“Nice new hotel in Santa Cruz” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz

Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
napa, ca
“Nice new hotel in Santa Cruz”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

I usually stay in Holiday Inn Express whenever I travel and it was nice to see a new hotel in Santa Cruz. Eveything was nice and clean, and the staff was excellent. The location has it's ups and downs because it appears that the city is still developing around that part of town. It's a short drive to the beach and broadwalk, but it's easy access to the highway if you want to go to Capitola. The free breakfast was good but the eggs were not. The pool was a little small but gym was very nice. Parking was free and so was the internet if you need it. I would stay here again because of the service and the how clean the hotel was.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
TaraPipp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

This hotel is super clean! and brand new, which is really hard to find in Santa Cruz! It is in a weird location, and alittle ways to the beach... but for the money its worth it! we stay in SC every year and this by far is the nicest hotel for the money! The breakfast was "OK" the eggs were like plastic, and it ends alittle early for our famiy (9:30am) but that definatly is a money saver! I really liked the Buissness center to check emails and stuff, and the staff was super friendly, but they were alittle under staffed. We would stay again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

Horrible view, unhelpful staff, no towels for 2 of 3 days (wet ones were delivered on the 3rd day), and power and cable problems capped off a 3 night vacation stay that we'd hoped to be perfect, but was less than average. We were told by staff that the walk was a short distance to the beach, and it was very far. Especially if you don't enjoy walking through a total barrio. We had a 3rd floor view of a junk house with a 50's vintage school bus parked in the back yard, and a weirdo that smoked all night behind a music store. There was also a mattress sprawled out for a junkyard dog in this side yard. The parking garage is only big enough for a smart car. The worst of it though was a power outage that occured on the third evening that lasted all night, and prevented us from watching any tv at all. The management claimed it was a transformer failure, but nothing else in the neighborhood was out. Then when the power finally came on, the cable tv was out for the remainder of the next day. I guess transformers blow out cable too? It more than likely was their own internal systems mal-functioning since they had a power system that requires you to keep your room key card plugged in to get power. After a 3rd horrible night, I asked for some kind of discount since we could do nothing in our room. They could care less even though we had spent a total of nearly $600. I would never recommmend this hotel. Alternatively, get the Surf & Sand on the beach.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wwoodall
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, July 14, 2009
Dear wwoodall,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Santa Cruz East in Santa Cruz, CA. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring to our attention your service concerns you had during your stay. I would love the opportunity to address your concerns directly with you.

It is the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Santa Cruz East’s goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

On June 29, 2009 PG & E did a power shutdown due to a tree that fell on a conductor. 2,865 residents in Santa Cruz County were affected. This caused the hotel to have no power for a total of 5 hours and also affected the transformer for the cable. As soon as power was restored, Comcast was on site at the hotel and fixed the problem by 9am.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose the Holiday Inn Express & Suite Santa Cruz East for your future travel needs.

If you have any questions or if there is anything else that I can help you with, please call me at 831.466.9100 or email: arivera@hiesantacruz.com.

San Jose,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

I was so impressed at this hotel from the minute I walked in. They allowed me to check in early, and the staff was friendly and helpful (hotel was very difficult to find however...their sign blends in with the building). Parking was free, which is always a bonus. The hotel room was immaculate and very welcoming. I felt relaxed from the moment I set foot in the door. It's a new hotel, so everything is very modern and clean feeling. I liked that they were "eco friendly" with the lights--you had to insert your room key by the door for the lights to come on....like a "place holder" for your key. The beds were very comfortable, as was the temperature in the room. The breakfast in the morning was delicious! Fruits, muffins, freshly baked cinnamon rolls, yogurt, etc. The staff didn't ask me if I enjoyed my stay, which seemed strange to me, but I didn't care all that much. I will most definitely be back to this hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, July 13, 2009
Thank you for your review of your stay with the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Santa Cruz, CA. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

We are always very happy when a guest contacts us about the wonderful service they have received. As soon as I received your comments, I immediately forwarded them to the staff and ownership of the hotel. To ensure that the staff knows what a great job they have done and also recognized their efforts.

Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in one of our hotels again soon.

Best Regards,

Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

Brand new hotel, very clean, stylish, and spacious. Comfortable beds, great bathrooms. Beautiful pool with big beach towels for all. Great breakfast. Free wireless. Two computers in the lobby (free usage and printing). Amazing prices. You could have told me it was a W Hotel and I would have paid double. I have high standards for travel and have never stayed in a holiday inn but I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Stockton, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

The hotel itself is great, and is brand new. It is fairly close the the boardwalk and beach- just a short drive. The pool is rather small, but it is heated, and if you are handicapped, it has a special lift for the pool. There is no jacuzzi, but there is a small fitness room which consists of 2 treadmills and 1 eliptical, and a small multi-station weight machine. The equipment is a quality brand, made by life fitness and there is a t.v. to watch while you workout. The staff is very helpful and courteous. The beds and pillows are extremely comfortable- this is the best part of all! It is also very quiet. The room we had was brand new and very clean. Nice walk-in shower, marble tile floors and marble vanity. The only thing I didn't like about the room was that it didn't have a little refrigerator for cold drinks and such. The parking garage is quite compact, so be prepared during the busy season, as the spaces are very tiny and seem to have been made for those British mini-coopers and not full sized autos. One feature that sounded nice at first was the complimentary hot breakfast. Be prepared to go to the Denny's across the street or something, because it was yucky. They had these weird egg omelet things that looked like they were made of plastic with fake egg substitute and that cruddy processed cheese in the middle. I tried one and it was gross. There were some standard stuff like cereal, toast, ect. which wasn't bad, but the egg things and the mystery sausage patties have got to go! The coffee sucked too, but thankfully there is a Starbucks nearby. Not to dwell on that however; it was a really nice hotel overall!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Buffgrl
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

The management and clerks were very friendly and accommodating. The hotel was just GORGEOUS. We were not expecting a Holiday Inn to be so nice. We loved the style and the way it was decorated and the rooms were beautiful... we felt like we were staying in a much more upscale hotel. The beds were extremely comfortable... I hadn't slept that well in a long time. I liked the location since it was right off our freeway exit and very easy to find, not far at all from the Santa Cruz boardwalk.
The breakfast was very good, except for the hot food... I'd recommend not being brave and trying the powdered scrambled eggs, gravy or sausage, it made some in my group sick...Stick to the pastries, cereal and yogurt, those were good.
This is definitely where we'll stay any time we visit Santa Cruz.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank happymom24
Dear happymom24,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express and Suites Santa Cruz, CA. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

We hope to see you again soon! Thank you.