“Stunning views offset average food and service”

Aquarius - Dream Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Aquarius - Dream Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 380 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bay Street
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Let's start with the braindead fact that while we reserved a table for brunch at 11ish AM, we were only allowed to order from the breakfast menu till 11:30AM but not from the lunch menu. However, after 11:30AM we were only allowed to order from the lunch menu and not the breakfast menu. This meant that we waited till 11:25 for half the party to order food, then a little break (play the Jeopardy tune...), and then at 11:35 the rest of the party ordered their food. Either the kitchen is run by a fascist obsessive compulsive chef, or the staff had some weird hangup.

While the huevos rancheros looked pretty tasty, my shrimp salad was rather boring. At least the ingredients were fresh. Although I asked for the dressing on the side, I never got my dressing. The fish tacos were as gringo as it gets, i.e., they lacked seasoning. Ice tea kept flowing (attentive, thank you!), but overall this was not really an eventful meal that matched the stunning view of the beach.

No, I will not be back.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I would love to give this restaurant 5 stars as the food certainly merits it but the service is abysmal.
I had the pleasure of eating there twice in one week and all I can say is it definitely has the WORST service of any place I've ever eaten and twice in one week.
I obviously didn't go for the service but with a good friend or two anything can be laughed about if the food is great and it was on both occasions. The chef is very innovative and his fusions are spot on and beautifully presented.
The location is a gift and there isn't a bad seat in the house.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

If your kids want the chocolate chip pancakes, be aware that they are mostly chocolate chips, very little else!

This restaurant is part of the Dream Inn, and consequently is a little pricey. But service was good, and food decent. Go for the view!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We are staying at the Dream Inn for the weekend so we can attend a wedding in the area. We met up with other family members who joined us for dinner at the on site restaurant, Aquarius. We had seen other great reviews for Aquarius and found that the were right on. This was a wonderful dining experience. For our party of six, I reserved a table with a water view. It was beautiful, as is the decor inside of this place. We all ordered soup, some minestrone and some chowder. Both were served elegantly and were delicious. My meal of prawn and clam pasta Wes excellent. Others had the fish and chips and pasta Alfredo, again said to be scrumptious. The service was great . All I. All, loved it!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have gone to this restaurant several times with two other couples, primarily because it has a wonderful view. In each case reservations were made and a specific table that seats six was requested and agreed to. Last night we returned to this restaurant having made reservations well in advance and reserved the specific table that seats six and has a nice view, celebrating a birthday for two of our party. On arrival we were informed that the were giving the table to a party coming with a birthday and we were escorted to a table in the rear of the restaurant in an enclosed area with no view. We suggested that we were not happy with this space and suggested that they find a better solution and that we had made our reservation prior to the other party. We were informed that the manager was the only person who could change our seating and stood waiting for 20 minutes for some accommodation to be made. The manager okayed a table that, although not in a prime location, was a better answer but then had the wait person turn two 2 person tables sideways and tried to jam 6 people into a 4 person space. I indicated that this was not an acceptable answer and again the manager had to be consulted, again another wait. We gave up and simply sat down in the "back room area" and began to order our dinner. The wait person was pleasant, the service slow, the food mediocre and at no time did the manager approach us and at least apologize for the foul up.

Sum total great views if seated in a reasonable area, food acceptable but nothing special upper level staff should find another job not requiring decision making.