Ocean Pacific Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Beach Street Inn and Suites(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$169
Dream Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$287
$239
  • Pool
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$162
$132
Hilton.com
Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$120
$100
ComfortInn
West Cliff Inn, a Four Sisters Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$229
$179
$174
Hotels.com
Quality Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$90
$81
QualityInn
Hampton Inn Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$230
$179
Hampton.com
Best Western Plus All Suites Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$119
$104
Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$117
$108
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsroom was cleanwafflesshort walkparking spaces aretv channelscold cerealadjoining roomswaffle makermicrowave and refrigeratorthird floorfree breakfastdowntown areacalled the front deskstayed here for one nightvisit santa cruzparking lotroad trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our daughter goes to school at UC Santa Cruz and for the last 4 1/2 years, we have been sampling the good and bad motel and hotels of Santa Cruz. Basically, the majority of the motels are old, tired and not maintained at all and we couldn't tell you of a good one. In addition, the families and owners actually think that run down tired old, rusty and dirty is the norm in the world. It would be nice if they got out and tried their competition in other major cities to see they are living in a alternate universe.

The OPL is somewhere in the middle but we are going to skip staying there again and just keep searching for a motel that just has someone who can communicate and resolve problems at its front desk, which this motel does not. Since our daughter will graduate in 2013, we will not have to worry about this for long.

The things the OPL has going for it was it was clean and the owners try to make it look up to date. with little things such as bed coverings, fresh paint and the exterior of the buildings are well maintained. However, that is where it ends. The beds are left overs from another era and you will not have a peaceful night. Their web site states free internet access. There is none and none is expected soon per the front desk.

The hot water was the key issue with our trip, there was none in the shower. There was in the sinks. This is the odd thing.

There was a bit hotter than medium hot and then all of a sudden went to icy cold in the middle of a shower. Oh that was thrilling. When I spoke to the gentleman at the front desk and asked for a discount for there being no hot water in the shower plus the water changing in the middle of the shower, he said the owners do not allow him to change rates. He then stared at me. Verbal communication was not his strong suit. This is another issue at the OPL. If you have an issue, there is no one to take care of it except a "care taker" who is more of less just sitting at the desk to take credit cards and check you in. I gave him my business card and asked for someone to call me about this issue and I am still waiting.

We will skip this place on our next visit to Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Don't count on hot water for your shower and there is NO INTERNET as stated on the OPL web site. There is no one at the front desk authorized to take are of issues.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I booked this hotel, because it claimed to have wireless internet, breakfast, etc.. I just needed a place to crash as I was on a quick business trip. Their website lies! There is no wireless internet! When I spoke to the front desk manager he said it was down, I asked for how long, he chuckled back "forever". He didn't seem to like it there too much. There were fruit flies in the room, the room also smelled like rotten pickle juice every time I turned the ac/heater unit on and the muffins at the breakfast were disgusting (completely stale).

I would stay here again, but only in a Santa Cruz LAST RESORT situation. The beds were comfortable and parking was very convenient. The young woman who checked me in was friendly, however I don't know how they manage working in that office- it wreaks w/ that rotten pickle juice smell.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We booked this at the last minute for a rate under 75$ but I would have paid more. They said their wife was down, but it worked for us. A spacious room with two queens, fridge, and continental b'fast.

Close to downtown and very short walk to West Cliff. The breakfast room is large. We stayed on the 3rd floor of 3 because I like to have noone above me. Quiet and comfortable.

I suggest rooms 314, 315, or 316 as their entry is on the interior. But I also noticed that the other rooms with entry over the parking lot have windows that look out over the pool which might be nice.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Within walking distance from shops, the boardwalk and the wharf. I had what was probably the noisiest room, since I was on the corner next to the round about and for me, it wasn't as bad as other "quiet" hotels have been. Nice room and decent breakfast. Ended up as a solo trip so I ended up going for lots of walks, which is a good way to learn about the area.

Room Tip: Look online for deals
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This place is fab. We booked on the day and got 50% off the rack rate. Easy parking. Cheap DIY laundry facility. Decent breakfast - they have a waffle iron (not my thing but cool if you like making waffles!) and loads of syrup to go with it. Easy walk to the wharf and the boardwalk. And super efficient and helpful reception staff. Also, they let us keep our car parked on site until 3pm (4 hours after check out). That was helpful because the Cool Water Classic was on and parking was a bit tight in the township.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family