“Best Value in Santa Cruz” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sea and Sand Inn

Sea and Sand Inn
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
“Best Value in Santa Cruz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife & I have been coming to Santa Cruz for many years, always thinking the Dream Inn was the bomb. Well, to our pleasant surprise, the bomb is next door...the Sea & Sand Inn is the awesome (and half the price of the Dream Inn). The rooms are clean and spacious, each has a spectacular view of the ocean, and the staff is wonderful. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Santa Cruz, in fact, we're coming back for our anniversary in June!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dave H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
NYS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Guess I'm a trusting soul, but the suite we rented for a night was exquisitely remodeled. Spacious, clean and a short walk to the Wharf (boardwalk in New Jersey). Since weather was not 'Sunny CA, wish I could have spent more time at the patio on the beach side.

1 Thank Mirquat
Woodside, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I have stayed here single, as a romantic couple, and with my 3 kids as a family. Each time it suits me perfectly. Check in is easy and parking is great. It is a small boutique hotel on the cliff overlooking the ocean and boardwalk on west cliff drive. Easy to get everywhere..walk to several beaches, natural bridges, biking, lighthouse, boardwalk, downtown, everything! We love taking our breakfast and going down to the eating area down a path directly on the ciiff over the ocean. Cons is that one side of our hotel room is directly next to parking, literally i could open curtain and be directly looking into my car and that is next to busy street so it can be a bit noisy. Also the soundproofing is poor. I have stayed here in the past where i could here the people next to me having very loud "relations" and this time the people above us sounded like they were having a dance party-but luckily shut it down at 10 as we were getting ready to go to bed and it was quiet. Service is polite and friendly. Continental breakfast is very good with lots of choices including great santa cruz roasting company coffee.
This place is a huge win each time I stay here. They dont have direct beach access like the dream inn next store where they have towels and a pool, but you get a much cozier, friendly, boutique hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Veda P
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My wife and I loved this place! When planning our San Francisco trip, my wife and I discovered the Elephant Seal walks at Ano Nuevo State Park, and decided to stay our first night in Santa Cruz so as to be close to that (it ended up being an easy and scenic 30 minute drive... perfect)! TripAdvisor had this place rated really high, and we've rarely been steered wrong by TA before, so we decided to book it.

We were really impressed! We stayed in one of their Executive King Suites. Besides the phenomenal views of the ocean (I've never seen so many surfers in my life!), wharf, and boardwalk, the room had a super comfortable bed, and an awesome 2 person Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. Our only recommendation on the Jacuzzi tub was that the hot water ran out kind of fast, so next time I would probably run it a little bit hotter at first and see if that helped... but that's a small thing.

Some reviews have commented about road noise. We could hear the road if some hot-rod occasionally drove by and revved his engine real loud, but other then that, nothing. It didn't bother us at all, and we both had a great night sleep (which is a lot to say for me, being a really light sleeper). The continental breakfast was pretty standard... hard-boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, and a few pastries. But for the $159 we paid, this hotel was a great value. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay, and would highly recommend this place. We will be back whenever we are in the Santa Cruz Area again.

2 Thank Mike L
ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Husband and I stayed at the Sea and Sand Inn for our anniversary in early Dec. We booked the cottage studio room. I had thoroughly researched the place and read reviews before taking the leap. I thought I was prepared. OMG! We walked in, and my eye went right toward the HUGE private patio!! It was even better than I was expecting. You have your own private 4 person hot tub (hot, too!), and a patio set, and two lounge chairs, with a view to die for. I then realized I hadn't even looked at the room yet. It was very comfortable, not fancy, but clean and well apportioned. The absolutely only negative is the hotel and this room is on a main road/walkway, and you will hear a lot of people talking as they walk by, because the sidewalk is right outside the bedroom window, and the front door seriously needs weatherstripping to prevent noise and draft, but fortunately the roar from the sea drowned a lot of noise out, yes, you are that close, and the sea lions barking was wonderful. As I sat in the jacuzzi, I could watch sea lions swim and play, watch the paddle boarders, beautiful pelicans, you name it. Continental breakfast was very nice, and staff our wonderful. We went whale watching and saw killer whales!! Great trip, and we plan on going back many more times. Lots of great restaurants on Pacific street! Enjoy!! We did.

1 Thank waverunner68
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night in this hotel in early November.

The hotel is really a nice motel situated between a busy two lane road and the ocean. There is a strip of garden/lawn area between the rooms and the ocean, the width of this green area is between maybe 10 feet to 30 feet. There is a platform with lawn furniture that is wider and situated lower down over the ocean as in the photos.

The view is very nice, overlooking the boardwalk/pier and the beach. But you always hear traffic noise when you are in your room, so despite the view, it is not that restful.

We had a room on the ground level which had a heater with a smell as if it was not exhausting properly, so we mentioned to the front desk the next morning. Despite the fact that they were quite full and busy, the lady at the desk moved us to a better room upstairs with a newer hater and had someone work on the other problematic heater that day.

There is a pretty good breakfast in the morning, the best part being fresh baked muffins. There is also wine and cheese in the late afternoon with a plentiful supply to the end of the hour. There is also coffee and tea all day with some of the muffins from breakfast.These are nice touches.

There is also free internet in the room and free computer in the lobby with free printing.

Overall our room was fine, a bit conservative in decor but very clean. A spotless but pleasant motel room is how I would describe it. Maybe the suites are much nicer since we only took the basic room. The view was nice but the noise would not go away. We paid around $ 130 for the low season rate so it was fine.

The Dreams next door has the same view and but is much more expensive, although it should not have the noise issues as it is a much bigger building with mostly a concrete wall between the hotel and the road.

If I come to this area again in the future, I will stay a bit further south as it is the same coastline but without the tacky amusement park on the beach by the boardwalk. I could probably pay less as the high season price in Santa Cruz is too much for what one gets.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is better, ask for room with a new heater that works.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GBay
Guildford UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Really enjoyed our stay at the Sea & Sand, reception staff in fact all staff were really helpful and cheerful. The location was perfect, views were fantastic and waking to the sound of the sea and sea lions couldn't be bettered. Another nice feature was the garden and chairs at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: The upper deck of rooms ha the better views
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple