“Restaurant Name Says it All!”
Review of The Greek Authentic Cuisine - CLOSED

The Greek Authentic Cuisine
Cuisines: Greek
Northern Virginia, Virginia
“Restaurant Name Says it All!”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stopped in for lunch based on TA reviews and I wasn't disappointed! I haven't been to Greece for 30 years but the way the food was prepared ( by Vasili) brought back many fond memories of meals in Mykonos, Rhodes, and Corfu, and I immediately thought, "This brings back all of the tastes ands textures of the meals I had."

The atmosphere: As others have said, the decor is a stimulating and interesting experience in itself. I enjoyed it at lunch time but wouldn't if I had dropped in after a tiring day. The decor isn't restful but busy:
I enjoyed looking at the things hanging everywhere: ceiling to window sills: empty retsina bottles, blue/white flags, colorful cardboard cut outs of Greek people; on the walls photos of Vasili with patrons; his own drawings of various Greek figures, metal trojan horses and miniature Greek jugs on the window sills.

The Food: I chose the lamb souvlaki which came with several accompaniments: a generous salad of crisp romaine lettuce, kalamata olives, feta cheese, cucumbers and tomatoes. The salad was a meal by itself. My favorite thing on the plate was the tzaziki, and I would definitely order this as a main part of the meal if I were in town again. I loved the pita bread- very fresh and tasted homemade rather than from a supplier. I didn't touch the rice because my stomach was full.
My one complaint has to do with the heaping servings that literally spilled onto the table when the waitress set it down. The quality was high enough that the chef didn't need to resort to quantity to please me. In fact, super-sized servings turn me off.
I had a hard time keeping the salad, souvlaki, pita bread, tzatziki, and rice on the plate because the portions were so large that every time I put my fork into a piece of food, another accompaniment spilled over the side of the plate platter. I also didn't need my total calorie allotmernt for the day in one meal. My solution was to leave about 1/3 of the food on the plate, knowing I had eaten the equivalent of two meals.
Since serving sizes are so huge, my recommendation is for two people to split one entree... unless you're a big eater and extra calories aren't an issue.
I would definitely return if in town again.
Great food!

• Visited August 2011

CA
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Great food, good service, no wait, reasonable pricesi

• Visited August 2011
Punta Cana
“The BEST Greek food we have ever had!”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Very Authentic! Excellent Service! Only thing...make sure you have cash. No credit cards accepted.

SF Bay Area
“We'll be back with lots of friends”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stumbled upon this restaurant as we were exploring downtown Santa Cruz and had lunch (salad, lamb souvlaki, both very good). It was the best Greek food we have had in the US in a long time and the best Tzatziki we have had outside Greece ever. We'll be back with lots of friends so that we can order and try more of the food there.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Porquetevas
Fairfax, Virginia
“Authentic Greek”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

The place is not fancy but the food is delicious. The avgolemono soup is rightly lemony and perfect in texture. I had an eggplant dish with a perfect blend of vegetables and spices... delicious. I am certain to return to taste the other dishes.

• Visited June 2011