All reviewsvalet parking ismandatory valetlobby areafree breakfast was greataround midnightmodern hotelthe usual amenitieschecked in quicklygreat hotelfamily eventfamily stayed herevalet guyshelpful with directionsbreakfast buffetwould stay here againroom was spotlesscomfortable beds
Reviewed September 23, 2017

Brand new and clean. All in all, the place is a savings -and a blessing- from the exorbitant prices elsewhere in Santa Cruz that, in my opinion, are total dumps. It's a hotel not a resort so no extras like a spa but it does have a pool, and a gym. They also serve breakfast for free. I never made it to that so can't comment on the quality.

I thought it really nice that if you come in and are hungry you can grab something right then and there. Beside the reception desk is a handy refrigerated bin offering (for a price) food items and drinks:sandwiches, wraps, veggies, fruit, etc. There is also a small bar if you need to take the edge of travel off. Also, regarding quick food or drinks, there is a mini mart across the street and just a half block up. Whole foods is about five minutes away and of course Santa Cruz has a ton of restaurants and bars in town which is only a few blocks from the hotel.

Parking is valet and fifteen a night with come and go access at no extra charge.

The location is not on the water but not too far either. Only a few blocks away but you'll have to find parking and pay for that if you do go to the beach. Though distant, I could see the water from my room.

There are a few kinks as they are just getting going there but I've no doubt they will straighten the minor annoyances out. Kimberlee the front desk manager is quite gracious and very willing to hear any issues and get them resolved as quickly as possible. She is a sweetheart. Kindness must run in her family: I had a chance to meet her mother on my way out. She provided me with savvy directions to San Francisco that saved me from being stuck in traffic.

Anyway regarding the negatives. One of the "issues" was that there seems to be some trouble with the plumbing. Don't worry, nothing disastrous and shouldn't keep you from staying. It's just that sometimes I'd hear the pipes running for no reason. Also, the drain in my shower had this annoying loud dripping going on for about a half hour after each time I showered. Easily fixed and probably taken care of by now.

The walls are on the thin side: I could hear my neighbors opening their curtains or using the bathroom. But again, it was clean, comfortable and a decent stay. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with friends
JulieBaylorGM, General Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2017

Dear Dreamlight1:
Your review is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time provide such thorough feedback. I would also like to thank you for mentioning Kimberlee, who is indeed wonderful. We are very fortunate to have such a dedicated and caring team. We hope we can welcome you back soon!
Best regards,

Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

I usually stay as a Hilton Honors in any of the variety of Hiltons, but I was a real sluggard in booking a hotel, so the night before started looking, big mistake, nothing available, Hilton lady, so sad to bad, well thank you very much. My fault, dialed up Amex travel and asked the man that answered to work a miracle, to keep me somewhere in Santa Cruz other than sleeping in my car. Miracles don't come cheap, he came up with the Hyatt Place but it was about $100 bucks more, than anything I had been looking at on the hiltons, but had what I needed, two Queens and a pull out. About $300 a night, plus taxes. But included breakfast, ok, ok, I will take it.
Was making the 9 hour drive from Las Vegas, NV to Santa Cruz in one day. I can't tell you how happy I was to arrive at the Hyatt Place in Santa Cruz, it was like an oasis. Pulled up Valet parking, please take the keys away from me, beautiful fresh hotel lobby, cogent lobby agent, a little bar, and service drink counter, quick check in, just a beautiful wide room, really, nice layout, beds were incredible comfort.
The next day very good breakfast selection, fresh made everything, great coffee, fresh fruit, just a fine laid table selection, not some tiresome "continental breakfast." I am a certified public accountant I am paid to make note and have attention to detail.
It was me and my son and a friend of his who was also moving into the dorms, the room really was spacious enough for all three, the pull out was a saving grace and he said it was comfortable. Clean lines, clean room details.
When the wife and I come back to visit will absolutely stay here regardless of price differential, it really was worth it. The wife and I will get the king bed. They have a great pool area, you want to pamper yourself, be in the center of Santa Cruz, this place is a Banana Slug Palace.
KC9USC.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
JulieBaylorGM, General Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2017

Dear KC9USC:
Your review is what we live for. Thanks for taking the time to tell your story. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and will be back. Again, THANK YOU, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Best,

Reviewed September 20, 2017

This was not the normal cookie cutter Hyatt place. It had wonderful creative design in the lobby area including surfboards on the wall. The location was on a busy street about five or 10 minutes driving time from the Santa Cruz pier and beach.
There is a Mexican restaurant a block away that serves very nice tacos and burritos.
Try to get a room on the fourth floor so that you'll have a little bit of a view.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
JulieBaylorGM, General Manager at Hyatt Place Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2017

Dear Peter T:
We sincerely appreciate your review - thank you! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, and will save a 4th floor room for you.

Reviewed September 20, 2017

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo

Reviewed September 18, 2017

Hotel is brand new, and staff was friendly, but the hotel seemed short staffed but could be because they hotel is still very new (less than a month old). Rooms are beautiful, very modern, and well stocked. Hotel is located in a residential neighborhood, but is close to the beach and local attractions.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple