“Comfortable and convenient - highly recommend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Inn

Mission Inn
Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Turlock
“Comfortable and convenient - highly recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located to UCSC, Natural Bridges, and a non-touristy area of Santa Cruz. Evening guest services person (the lovely red-haired lady) is friendly, efficient, and helpful. Our room was along the back on the second floor - very quiet and close to the jacuzzi, which is open until 11pm! Beds are comfortable and the room amenities are all a person needs for a comfortable visit in Santa Cruz. Walking distance to many varieties of restaurants, the wonderful Companion Bakeshop, with Safeway and CVS just down the street.

I found it quiet and very comfortable. They offer a breakfast, which I did not partake of but had very convenient hours - not at the crack of dawn and I believe it ended at 11(?). There is a beautiful patio next to the office with a fountain and seating.

They have put together the best area guide I have ever seen in a hotel. Great details of the area and a fun read.

There is plentiful parking which can be a little tight for cars to pass one another in the back; some parking is under the 2nd floor.

This hotel does not allow pets. I don't travel with my dogs, so this was not an issue for me.

Room Tip: Any room along the back and on the second floor would be excellent choices.
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I have stayed at the Mission Inn for 2 years in a row when my running group comes to Santa Cruz for the Wharf to Wharf run. It is a nice, clean, easy to find hotel close to lots of restaurants. Its very convenient for us to get to and from the race with no problem. The staff is always friendly and helpful, even recommended a great Thai Restaurant right next door! I will stay here anytime I am in Santa Cruz!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kimycarter1
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I wonder about other reviewer's standards when comparing reviews to my experience at the Mission Inn. Can't recommend the place and especially not at the price we paid! The hotel is below average for sure, but not quite poor. I was disappointed when we arrived and I saw what I had committed to financially. (FYI, very easy to overshoot the "in" driveway if you're not going slow on Mission St. Natural inclination is to turn into the "out" driveway where all of the parking stalls are angled for cars leaving the parking lot.)

We were given a choice of a room in the front where we could "hear the water fountain" or a room at the back of the hotel that overlooks the garden. What garden? It's all parking lot and building. Even worse, the room we chose so we could hear the fountain didn't even have a window at the end of it where the fountain was! We'd have to have kept our room door open ,to the street, to even hear the fountain!

While the rooms are very spacious, they are decorated in a minimalist style - bare bones all the way. Also, be advised that the bathroom sink/vanity area is in the bedroom. The towels are stiff and as rough as nails - great for exfoliating. Bed acceptable, not comfortable.

Breakfast was decent. Nothing extraordinary. Was disappointed that they started removing food 15 min earlier than we were told. Some of the items were gone when we got there! Be sure to get there way early if you want access to all of the food choices.

The finale was that the wi-fi is so slow I was able to use the bathroom and the page still wasn't finished loading! It was like that throughout our entire stay! The General Manager Kenn immediately contacted the company responsible for having recently upgraded their internet service. Hope he didn't pay much! It took me 1.5 hours to watch 47 mins of netflix streaming because it kept stopping.

Oh, and the location is way away from everything. If ALL you're planning on doing is seeing the UCSC campus, the location is great. Otherwise, it's pretty far removed from everything. I would suggest your dollars could be much better spent at a better located and appointed hotel. Keep looking.

Room Tip: Rooms at front have a lot of street noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank TravelingSoul59
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed one night - family of four. The room was roomy and they put us in the area above the parking lot (no one above or below us) . . . perfect for teenage boys who tend not to be light on their feet! The hotel was close enough to the beach and boardwalk that they were easy to find but far enough away that we could get away. The hotel itself was quiet. Front desk folks were both very friendly, the room was clean and in good shape. This is not a fancy hotel - but for what it is, it is very nice.

1 Thank travelUSA19
Temecula, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Here for ucsc visit. The room prices in sc during the summer are quite a bit higher then spring time. Mission inn was one of the better priced options. We were not disappointed. The room was clean and spacious. The breakfast was basic but did the trick. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Would return here.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank ringlug101
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I had an excellent experience at this hotel. Very clean, friendly and super helpful staff, specially Naomi (front desk). Great location near restaurants, grocery store and pharmacy. Near pretty much everything. Safe area too. Street noise was less than expected.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the second floor and probably in the back further away from the street.
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank MTB1014
Long Barn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Room was clean, and plenty large enough for Myself, and my two children. Shower is always important to me, when traveling, and was pleasantly surprised. Stream was strong, and took only seconds to get warm. Bar of soap, was a real bar of soap, not a 2 inch, tiny thing most hotels pass off. Plenty of towels, for the three of us, and more were quickly available when we went jacuzziing. I left a camera tripod by the office as we entered our limo, and when i called down to the office that night to see if anyone had seen it, manager not only had put it in safe place, but insisted on bringing it to my room, post haste, even though it was midnight. Loved the free breakfast on the enclosed patio, as it included not only donuts for the kids, but also fruit and yogurt for us old folks and fresh orange juice. Will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family