“Very pleased”

Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Pasadena, California
“Very pleased”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We live in southern California and decided to take an unplanned road trip to Monterey and Santa Cruz. I booked this hotel through Hotwire because the price was excellent and it had high reviews. The location of the hotel isn't really walking distance to much, but it's a 5 minute drive to both the boardwalk and downtown.

The hotel seemed brand new or at least recently remodeled, as our room was very clean and modern.

WiFi, parking and breakfast were free.

I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool. I imagine the other side faces the entrance to Highway 1.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Cinemaniac1
M D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Cinemaniac1,

Thank you so much for staying with us. Our hotel is 4 years old and we take great pride in keeping a "like brand new" appearance in our hotel. We believe our guests deserve the very best when staying with us and we make that a priority. I hope when you feel the urge to road trip to the Monterey Bay again you consider us again to even exceed your last visit.

Your truly,
Michael Meredith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Colfax, CA.
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife & I checked in and had a little problem with the room, we went back down and talked to Katrina and Halina, their attitude showed me the type of place we had chosen. I always say that character of an organization starts from the top and permeates down, if I'm right, then this tells me that the owner/management of this hotel is very customer service orientated.
The concern in our satisfaction was very evident in their attitudes. Any business will have challenges or mistakes but it is the way they step into action at that point that defines them (I realize this is starting to sound like a business lecture).
The hotel was what I am coming to expect from H.I.Express, fresh, clean, comfortable, with unexpected little touches. Breakfast was good, location was more conveniently located than I had thought.
Only negatives for us were the mattress, which wasn't the most comfortable, probably due to the plastic-type mattress pad (not terrible) and the really loud elevator bell (it was a good stay, I'm nitpicking here).
Anyway, Katrina & Halina stood out as stars and if the hotel is staffed with similar personalities then they will continue to do well.

Room Tip: Room tip, ask Katrina or Halina for a decent room, they didn't just let the computer do the work...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
InnStoneDotCom,

I am truly pleased to see your had such an inspirational experience with us. I will certainly pass on the kind words because I know our team works very hard for our guests. We believe that people drive our hotel and it's success and we only include folks who are hard wired for guest service and relations to be part of our team. We know that things can go wrong but it is what you do about it that really makes the difference .

You can count on us every time you are with us to be looking to exceed your last visit. Come home soon, we look forward to seeing you again.

Novato, California
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I just spent a night here with my family and was impressed by the condition of the hotel. It seems like it's brand new.

The Good:
- Hotel is immaculate, from the lobby to the rooms. The interior feels like a high end hotel.
- Service is amazing. The front desk staff is super friendly and super helpful.
- Bed is reasonably comfortable and you get lots of pillows.
- The complimentary breakfast is one of the best I've ever had in a hotel. The variety is good and the food is fresh.
- The tub and showers are really nice. My 4-year-old loved her bath (something I don't normally do in a hotel as hotel bathrooms can be icky).
- We didn't use the pool, but it looks really nice.

Needs Improvement:
- The wi fi is very slow and hard to stay connected to. I realize it's 'free', but it is basically unusable.
- There are no on-demand movies. No in-room movie night for us.

While the hotel isn't in the middle of the tourist area, it's close to everything and fairly easy to find. I would definitely stay again.

Pro tip: Ask for a room away from the road for a quiet night.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the back
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
M D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Devo1975,

I am so happy to see that you had an amazing stay with us. I really appreciate the time our guests take to share not only the amazing features we have like our hot daily breakfast, and like new and upscale appearance, but the things that can be improved upon to reach new heights in guest experiences. For that I thank you and I am so happy that when it comes time to visit Santa Cruz we know that you will be staying with us again.

Creating great hotels guests love,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 14, 2014

stayed here just one night. Staff were awesome, very friendly and accommodating. We stayed on second floor, street side. Traffic noise was a little loud at times, but fan in room helped dim it some, able to fall asleep just fine. No hallway noise or noise from other rooms at all. Room was clean, comfortable, bathroom as well. Great breakfast. Underground parking. Easy freeway access.

Room Tip: stay away from street side if possible, or leave AC fan on
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear tdrynelle,

Love hearing how our guests keep loving our hot complimentary breakfast. The options are many and the service is always friendly and we take great pride in being able to say that. Thank you for taking the time to review us and I hope that when visiting Santa Cruz again you stay impressed with our service and friendly staff as you preferred hotel of choice.

Northern Michigan
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed here for one night as we were making our way down the California coastline. We found this place to be nice. It was clean. The parking was free, convenient, and easy. The staff were kind and helpful. The beds were comfortable. It was quiet during our stay and we got a great night's sleep. The morning breakfast was pretty good. Good location. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CheddaP
Dear CheddaP,

We want all of our guests to stay impressed and feel smart about their choice to stay with our hotel. So it excites me to see that we continue to be on track for our guests. Santa Cruz is a great point to stop when traveling the Coast highway and I am glad to see on your next road trip you will be staying with us again! Come back home to us in Santa Cruz soon!

Warm regards,
Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed January 12, 2014

we have family in Santa Cruz and usually stay at the Hilton in Scotts Valley. We decided to stay here to save a bit of money and the longer drive at night. We were very pleased. The staff was so nice...at check-in they noticed my husband uses a cane, so they upgraded us to a handicapped room. Very good amenities. Quiet hotel, very good location. we didn't try the breakfast - not much for a gluten-free vegetarian! but very lovely stay and nice staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank kboc
Dear kboc,

We loved having you with us, and we can only hope that you come and visit us again soon. We always want to make sure that our guests needs are met and we train our staff to see opportunities to share new ways to enjoy their stay. I will share with our team so that we can continue our inspirational ways and find new ones to help always keep you smiling.

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed for two nights in a single bed room, king sized bed. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was very clean. Stayed on the first floor close to the breakfast area. Noise in the hallway could be heard in the room, but was able to fall asleep easily and stayed asleep. The outside of the hotel is well kept, with a parking garage. Parking spaces were small, but had no problem finding a parking spot. It is a short drive to the downtown area and the boardwalk. Area surrounding hotel seems pretty safe with a gas station right across the street. Overall the stay was great, and the price was decent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Erin S
Dear ErinS,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and share about your impressive experience. I was glad to see that you enjoyed how our hotel was centrally located to all things Santa Cruz and that you were happy to enjoy the amenities at the hotel. We love our town and we love that when you step out of our lobby its a mere 5 minutes drive to any major destination in town.

Come back again soon, we loved having you and cant wait to see you again!