“Great Stay”

Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Fresno, California
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed at the Dream Inn Santa Cruz few weeks ago.
Excellant facility. Check in was great. Valet and bell terrific.
Room was very nice ocean view and small balcony with table and two chairs.
Hot tub was hot and very nice pool area.
Beach access. Went to downtown was OK. Wharf was fun. Lots of resurants. Great places to have cocktails. Ideal Bar and grill for a great 5 buck breakfest special.
Head left out of hotel along coast for a great walk.
All in all a great time.
Would go back again. Got a great rate of $125 a night.

2 Thank rackman0000
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to providing the same level of exceptional service on your next stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Woodside, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've stayed at the Dream Inn twice recently, during the off season for Santa Cruz, meaning late fall when the boardwalk is empty and the temperature has dropped. I have been meaning to stay here for a while as it has an amazing location, right on top of the beach of historic and famous Santa Cruz.

First of all, I think that the rooms are amazing. I stayed in one of the least expensive rooms, and found it to be above my expectations. The room was spotlessly clean and hip in a funky sixties sort of way with bold primary colors. Nothing about the room was from the sixties however as all the furnishings and decor seemed to be newly renovated and fresh. While I would not plan to have my own shower stall be made of brilliant yellow land orange tiles, at this hotel it works flawlessly, playing on the history of the hotel as it was built in the 60's. Everything was very comfortable, the views were of endless coastline, amenities were charming. I must add that the room was spotlessly clean.

The staff was friendly, and knowledgable. Even in the off season, this place attracts a hip crowd. When checking out, a brand new rock and roll Tour bus pulled up, and a group of hipsters spilled out, along with a familiar overpowering aroma of the locally herb.

A few modest quibbles that detracted from my stay. Both times, there was a powerful stench of rotting organic ocean debris. It smelled like a whale had died close by. It was so bad that I could not open the balcony doors. Too bad as the balcony looked great. The hotel really has nothing to do with this though. Also, parking is $22 a day. That's fine for summer when there is no parking for miles, but feels a bit steep for the off season. Plus I am a local, and am used to finding free on street parking in Santa Cruz. However, it should be noted that the price is the same for valet or self park.

Also, staff entered the room with moments of knocking to check the minibar status (it had some great products in it). I did not even have time to respond before I found staff in the middle of my room. It was a bit awkward. Just a bit of training or aggressive use of the " do not disturb" sign by guests would have taken care of this.

I really have no quibbles about this place. I was quite pleasantly surprised. The rates are steep in the summer, but it is the high season after all. Off season rates are quite reasonable and you can't beat the location.

Tom says "Two thumbs up! Check it out! "

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! We look forward to having you back for another 2 thumbs up stay!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I booked a room at the Dream Inn for a weekend when over in San Fran for work. What can I say - the place is awesome.

A memory I have to this day is being woken up at 6am by the sunrise over the horizon and waves gently breaking on the beach below. Trust me this isn't a bad way to be woken up!

The room was well fitted out, and the bed was comfortable, and absolutely huge!

I'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view - you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Awesome and Outstanding-- You are too kind! We hope to have you back sooner rather than later! My understanding is that this weekend the waves are truly spectacular--just a thought for those wishing to to fall or sleep (or get woken up) by the sound of crashing waves! Thanks again!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We spent two nights at the Dream Inn and were very impressed with the property and customer service.We needed to charge our Nissan Leaf electric car so we arranged in advance to get a spot close to an outdoor 110 volt outlet in their parking lot, using our own charger and extension cord. We appreciate any business that accommodates EV charging so will definitely stay there again.
Our king room was clean, spacious, had an ocean view, a fireplace and large tub. We enjoyed walking both directions from the hotel - the boardwalk and pier to the south and the scenic trail to Lighthouse beach to the north.
The Aquarius restaurant was a great place to celebrate a birthday dinner, especially since I'm an Aquarius. I remember my mom taking us here in the 1970s and have great memories of playing at the beach and boardwalk. This is a very special place and much better now that JDV has put their boutique spin on it.

Room Tip: non-tower room had fireplace, great view and was spacious
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laurie F
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Glad to hear you were able to "gas up" with ease on your recent visit. I am please to see that you enjoyed our one of a kind Dream Suite and we'll look forward to having you back for another visit soon!
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

You can't beat this location or view. Rooms are smartly renovated.; plent of outlets for today's technology. Rooms in main tower offer the best ocean views. We stayed on the fifth floor this time. Staff are very accommodating. The walkway along West Cliff Drive conveniently brings you to the famed Santa Cruz boardwalk or you can walk for miles along the Pacific Ocean. The Wharf has plenty of great restaurant options and is also within walking distance. This is the only downtown hotel we stay at in Santa Cruz

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your 5 star review! We look forward to providing the same level of exceptional accommadations on your next stay!
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I have loved the Dream Inn since it re-opened as a Joie de Vivre property several years ago, and it has been one of my 'go to' favorite getaway places since then. Views are amazing and the service and rooms have always been great. For whatever reason, it was only on this latest trip when I thought to ask about their fitness center. Much to my surprise (particularly at $250+ a night), they do not have one... Ahh well - will pack better if I decide to return again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologizes for the lack of a fitness center. There are some great running trails next to the hotel that follow the coastline if interested in cardio, and spectacular to watch the sunset from for future reference. We hope to see you again soon!
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

We only stayed one night, but our 6th floor suite was comfortable, clean,and well-appointed. iPod docks, lots of plugs, and comfortable suite sitting area. The balcony was a little dingy-looking - it was pretty cold, so we weren't that interested in sitting out when it was 45 degrees, but if the weather had been warmer, I would have wanted a nicer balcony. The proximity to West Cliff Drive was great -- we went on long walks and really enjoyed the scenery -- surfers, Christmas decorations, and huge winter surf. The breakfast at the hotel restaurant, Aquarius, featured gigantic portions -- by SF standards, the food was just so-so. But the super friendly and attentive servers were great -- after a long freezing walk, they made sure we always had fresh coffee.

Room Tip: Go for the tower rooms on upper floors if possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! I am happy to hear that the level of service you experienced exceeded your expecations. Hopefully we can get you back when the weather does the same!