“Quiet. Clean. Friendly staff”
Review of Mission Inn

Mission Inn
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Off the beaten path, the Mission Inn was very clean and quiet. The staff we encountered checking in and out were friendly. The accommodations were nice; everything worked fine and all was clean. We only needed a place to lay our heads for the night and the Mission Inn was just right. All in all a pleasant stay.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Chad M
There are newer reviews for Mission Inn

Reviewed April 16, 2014

It was a good stop on my way to San Francisco. I walked down to the beach, but it is more than a mile away. Two miles from steamer lane and another mile to the pier. Not really a lot of places to dine within walking distance. It was a good value though.

Rooms were clean and that's all i wanted for a stop over, but I would not stay for more than 1 night here. This is more of a commuter motel than a vacation spot.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Rick C
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We spent the weekend at the Mission Inn on a weekend getaway trip with the family. Room was very clean and smelled fresh. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Location is 5-10 from the beach and there are plenty of stores and restaurants in the area. Nice quiet clean place. No complaints at all.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Mike F
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Have stayed here several years ago and decided to give it a try again. It is easy in and easy out. I had a Queen room and it was very large. I felt I could set up bowling pins and have a game or two the room was so deep.You are out of the hustle of Ocean St but with access to just about everything you might need. They have done some remodeling since I was there last and the outdoor patio is nice for a take away and a afternoon or evening glass of wine. It was raining the weekend I was there so couldn't take advantage of it. I look forward to my next stay in a few months.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank dimples_us_99
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My family and I just stayed in their 2-King room this past weekend and had a great stay. We drove up after work so we got in late but the staff was wonderful. We called and asked about where to eat and they were able to figure out where we were and give us phone directions to the wharf for a late night cup of chowder. Once we got to the room the desk attendant was more than happy to open the breakfast room and let me get a cup of coffee before heading to my room. The room was clean, surprisingly big and overlooked a courtyard. The breakfast was great (waffles and breakfast sandwiches in addition to normal continental breakfast) and the hotel is conveniently located across the street from a big doughnut shop. Overall we had 4 adults in the room and all of us thought that the room was a great room and were shocked at the value. Will definitely want to stay here again.

Room Tip: Breakfast room in on the second floor so if you don't want to use stairs before breakfast, reque...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank kristynkk
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Unpretentious, comfortable, quiet, convenient location, friendly and helpful staff. This was our second stay at this hotel in the past couple of years and I am sure we will keep coming back. We love the proximity to Natural Bridges, UCSC, Safeway, Kelly's French Bakery, Laundromats etc etc. Excellent pre-visit communication too. The outside lights are a bit bright, but the curtains are thick. The hair dryer did not work but otherwise everything was great. No complaints at all. Very fond of this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor, away from hot tub and away from the main road (Mission st) are the quietest.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2014

On a recent last minute trip to SC in early January, we booked a room here a few days ahead of time. (I remember this place from 30 yrs ago when it was truly a dump, but recent reviews were promising). We arrived at 9pm & were given a 2nd floor room in the back area of hotel. Though we were having crazy warm weather, the room was freezing cold. Even after running the heat for an hour, we could not get warm. Then I noted a gap under the door that was at least an inch wide, allowing the ocean wind to blow right in. I put a few pillows over the gap & that helped. Still, the beds had just 1 of those terrible fake velour blankets & even with 2 people in each bed our teeth chattered. Also, the blackout curtains had a huge gap, so that the harsh streetlights beamed right in from Mission street. We tried everything to close the gap but could not. This plus the cold cold room & no blankets = very bad night indeed. This is too bad, b/c the beds are super comfy & much nicer than you would expect. Why hotel/motels do not put proper blankets/quilts on beds is just beyond me. (yes there is a noisy heater blowing dusty air....can't sleep w/that on either).

The room was nicely decorated & spacious, clean & quiet. The staff are SUPER nice. The evening check-in guy could not have been more pleasant. I did not call the desk to complain about the cold or the curtain problem because my kids were asleep & I did not want any staff to come up.

Breakfast was average. Lots of pre-packaged lousy pastries, etc.
We would not go back without bringing our own blankets. For $140/night I should not need to do that.

Room Tip: Back of property will be quieter; check that curtains close all the way & for very large wind-ga...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family