“Cheap and Convenient”

Ranked #51 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Cheap and Convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

This motel was in a great location in Santa Cruz and was walking distance to the boardwalk and downtown.

The room was very cheap and although run down, it was tidy and hygienic. It offered all the necessary things we needed like a clean bed, tv, bathroom and towels.

The staff were also very nice too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RiccO12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
sacramento
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

This place is from Hell...The Indian lady is CRAZY!!..she acts nice when you check in but will harrass you your entire stay. We checked in and when we got to our room, the door had a huge gap when we went to the boardwalk and tried to lock our room door. The Indian lady will watch who comes in and out your door and will argue with you. During the morning of checkout she refused to give my deposit back stating I had a visitor in my room, Yes I did it was the pizza delivery guy delivering our pizza!!

Stay away....listen to me...stay away..Go to Pacific Inn down the street on Ocean St, its the Ditzey compared to this place...nice customer service, great breakfast in morning, clean rooms, heated indoor pool, and the price is cheaper!!...

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank razzyroz

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The staff was horrible!!!! The couple that worked the front office were so rude and disrespectful. We were there for a family reunion, some of our family stayed at the Big 6 and other family members stayed at different places. We were not allowed to go in family members rooms because they that've a "no visitor" policy, if we entered a room we did not pay for (my brothers room) the lady would knock on the door and tell us we needed to leave the room or pay extra for going in there. My cousing picked us up one morning to go to breakfast and the frond desk staff told him if he entered their property again without paying they would call the cops.
The first morning we were there the front desk staff was knocking on everyone's room saying the owners of a vehicle only paid to park their car there for 1 hr. and she wanted to know if anyone knew them. Later that day when we were leaving our room we asked the cleaning lady for directions, she was very helpful and polite but when the front desk lady saw her talkimg to us she yelled at her and said she was there to work not talk and yelled at us for "bothering" her staff.
One of the two nights we stayed there was no parking in the motel we had to wait 45 min for someone to leave because there wasnt a nearby place to park.
The morning we checked out the front desk staff tried going into my sisters room at 9am. Check out is at 11:30am. My sister opened the door when she heard someone trying to open the door, the front desk lady had a key an was trying to open the door, when my sister asked her what she was doing she said she wanted to see how much stuff they had in there.
Before we checked out my cousin dropped off my 12 year old nephew so we could bring him back home, when the front desk staff saw him they yelled at us and called us "nasty people" because we had a "visitor".

• Stayed August 2012
Athlone, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

nice place to stay we only stayed one night...had a tv and all the basics...but the walls were so thin it was hard to sleep ..nice pool outside and very close to the boardwalk...2 mins walk...would recommend for a quick stop over.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah H
Tracy, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

reserved a room last month. My wife and I arrived at the hotel and checked in - filled out all the paperwork, and then the lady tells us we need to pay a $20 cash deposit.. WHY? I said put it on the card, she said no. I told her I had no money, which is why I used a Credit card. the lady said she would not give us the keys with out it - go to the bank, get cash. I asked for the manager, and she said he was in India. Needless to say, I told them We wouldn't stay and filled a complaint with the Credit Card.

Room Tip: HORRIBLE customer Service - Seriously - pay the a little more for better service
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joshua F
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My friend and I were meeting our friends in Santa Cruz for the weekend and found a cheap room on the internet. At check in their card reader conveniently didn't work, so we started out having to pay cash. She gave us the rate, made change and then said "oh and a $20 smoking deposit." Reading earlier reviews, it's apparent that, sometimes they charge $10 for parking, sometimes there is a $20 deposit for a room key, etc.

We spent some time at the boardwalk, and our friends contacted us to tell us that they would meet us at the hotel to go grab dinner. We walked to dinner, came back and 5 minutes later, before heading out again we were approached by the Indian owner who began yelling in broken English that he was "calling the cops." He stood in the parking lot for 10 minutes while he ran our friends off of the property. My friend decided to stay in for the night, and not wanting my weekend to be ruined by the property owner, I decided to leave and stay with the friends we were meeting. When they returned to pick me up, he ran back outside again and forced us to give him the room key. My friend had to stay the night with no way to get back in the room without leaving the door open.

My friend told me at check-out that the smoking deposit was kept, regardless of us not smoking in the room.

Terribly rude people who are apparently extremely money hungry. Please do not stay here if you plan on doing anything in Santa Cruz besides pay $70 to sleep in a dirty motel room 2 blocks away from the boardwalk.

Some other notes for me to include are that there was a disgusting grey stain on the side of the bathtub, unidentified stains on the walls of the bathroom, no in-room phone despite advertising for it. Wifi is unaccessible from the room, but available in all public areas (which I assume to be the pool and 5'x2' office.)

Please be warned and learn from all of our mistakes. There are a certain amount of things to expect from a fairly cheap rate, but our experience was extremely uncalled for.

Room Tip: Please do not stay here.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank DanUSCG
Anaheim, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

This was a terrible motel and I will never stay here again. I suggest anyone who is looking into this motel to stay away from it as well. The only good thing about it is that it is within walking distance of the boardwalk.

I used to live this same neighborhood of the beach flats, about 2-3 blocks away, while I was a student at UCSC, so I know it is not the greatest of neighborhoods and that there are some sketchy people that you watch out for. So I know that for the staff (or owners, I couldn't tell which they were), they have to be on guard sometimes. However, despite the fact that myself and my group of friends who were staying here were friendly, obviously not doing anything bad, etc. the staff were extremely rude to us. Not only us, but other groups of people staying in the motel. In the morning as people were backing up their belongings into their cars, an old lady who I presume was one of the owners, stood in the middle of the parking lot, staring at all the groups of people who were going in and out of their motel rooms. It was extremely uncomfortable feeling like we were being watched the entire time. Then when we left, she started yelling at our group saying we had too many people and she was going to charge us and additional $100 per room. Mind you, the only "extra" people we had were friends of mine who still live in Santa Cruz who were meeting up with us at the motel so we could grab breakfast together. When we tried to explain that they had not stayed the night with us, she continued to yell at us that she was charging us extra and to leave because she was calling the police. We told her that if she is going to charge us extra that she then needs to give us a receipt, but she told us no and that she was calling the police. I was extremely disappointed at how rude the staff was to us, that we were charged extra unnecessarily, that we received no receipt and that she was threatening to call the cops on us without even letting us try to explain the situation.

Aside from the terrible customer service experience, the motel its self was also very dirty. In one of our rooms, we found a pair of dirty undergarments left in the corner behind the tv stand.

Given the experience that I had with my group of friends, I would greatly recommend not staying here at this motel. It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had traveling and staying in a motel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends