“Very kid friendly and best location”
Review of Dream Inn

Dream Inn
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was our first trip to the Dream Inn - with my 11 and 12 year old. We LOVED the location (walk to pier, boardwalk, beach, anywhere) and the room was spacious enough to fit a rollaway in addition to two comfy double (or queen?) beds. We loved going to sleep and waking up to the surf (loved the 3rd floor!). I don't usually care about a beach view, but it really made a difference here because you felt like you were on the beach. We had dinner at Aquarius, which had great kid and adult food, my kids spent 3 hours in the pool because so many kids were in town for the weekend for sports, etc. The hot tub was always hot enough despite the traffic, and the heated pool made a difference. The front desk staff and cleaners were excellent and, yes, I too was irritated by the 'surprise' $24 valet charge - they implied when I checked in it was free - maybe they just mean that whether I parked it myself or not it was $24. Nonetheless, we will be back. Beach view $455 which seemed steep but was worth it.

Room Tip: Go for the beach view - high floor not necessarily better because you are ON the beach!
1  Thank SFMom
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! Our intent is to be very transparent regarding our $24 nightly parking charge. Please accept my apologizes for our miscommunication regarding this charge as the valet is no additonal cost over the self parking which is also $24. We hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Dream Inn

Reviewed May 26, 2013

After a very very long drive from Mammoth Lakes we were so pleased to walk into such a lovely room with amazing sea views. The rooms are the best thing about this hotel but be warned the rooms are not well insulated and this was the only hotel we stayed in during our 2 week touring holiday where you constantly had noise from other rooms. Another annoyance was the unadvertised $24 a day car parking charge! Very sneaky - just tell people in advance. Seeing dolphins playing in the sea right next to the beach at dusk helped remove the anger.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback! Please forgive us for anhy miscommunication regarding our parking fee. While it is $24, we do occasionally offer packages which include parking in the rate. I am happy to hear that overall your experience was an enjoyable one, and we look forward to having you with us to watch the dolphins again soon!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We flew into San Francisco on Wednesday May 8th and drove straight to the Dream Inn (well, actually via Safeway where we picked up some delicious chicken salad sandwiches - it was getting late and we didn't want to waste time sitting in a restaurant). Easy to find and very friendly staff helped us with our 4 suitcases.
Given that we were going to eat in our room, we were very pleased to find a perfect table with 2 chairs in the room. We could have eaten on the balcony but it was overcast and a bit cold.
The room was fine, the beds very comfortable, and it was great being able to leave the door to the balcony open and hear the waves crash on the beach.
The location was perfect - on the beach with walking distance to the Boardwalk (which we didn't do) and a lovely wharf with sealions and great ice-cream, which we did do.
Did I mention how friendly the staff are? In the morning after we left and were just driving around Santa Cruz I remembered I'd left a soft drink in the fridge. As we were near the hotel we went back to get it, and a lovely woman at reception insisted that I also take 2 bottles of water with me (complimentary of course).
Doug

1  Thank DougWeller
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am happy to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one, despite the cold weather. The temperatures are heating up now that we have officially made it into summer, and we hope to have you back with us again soon!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed here for a night to attend a family wedding. As others have said, the prices were on the higher side, so while my experience was overall positive (a great location!), I was expecting something a little better than what I found.

Since this is Trip Advisor, I'll get this out of the way first: the internet is on the lousy side. WiFi is free, but is obviously capped at about 0.75mbps. While usable for minimal web browsing, this is unacceptable for even SD steaming video or any kind of work purposes. In fact, it is far below the speed that the federal government even considers to be broadband internet for years! In 2013, placing such a low hard cap on internet speeds (perhaps so the hotel can charge more for meeting attendees?) is unacceptable.

My room was spacious and offered a nice view of the beach. On the other hand, it was on the ground floor right by the beach and pool, leaving me with a pretty constant racket. Kids loudly running down the hallway to/from the pool on the other side didn't help this atmosphere. The pool does close early at night though. I'd recommend a higher floor if possible.

Furnishings were fine, but clearly some were worn past their prime. The room's desk had a large gash slathered in a poor repair job that must have looked worse than the original defect. For seating, one has a choice of a hard one-piece plastic desk chair or a worn armless seat with a cigarette-style hole in the cover, both uncomfortable. There's a nice connection station to charge electronics and connect them to the TV.

Room Tip: Stay away from the beach and pool areas, especially on the low floors. Noisy!
1  Thank monty_zulu

Thank you so much for your extensive review. I want to first off apologize for the slow WIFI connection you experienced. While it is too little too late for your previous stay, we are happy to announce that we are in the process of upgrading our wireless bandwith to 50MB per second. The next time you are in Santa Cruz, please look us up and we would hope to impress you with a higher level of service and amenities. Thank you again!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I recently visited Santa Cruz for the first time on business. It was a beautiful drive down from SFO especially along route 17 to Santa Cruz. Several business associates decided we should stay at the Dream Inn, which is located on the beach overlooking Monterey Bay. Also Yelper Jennifer J. of San Francisco recommended I should stay at some specific rooms including room 327. Per Jennifer’s advice I joined the California’s Joie Vivre’s Joy of Life (JoL) hotel rewards program. After that I called the hotel and specifically requested room 327.

When I arrived in the evening, room 327 was available for my immediate check-in with a half bottle of red wine compliments of JoL. Room 327 is located on the main floor down the hallway from the check-in desk, but, is away from the pool, with a veranda overlooking the beach and the wharf. The room was absolutely spectacular. The only downside to the room is that it is located across the hall from the hotel’s housekeeping services, but, that did not bother me during my two night stay.

My room cost $177 including all charges and taxes. There was no charge for the valet parking, which was also nice compliments of the company I was visiting.

All in all I would recommend this boutique hotel to others visiting the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Tony J

Thank you for your detailed review. I am happy to see that the accounts of other travelers provided guidance and proved true for your recent stay with us at the Dream Inn. We look forward to continuing to exceed your expectations on your next stay with us!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The beach location is perfect! The Dream Inn is within easy walking distance to the wharf and boardwalk. The hotel staff were great! The facilities were great! The room size was a little tight and the prices were high but well worth the view and location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback! If you are ever inclined for a deal, check us out in October and November. The weather is usually fantastic and our shoulder season rates can be an attractive option. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at the Dream Inn this past weekend with my guy. We were in Santa Cruz b/c I ran the Capitola Half Marathon & we couldn't have picked a better hotel. The start line & the finish line were literally right there. Ok, back to the hotel: first off, I got a fabulous deal from a website SniqueAway, so we did not pay full price. Our room was on the 9th floor & the view was AMAZING! We could also just lay in bed & sea the ocean - so relaxing. The room was great, very comfortable bed, and spacious. We also used the pool & hot tub, which we loved. Didn't eat at the restaurant b/c it seemed a bit too "uppity" for us, but we walked to a few good places to eat. The staff at the hotel were super friendly, asking me how my run went. I would totally stay here again if I got a deal b/c it is a bit pricey for me, but man, for the run, totally worth it!

Room Tip: Try to stay on the highest floor you can - nothing beats that ocean view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

I am glad to see that the level of service you experienced was on par with our own high expectations. If you are interested in marathons, check out the Wharf to Wharf (held in July). The starting line is right in front of the hotel, and is a great 10k run. Hope to see you there!