“Nice property, good location”
Review of Mission Inn

Mission Inn
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
San Diego
“Nice property, good location”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The room was very clean and had all the amenities; fridge, hairdryer, good A/C, etc. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It's located near good eateries and grocery store. We only had one night to stay but certainly would've stayed longer. It doesn't have that "big corporation" feel; it's more homey.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Albizia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Anaheim, California
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed in the Mission Inn for three nights. It was in a nice location very close to a grocery store and the college. It is a bit dated but very clean and the staff was very friendly. I would suggest that they open the breakfast earlier. The room is very crowded right at 8 when it opens. If it opened earlier, I think it would alleviate the crowd. The selection is not great but ok for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SandFlower6
valencia ca
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My entire family and friends stayed here last weekend for a wedding. Through the entire process of booking, questions and our stay, the staff was so accomodating and helpful. The entire staff.

The individual rooms were great. The bed was so comfy. Convenient to have the microwave & ref in the room. The breakfast room was a good meeting spot for all of us to meet and the breakfast had a variety of items. Something for everyone.

We were going back and forth to the UC campus, and you couldn't get any closer. Many good restaurants within walking distance.

This hotel and the staff, accomdating all of our needs and desires. A+ in my opinion!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank patti c
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here right around the same time that another TripAdvisor reviewer discovered bed-bugs. I'm glad I didn't read that review first because we had a wonderful (and bug-free) experience. I guess this goes to show you that bed bugs can arrive from anywhere and can be found in what are otherwise the cleanest properties. We had no trouble here at all.

After blowing a lot of dough at snazzy hotels in L.A. and Santa Barbara, we were delighted when the woman at the Santa Cruz tourist office recommended this place that cost us $85/night with breakfast and parking included. We had already surveyed the honky-tonk beachfront/boardwalk area and told her that we preferred a place that was quieter but not completely remote. We thought that this suggestion was a home run.

After negotiating hotel parking garages for several days, it was a pleasure to pull our car right up in front of our ground-floor room. It was definitely a 50s/60s-throwback sort of place, but that was perfect for our needs. The room wasn't exactly what I'd call "stylish" but the furnishings were pleasant and in good repair. The room was very clean and spacious, not dowdy or depressing. We had plenty of room for our luggage and other gear, and the separate sink area with a huge vanity was a nice change from the cute inns or trendy boutique hotels that can sacrifice function for style.

Unlike the bed-bug folks, we had the breakfast area all to ourselves. It was your basic motel breakfast ... i.e., unmemorable, but it's hard to screw up yogurt. And we also had the hot tub all to ourselves and used it liberally.

I would definitely stay here again if I return to Santa Cruz and am grateful to the helpful woman in the tourist office who recommended the Mission Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PabloP
Rossmoor, California, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed lots of places this trip, mission inn was the cheapest, cleanest, had best wifi, and best breakfast and friendly staff? Certainly a bargain. We have paid a lot more for much less. Only downside, bed could have been better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shawna E
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed July 31, 2013

On the surface, it seemed nice and comfy for our family of five. The woman checking us in was super friendly and helpful. The hot tub location was a little strange but otherwise a decent night in an ok hotel.

Come morning, we noticed blood spots all over the sheets and our pajamas and when we pulled back the sheets, sure enough--bed bugs. My kids were bitten all over. We immediately notified the staff, who promptly reimbursed us for our night's stay (to their credit, they did seemed surprised, as if it hadn't been reported before?). I did however feel like I had to throw away all the stuff we brought in with us, which included pillows we brought from home and many other things, which I've since had to replace.

THEN, I don't know what we were thinking other than our kids were starving and grumpy after our horrible start to the morning, but we decided to head to the continental breakfast, included with the price of our room. There was a line for the breakfast room to open. We waited and waited with a dozen other people and nobody ever showed up. We had to leave and eat breakfast somewhere else.

All in all, the night we spent in this hotel, even with the reimbursement, cost us three times as much as it should have. Not a good experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Alaskans2013
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had been looking for a decent hotel/motel room in Santa Cruz for a Friday night, and almost every single place was >$200 until I stumbled across Mission Inn, so I jumped on it and booked it. I was relieved to see the reviews here, and it's all true. Check in was quick, staff was friendly. Our room was toward the back, and it was quiet, clean, comfy beds. Location is off a busy street, but has a grocery store and other convenient things across the street and nearby. It's also a short drive from the boardwalk and beach, and not too far from the downtown area either. A safe place for two young women to stay without feeling scared to come back at night. I would definitely stay again!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends