“One of the Best in Santa Cruz”

Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Hotel appears brand new and is in remarkable condition. Room was clean and comfortable. As well the staff was attentive and friendly.

The free breakfast was great and offered many selections for hot and cold items.

Pool and gym room room are great, and even has a sauna and steam shower.

Only drawback is the location. There is not much with in walking distance unless your okay with a long walk. However it does have easy access to highways 1 and 17. As well the inconvenience of the location is worth knowing your staying in a hotel with some of the best comfort and amenities in Santa Cruz without spending hundreds of dollars a night. '

Looking forward to a return trip!

1  Thank Aaron S
M D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear AaronS,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am proud to see you comment on our like new appearance and of course how you stayed smart through our economic choices while receiving a high value. I will pass along your kind words to our team so they can know they are on track with continuing to provide superior guest stories.

Come back soon, we look forward to seeing you again.

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz

Reviewed January 31, 2014

This was a single night road stop for us. We travelled cross country, and wanted an affordable room with a refrigerator, a good breakfast and no suprises. Our check-in was fast and friendly. The room was huge with a "kitchen area" that had a microwave, refrigerator, and wet bar sink, a full sized sofa and chair with coffee table, and a king sized bed. Everything was very clean and looked brand new. The bed was very comfy, the shower was roomy, with great water pressure and lots of hot water. The wifi connection was easy to use, and there were extra plugs at the desk and on both bed tables for recharging. Breakfast was exactly as expected with a full selection of hot and cold cereals, regular and no-fat milk and yogurt, pancakes, hot biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, juices and toast/bagels/pastries. The lobby/eating area had plenty of seating.

2  Thank b1sally
M D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear b1Sally,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I hope that you come back again soon for more than just a stopover and visit with us so that you can stay relaxed, stay smart with your choice, and always stay impressed with our service. Thanks for the comment on the like new appearances, I will share with our team. Look forward to seeing you again in Santa Cruz soon!

Yours,

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We live in southern California and decided to take an unplanned road trip to Monterey and Santa Cruz. I booked this hotel through Hotwire because the price was excellent and it had high reviews. The location of the hotel isn't really walking distance to much, but it's a 5 minute drive to both the boardwalk and downtown.

The hotel seemed brand new or at least recently remodeled, as our room was very clean and modern.

WiFi, parking and breakfast were free.

I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool. I imagine the other side faces the entrance to Highway 1.
2  Thank Cinemaniac1
M D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Cinemaniac1,

Thank you so much for staying with us. Our hotel is 4 years old and we take great pride in keeping a "like brand new" appearance in our hotel. We believe our guests deserve the very best when staying with us and we make that a priority. I hope when you feel the urge to road trip to the Monterey Bay again you consider us again to even exceed your last visit.

Your truly,

Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife & I checked in and had a little problem with the room, we went back down and talked to Katrina and Halina, their attitude showed me the type of place we had chosen. I always say that character of an organization starts from the top and permeates down, if I'm right, then this tells me that the owner/management of this hotel is very customer service orientated.
The concern in our satisfaction was very evident in their attitudes. Any business will have challenges or mistakes but it is the way they step into action at that point that defines them (I realize this is starting to sound like a business lecture).
The hotel was what I am coming to expect from H.I.Express, fresh, clean, comfortable, with unexpected little touches. Breakfast was good, location was more conveniently located than I had thought.
Only negatives for us were the mattress, which wasn't the most comfortable, probably due to the plastic-type mattress pad (not terrible) and the really loud elevator bell (it was a good stay, I'm nitpicking here).
Anyway, Katrina & Halina stood out as stars and if the hotel is staffed with similar personalities then they will continue to do well.

Room Tip: Room tip, ask Katrina or Halina for a decent room, they didn't just let the computer do the work...

InnStoneDotCom,

I am truly pleased to see your had such an inspirational experience with us. I will certainly pass on the kind words because I know our team works very hard for our guests. We believe that people drive our hotel and it's success and we only include folks who are hard wired for guest service and relations to be part of our team. We know that things can go wrong but it is what you do about it that really makes the difference .

You can count on us every time you are with us to be looking to exceed your last visit. Come home soon, we look forward to seeing you again.

Yours,

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I just spent a night here with my family and was impressed by the condition of the hotel. It seems like it's brand new.

The Good:
- Hotel is immaculate, from the lobby to the rooms. The interior feels like a high end hotel.
- Service is amazing. The front desk staff is super friendly and super helpful.
- Bed is reasonably comfortable and you get lots of pillows.
- The complimentary breakfast is one of the best I've ever had in a hotel. The variety is good and the food is fresh.
- The tub and showers are really nice. My 4-year-old loved her bath (something I don't normally do in a hotel as hotel bathrooms can be icky).
- We didn't use the pool, but it looks really nice.

Needs Improvement:
- The wi fi is very slow and hard to stay connected to. I realize it's 'free', but it is basically unusable.
- There are no on-demand movies. No in-room movie night for us.

While the hotel isn't in the middle of the tourist area, it's close to everything and fairly easy to find. I would definitely stay again.

Pro tip: Ask for a room away from the road for a quiet night.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the back

Devo1975,

I am so happy to see that you had an amazing stay with us. I really appreciate the time our guests take to share not only the amazing features we have like our hot daily breakfast, and like new and upscale appearance, but the things that can be improved upon to reach new heights in guest experiences. For that I thank you and I am so happy that when it comes time to visit Santa Cruz we know that you will be staying with us again.

Creating great hotels guests love,

Reviewed January 14, 2014

stayed here just one night. Staff were awesome, very friendly and accommodating. We stayed on second floor, street side. Traffic noise was a little loud at times, but fan in room helped dim it some, able to fall asleep just fine. No hallway noise or noise from other rooms at all. Room was clean, comfortable, bathroom as well. Great breakfast. Underground parking. Easy freeway access.

Room Tip: stay away from street side if possible, or leave AC fan on

Dear tdrynelle,

Love hearing how our guests keep loving our hot complimentary breakfast. The options are many and the service is always friendly and we take great pride in being able to say that. Thank you for taking the time to review us and I hope that when visiting Santa Cruz again you stay impressed with our service and friendly staff as you preferred hotel of choice.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed here for one night as we were making our way down the California coastline. We found this place to be nice. It was clean. The parking was free, convenient, and easy. The staff were kind and helpful. The beds were comfortable. It was quiet during our stay and we got a great night's sleep. The morning breakfast was pretty good. Good location. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank CheddaP

Dear CheddaP,

We want all of our guests to stay impressed and feel smart about their choice to stay with our hotel. So it excites me to see that we continue to be on track for our guests. Santa Cruz is a great point to stop when traveling the Coast highway and I am glad to see on your next road trip you will be staying with us again! Come back home to us in Santa Cruz soon!

Warm regards,