“Great choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Half Moon Bay, California
“Great choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean Pacific for a quick getaway weekend. Loved the proximity to the boardwalk, very friendly & helpful staff. The room was large and clean. The grounds as a whole were well kept and easy to move around. I like the neighborhood better than many of the other hotels. Obviously the Dream Inn is an amazing hotel but it was out of our budget. This hotel was very affordable and a great choice whether passing through while traveling or vacationing with the family. Clean pool that looked super fun for kids...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at this location once before, and it was satisfactory.
Affordable and walking distance to the famous Santa Cruz beach area.
Location, location, location. 3rd floor Jacuzzi room.
Thought we might repeat.
Booked reservations two months in advance for this weekend. When I called to confirm everything last night, I was told by a young, seemingly clueless worker with attitude, that my reservations were cancelled. I never cancelled them. After some discussion, she said she would "re-instate" them. She sounded incompetent. So....
So I called back 24 hours later and got the owner and manager on the phone. I asked if my reservation was still intact. He replied it was cancelled. I recounted the previous night's discussion with his employee. He said he could not honor my original reservation. What a trip! Heated and nervous, abusive and completely non conciliatory, he became. He even "invited" me to drive the 90 minutes from San Francisco to his dive joint so he could refuse me service.
The property, I give two stars. Dive with good location.
The owner and staff, a negative 10 stars now. The first time all went fine. This time, both the owner, on 4/11/13, and the clueless desk person on 4/10/13, were insulting and clearly, they, or their computer cancelled the reservation because I booked it months in advance at a lower rate than they can get from others booking recently.
No emails were ever sent to me about the booking, or cancellation, though I provided my email address.
I would not book at this location now, as I think they are in "trouble", as indicated by what I just shared. They just need money now? Bad attitudes by both owner and staff, incompetence and I suggest, maybe a little corruption too?

Sincerely.....

Room Tip: Get it all in writing before hand.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 894PaulB894

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We were able to get a weekend room last minute here. The price was no higher than other hotels in the area. Paid $310 for Saturday and Sunday. the location couldn't be beat. Downtown is a ten minute walk away. The beach, boardwalk, and wharf is a four minute walk down the way. We went for the Santa Cruz half marathon, which luckily the start was at the beach. The room was clean, no stains on the carpet or bedding. bed was soft and the coffee machine worked. We had a fridge and microwave. they have two jacuzzis which are outdoor, and a medium sized pool. Pool water was warmed. The housekeepers are very sweet. My husband was able to flash his pearly off whites and get us the soft fluffy towels which make a huge difference in drying time with all the humidity. There's an amazing taqueria right down the street I highly recommend. Hotel is pet friendly for a fee. It is by a busy street, but when relaxing in the jacuzzi, I couldn't even hear it.

• Stayed April 2013
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here whilst on a road trip from San Fran to San Diego. i was looking for great value, good location and good previous reviews. A friendly welcome in a smart reception area by polite staff. Nice big room with crisp white bed linen. Nice to have a duvet rather than sheets and blankets like most of the other motels we stayed in. Tv, decent shower, coffee machine all fine. Breakfast good and there is even a breakfast room to eat it in. Probably the best motel breakfast we had. Great location, just a short walk to the beach, pier and boardwalk. All in all very good value and a nice overnight stop. Great job!

Dortmund, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there one night on my way through CA. Had a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the street. The room itself was big, with fridge and coffee maker. There were a lot of good TV channels, although the TV itself was a bit outdated. Everything seemed clean and worked properly. I found the location good as well - it took me 5 to 7 min to the beach and about the same to downtown. The breakfast was ok as well - 2 kinds of juices (cranberry and orange), some pastries, bananas, waffle making station, bread, etc. They even have a breakfast room which was the first for me. Internet worked, even though they told me it was just enough to check e-mail (which is all i actually needed), i was able to watch a movie online! All in all, it is a very good deal for the price in the area, i would definitely stay here again. And if they change TVs, i'll give them 5 stars next time :-)

• Stayed March 2013
Soquel, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We spent 2 nights at Ocean Pacific Lodge--which we've done many times before. We had a room with a king size bed. Everything was clean. Was Very impressed with the shower--a huge shower! (I'd love to have 1 at home!) Like the fact that the Motel is so close to the beach and the Boardwalk and restaurants. The staff were very helpful and accommodating.

Room Tip: A room on the 2nd floor facing the pool is always night. The king size beds are always cozy.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is the best hotel we have stayed in whilst looking for a home here. There is tons to do if you come on holiday and all the staff we have encountered have been very helpful indeed. The rooms are clean and there is maid service every day if you want it. If not you can just go and ask for a fresh towel or what ever you need. The pool is great too (they supply the towels)
The walls are a little thin but as there is a no noise policy after 10 pm and they make it work. Its nice to support a family -run business too. The parking is a bonus - its free.
We will be staying here again I see people complain about the noise here - all they had to do was call the night porter and he stops it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business