“Clean & spacious”

Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night and thought the room was good- clean, spacious and quiet. The hotel is located on a main road just off the freeway so it's far from being a nice area! We didn't want to go out at night time, it didn't seem safe. The town centre was probably 15 mins walk away.

• Stayed: October 2012
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear milica0207,

I am very happy that you had such a great stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Santa Cruz, CA! Our entire team takes great pride in what they do. Thank you for noticing and for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I travel alot and stay at a lot of hotels, mostly in California. I love staying at this hotel. They always recognize me, call me by name and make sure that my stay is very pleasant. But, more than that, the hotel is very clean, smells good(many dont smell clean), and is always well maintained, and is very quiet. They have a no party policy that you have to sign that I really like. I have stayed there more than 20 nights in the past year and would recommend it 100%. The staff is very friendly. I usually deal with Andrew Pederson and he is incredible. He always remembers what room I like to stay in does his best to accommodate my requests. I also like that and even when it busy he always responds to all customers with friendliness and respect. I rarely write reviews but they deserve it. Best is town and you wont be disappointed. Jim

Room Tip: Choose inside rooms upper floors. All are clean and fairly new.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HIE_Santa_Cruz, Operations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear JamesM,

Wow thank you so much for such an amazing review. We were extremly glad to have you as a guest and we are so happy to see you enjoyed your time in Santa Cruz so much. Thank you for the kind words about our Guest Service Agent Andrew. He is a great part of our team and I know that he enjoys like the rest of in making our guest experience one to remember. We hope that you visit us again soon as we would love to give you another truly red carpet experience when in our coastal town. Please let us know the next time your in town so we can welcome you in style.

Operations Manager

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had a great experience at this hotel, the employees were fabulous and very friendly. Andrew P. and Joe R were very helpful and directed us to several great sights and we ate great food at the restaurants that they reccommended to us.

I spilled gravy all over the foyer taking breakfast up to my room (please don't spill gravy in the foyer) and Joe was as sweet as he could be and assured me that it was OK . Incidentally I saw trays the very next day that I should have employed in that endeavor.

The room was really lovely and when we returned from our outing each day housekeeping did a fantastic job cleaning up after our mayhem. I loved staying here and I want to go back very soon! Thanks guys for your contribution to our fabulous vacation.

Muah!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Sunny S,

Thank you for your candid review about your time at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Santa Cruz CA and for staying with us! We are delighted that you loved staying with us! Thank you for mentioning the great work Andrew, Joe and the Room Care Team did! We all look forward to having you as our guest again real soon!

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night while participating in the mermaid triathlon. It was a very clean and new hotel. I am not sure when it was built but it looks very very new. The decor is wonderful. The rooms are spacious. I had 3 adults in my room and we all fit fine. They were a little annoyed that we asked for late checkout for 1 pm. We wanted to come back after the triathlon and shower before heading home. They have free breakfast ( cereals, yogurt,etc).

I would recommend staying here if you are in the area for an event.

• Stayed: October 2012
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear YRamos82,

Thank you for choosing our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Santa Cruz! We appreciate your review and recommendation! Our team continuously strives to maintain the property as the day we open April 28, 2009 and we are very happy you have noticed!

Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to having you as our guest again real soon!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We checked in to this hotel and from the moment we connected to the desk clerk, Andrew until we departed we felt like a part of the energy of the hotel. The staff was friendly and always greeted us with conversation. The connection was more than hi, it was actually getting to know us feeling. We will definitely stay many more times when we are in Santa Cruz. The atmosphere was exactly what we needed.
BJK

Room Tip: I love the higher rooms because they tend to be quieter so I joined Priority Club so I can know that...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear uniquebj,

Greetings from Santa Cruz!

Thank you for your gracious review about our “amazing” hotel and team. I have shared the review with Andrew and the team and we are all very proud!

We look forward to having you as our guest real soon!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This hotel exceeded all my expectations for it's price range - excellent, quiet & large rooms, helpful staff and a breakfast buffet that would satisfy most people.
I was expecting to have to go out for breakfast as many American hotels do not cater for an Australian's habits. This buffet had something of a reasonable quality for everyone.

If I can get back to play golf there again I will certainly stay here

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
HIE_Santa_Cruz, Michael Meredith, Operations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Happywander63,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We love how many of our guests leave truly inspired with their time at our hotel and in our beautiful city of Santa Cruz. We take great pride in being able to make any guest feel comfortable being themselves when here even if all the way from Australia. We hope that you do return soon to visit us and please do let me know when you plan to next I we would be excited to share some truly locally known tips on some of the best golf in the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay area. Again thank you for feedback and we cannot wait to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Here's the hotel situation in Santa Cruz - most / all of the chain hotels are clustered near the highway exit about a mile or so from downtown and the boardwalk. The hotels closer to the boardwalk look shabbier, more run-down and were probably the only accomodations in town at one time.

So take your pick - modern, pricier, and further from the beach, or older, closer, but probably a bargain. Remember - Santa Cruz is a bit of a party town, with UC Santa Cruz right there, so choose what works for you.

Anyways, we are here to review the Holiday Inn Express. I had a nice stay at this modern hotel. The staff was very friendly upon check-in, and bottled water if you're part of the guest rewards program. Beds were comfortable, rooms / hallways looked like they had been recently updated. You got a distinct smell of carpet glue in the hallways, which I'm assuming means the updates were recent.

Breakfast is above average for a free hotel breakfast. Free parking located below the hotel in a garage that looks like it could get a little tight at full occupancy. Short drive to the boardwalk, and it looks like there's also a public transit option from the main road running past the hotel, if you'd prefer to leave the car there.

By the way - they do make you sign a "no partying" document upon check-in, which should help you avoid loud neighbors.

Happy with the price paid and quality of the property. Santa Cruz is a beautiful town, perfect for a weekend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LakeShoreLimited

Dear Lakeshorelimited,

I appreciate you reviewing our hotel and am excited to hear you were so pleased with our modern, open, and comfortable hotel. The hotel is only 3 years old and we make it a priority to keep the appearance like NEW at all times. I do apologize for any new carpet smells you might have encountered which was likely from our room care staff. I will certainly share this with our team to help improve guest experience with our common areas. Thank you for additionally mentioning our newest program the "No Party Policy" that we have recently implemented and found to be a huge success for all of our guests to be able to enjoy their visit. We encourage fun for all of our guests with respect and consideration for everybody to enjoy and be themselves. Let us know when you are back in town so we can again setup one of our very best rooms for your stay.