“Marvellous Breakfast”
Review of Pacific Blue Inn

Pacific Blue Inn
Ranked #4 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Good value for shopping location, can walk everywhere with ease. Only down side was some late night revellers being a little loud outside of their room, fortunately they managed to close their door after about 15 minutes and all was well. Breakfast for a vegetarian and a vegan was exceptional, food was worth the wait, as it was specially prepared!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 25, 2010

This is an incredible bargain very conveniently located in the heart of Santa Cruz. The rooms are sleek and modern; the amenities are quite nice. There is free WiFi and parking. The room rate includes a phenomenal choice of breakfasts. There is a charming courtyard which includes a lovely waterfall and firepit. However, there is one problem: The apartments next door are filled with students and the acoustics of the place amplify the noise they make and it resonates throughout the night. Also, we were there during an unseasonably warm stretch and the rooms are not air conditioned and got a bit warm.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We do not stay at B&B's very often. I am glad we found this one. A small, intimate inn with a charming little courtyard and we had a wonderful room. Small-ish, but very nicely furnished and soothing. The bed was sooo comfortable and the pillows even more so. The breakfast was really good. The chef knows what he is doing and it was served beautifully and by a sweet young waitress. The only problem was the loud band on our first night. A gallery downstairs was having an opening so we heard the loud band music from 6:00 p.m. on. It was over by 10:00 so it was OK. (and we had gone out to dinner anyway.) I liked the location in that it was one block from all the shops and restaurants of Pacific Ave. We walked a lot along there. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2010

This is more like a B&B than a hotel in that the breakfast is absolutely wonderful. The choices are unique and tasty. The rooms are average size, modern and with very comfortable/plush beds. It is an ideal place for couples who do not mind a few blocks walk to the beach or the main walking area of downtown Santa Cruz. We had a room on the third floor on a Friday night and found it to be quiet.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The beds were super comfortable. The public spaces and the rooms were clean. The staff was pleasant. The location provided easy access to downtown and the boardwalk, and while the area "seemed" a little sketchy, I do not think it was. In other words, it was near a car lot and off the beaten track. I do not know the area but the atmosphere made my wife and me bring the car to the boardwalk to avoid walking back the Inn with my kids in the dark, even though it was within easy walking distance. I did have to go into the parking lot around 2 am, and it was quiet, well-lit, and seemingly safe enough. The full breakfast was a nice touch and made the $150 we paid per room for three rooms seem easily worth it, and it was decent food. There were three rooms on each floor, and I would pick the middle room on the third floor. I felt sorry for the poor people in the room closest to the back door on the first floor as I am sure the door to the back slammed shut all night and would have made it hard to sleep. I would stay there again, but would hesitate if I had to pay more than $150 per night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Based on reviews we read here, we were prepared to like everything about the Pacific Blue Inn. Unhappily, our weekend began on the wrong note. Upon leaving the car to check in at the hotel, I stumbled on an unmarked and difficult-to-see sidewalk cut right in front of the door and sprained my ankle. The woman who checked us in was totally unprepared for this kind of emergency. Either they have no first-aid kit or didn't train their staff to give it a thought. Although I was in excruciating pain, the reception woman not only ignored my condition but, to my astonishment, walked us to our room with a second, newly hired staff member in tow, because this second woman wanted to see our bathroom!

Our room, No. 103 on the ground floor, opens onto the garden courtyard, and was tastefully furnished in a spare, modern way. It is, however, dark. The bathroom was beautiful and functional, and the bed was excellent. There's a DVD player in the room, but no DVDs were provided by the hotel.

Both mornings, breakfast was very good. The egg dishes—omelettes, Eggs Florentine, and frittata—are very tasty. Our enjoyment of breakfast was impaired by the slow and inefficient table service. We were kept waiting a long time for basic items such as milk for the coffee and juice, and on two occasions had to remind the waiter to bring them. This morning's breakfast lasted an hour—most of it spent in waiting. We couldn't help wondering why the portions of fresh fruit that began the meal were so small in mid-summer, when fruit is abundant, and why such niggardly dollops of jam were provided. The strawberry butter, which we were told twice was homemade, was delicious, but the portion we received was no larger than the toothpaste you squeeze on your brush.

The inn is ideally situated midway between downtown and the beach, but of course I was immobilized by my injury and couldn't enjoy the walking opportunities in the vicinity.

During our stay (Friday afternoon to Sunday morning), we never once saw the owners or anyone in a managerial position. Although the Pacific Blue Inn provides both bed and breakfast, I wouldn't call it a B&B—it lacks the personal touch one encounters at most B&Bs, while failing short on the professional attention one would expects from a hotel staff. Considering the room rates it charges, the Pacific Blue Inn would do well to work harder on its service.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2010

My wife and I stopped in at the Pacific Blue Inn for one night as we traveled up the Pacific Coast Highway, and wished we could have spent every night of our trip there. The inn is located within walking distance of the downtown strip of restaurants and the beach. The rooms are modern, clean, and feature art of local artists. The cafe tables outside each room overlooking the courtyard are also a nice touch. The inn also has free bike rentals for guests. To top it off, the breakfast was 5 star. We live in Chicago, and eat out at a lot of expensive brunch spots, and this exceeded most I've been to. Truly outstanding.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple