“Take it from an ex-resident: This is your best option for Santa Cruz!”
Review of Mission Inn

Mission Inn
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Take it from an ex-resident: This is your best option for Santa Cruz!”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I returned to Santa Cruz for a business trip after living there for a few years. If you cannot afford to stay at the Dream Inn, this is your best bet. The hotels near the boardwalk are in my opinion unsafe. They get broken into from time to time; I just wouldn't take the risk. The Mission is a very basic motel. The rooms are clean enough- just beware of the strong smell of cleaning fluid, and on the dark side. But, if you've come to Santa Cruz, you probably are looking more for a place to crash and won't be spending much time in your room. The hotel is a couple of blocks from the amazing grocer New Leaf Market and the rooms come with a fridge and microwave, so you can self cater. The motel is also a stone's throw from the very nice O'Mei Chinese restaurant. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I also felt safe there even though I had a ground floor room. Oh, and it's quiet in the back at night.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AmberSusan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Somerset
Reviewed August 21, 2010

From the outside this place looks lovely, and for the reasonable price is fine on the inside too - decent, clean, spacious motel rooms. SImple breakfast, funny little hot tub, a tiny courtyard for sitting outside, and a very nice check in person, Mike, who is a coffee fanatic. The problem for us was the location. The area is a bit seedy with no decent restaurants in walking distance. We ended up getting takeout from Safeways over the road. My own fault, but I had thought the Mission Inn would be much closer to the centre of Santa Cruz but it isn't. And to be honest, we found Santa Cruz to be a bit of a dump (aside from a few nice residential bits) with the only highlight being the elephant seals that "roost" in the struts of the pier. We had planned to stay three nights, but checked out after one. I felt sorry for the motel staff. They were obviously trying their absolute best to offer service, but there was nothing much they can do about the area they are in. Pick the Mission Inn up and stick it somewhere else and it would be perfect!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank luckywomanSomerset
Truckee, California
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We stayed at the Mission Inn after reading favorable reviews on here and on Travelocity. The motel is an older property, but looks well maintained. Our room was average or a little below - small TV (remote didn't work), old-school bathroom, funky but clean furniture. On a Sunday night the property was almost empty, but they put us in a room below some people who apparently walked the floor all night in wooden shoes - clomp, clomp, clomp until midnight, then again at 1:30am and again at 3:00, up for the day at 5:15am. No sound insulation between the first and second floors, apparently. Check out time was at noon, but at 11:30 the motel staff went into our room and moved our stuff out of the refrigerator to the office. I guess because the motel was pretty empty, the boss wanted the housekeepers to get all the rooms cleaned so he could send them home.

Not a great property, nor is it a great value. Plenty of good places to eat in the neighborhood, but I don't think we'll stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pbansen
Nottingham
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Despite being on the main road, the room that I had around the back of the hotel was very quiet.
The room was a standard motel type room. It was clean with a comfortable bed.
No problem parking outside my room.
Very helpful staff.
The motel was within easy walking distance of the sea front and the Boony Doon tasting rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reno
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Santa Cruz hotels are SO expensive. A colleague recommended either Mission Inn or Sunset Inn. They were both about the same price, and offered he same amenities, from what I could see. After much vascillating, I went with Mission Inn.

I am SO glad I did.

This is a quaint and pretty little two-story hotel. The staff was extremely friendy and helpful.

When I made the reservation, I was a bit leery of the noise from the busy street (which I had read about in reviews for both hotels), so asked for a quiet room. They booked me in one of their rooms facing their small courtyard. (The hotel surrounds a small courtyard). But when I got into the room, it was a little stifling because there was no air movement, and I didn't want to keep my door open for a cross-breeze since I was traveling alone. Also, when sitting on my bed, the view out the window was looking directly into another room's window -- very uncomfortable.

So I took a walk around the building and found some rooms in the back that actually had a nice view of their neighbor's mature trees. Quiet, and away from the busy street. The staff accommodated my request to switch rooms, even offering to help me move all my stuff over (which I declined).

I loved my room. It's not the Ritz, but the rooms are very clean, well-kept, and have all the comforts I needed, such as a nice-sized refrigerator, a microwave, and coffee pot. I had a room with 2 queen beds, which were very comfy.

I stayed over a weekend, and didn't really know what to expect in terms of noise (I was there on business and had to get up at 5a). There was a bit of noise coming from one of the neighbors, but it wasn't a late-night thing, just an evening BBQ. The nights were very quiet -- only the occasional traveler arriving late or coming back from a night out in Santa Cruz. In other words, any noise was short-lived.

Just out of curiosity, I checked out the other hotel I had almost booked, Sunset Inn which is right down the street. Firstly, it is a one-level hotel and all the rooms are in a row facing the busy street. When I looked at one of the rooms, it was incredibly similar to the room I was staying in, only the carpet was dirty and had a big bump in the middle of it that I nearly tripped on. It just didn't look as clean. And was certainly not as cozy -- more of a cold feeling, inside and out. On the upside, the staff was very friendly.

In the end, I was VERY happy with the choice I had made. The Mission Inn does not have lots of bells and whistles. It's just a clean, friendly, and comfy place to rest your head at an affordable price.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 9, 2009

The interior of the rooms were decent, clean, well maintained; very pretty tile in bathrooms. The exterior of the building, i.e. the courtyard, hottub area, patio and front, were meticulously landscaped and gorgeous. We were given a great deal by the most helpful staff member I've ever had a hotel. The continental breakfast is okay (don't expect eggs & sausage) but I have absolutely no complaints due to the fact that our rate was so excellent. The nights were quiet and peaceful. We very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family