been to Laili Restaurant? Share your experiences!