“Were really surprised ..it's a 3+ star hotel masquerading as a 2 star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Pacific Lodge

Ocean Pacific Lodge
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
New York City area
“Were really surprised ..it's a 3+ star hotel masquerading as a 2 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We arrived in Santa Cruz April 25th and drove through, looking at online comments and such and landed at this place. The price was right, and were not expecting much from the room..but were totally surprised that it was bright, modern, clean, comfy beds, looked like recently remodeled..dual shower heads, keurig coffee in the room, better than usual bath products. Had to be the best place we stayed all week. We only had one night, but were really really pleased with it. The jacuzzis were working and hot..the pool was refreshing as well.

Nothing bad to say at all about this place! Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mak136

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Park City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

When checking in the hotel staff were extremely friendly, quick, and accommodating. The room was remodeled, very nice and fit what we were looking for - they even accommodate pets! After enjoying night one (great location) I checked availability for night two and the gentleman on the phone told me "no problem" and they were going to charge the credit card on file and we could stay in the same room. Great! We headed to the beach for the day and on return our key did not work. Hands full, my boyfriend ran to the front desk to get a new key. After waiting about 20 minutes he returned with all of our luggage and belongings on a cart. Apparently they were not aware we had extended our stay with the front desk agent that morning. Luckily they were able to accommodate, however it was frustrating trying to find all of our belongings that had been mixed, repacked, and all our toiletries thrown out. Not a deal breaker, but seems communication on their end could use some work.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were delighted with our one night in this hotel. It's within easy walking distance of the wharf and beach. Considering the price we paid we were surprised by the amenities in the room like dual shower heads, Keurig coffee machine and large wall-mounted flat screen TV. The staff was accomodating and the room immaculate. We weren't able to stay for breakfast, so unable to comment on that.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the bottom floor and there was some noise from the room above (weight lifting...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Half Moon Bay, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean Pacific for a quick getaway weekend. Loved the proximity to the boardwalk, very friendly & helpful staff. The room was large and clean. The grounds as a whole were well kept and easy to move around. I like the neighborhood better than many of the other hotels. Obviously the Dream Inn is an amazing hotel but it was out of our budget. This hotel was very affordable and a great choice whether passing through while traveling or vacationing with the family. Clean pool that looked super fun for kids...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at this location once before, and it was satisfactory.
Affordable and walking distance to the famous Santa Cruz beach area.
Location, location, location. 3rd floor Jacuzzi room.
Thought we might repeat.
Booked reservations two months in advance for this weekend. When I called to confirm everything last night, I was told by a young, seemingly clueless worker with attitude, that my reservations were cancelled. I never cancelled them. After some discussion, she said she would "re-instate" them. She sounded incompetent. So....
So I called back 24 hours later and got the owner and manager on the phone. I asked if my reservation was still intact. He replied it was cancelled. I recounted the previous night's discussion with his employee. He said he could not honor my original reservation. What a trip! Heated and nervous, abusive and completely non conciliatory, he became. He even "invited" me to drive the 90 minutes from San Francisco to his dive joint so he could refuse me service.
The property, I give two stars. Dive with good location.
The owner and staff, a negative 10 stars now. The first time all went fine. This time, both the owner, on 4/11/13, and the clueless desk person on 4/10/13, were insulting and clearly, they, or their computer cancelled the reservation because I booked it months in advance at a lower rate than they can get from others booking recently.
No emails were ever sent to me about the booking, or cancellation, though I provided my email address.
I would not book at this location now, as I think they are in "trouble", as indicated by what I just shared. They just need money now? Bad attitudes by both owner and staff, incompetence and I suggest, maybe a little corruption too?

Sincerely.....

Room Tip: Get it all in writing before hand.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank 894PaulB894
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We were able to get a weekend room last minute here. The price was no higher than other hotels in the area. Paid $310 for Saturday and Sunday. the location couldn't be beat. Downtown is a ten minute walk away. The beach, boardwalk, and wharf is a four minute walk down the way. We went for the Santa Cruz half marathon, which luckily the start was at the beach. The room was clean, no stains on the carpet or bedding. bed was soft and the coffee machine worked. We had a fridge and microwave. they have two jacuzzis which are outdoor, and a medium sized pool. Pool water was warmed. The housekeepers are very sweet. My husband was able to flash his pearly off whites and get us the soft fluffy towels which make a huge difference in drying time with all the humidity. There's an amazing taqueria right down the street I highly recommend. Hotel is pet friendly for a fee. It is by a busy street, but when relaxing in the jacuzzi, I couldn't even hear it.

• Stayed April 2013
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here whilst on a road trip from San Fran to San Diego. i was looking for great value, good location and good previous reviews. A friendly welcome in a smart reception area by polite staff. Nice big room with crisp white bed linen. Nice to have a duvet rather than sheets and blankets like most of the other motels we stayed in. Tv, decent shower, coffee machine all fine. Breakfast good and there is even a breakfast room to eat it in. Probably the best motel breakfast we had. Great location, just a short walk to the beach, pier and boardwalk. All in all very good value and a nice overnight stop. Great job!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple