“Another great stay in Dreamland”
Review of Dream Inn

Dream Inn
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
San Francisco, California
“Another great stay in Dreamland”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was my second stay at the Dream Inn, and again, it was hard to leave this place! I could move in and be happy living there.

As a solo traveler who's accustomed to apartment living, I think these rooms are perfect. I had a Cloud room on the 10th floor, which had an incredible view, plenty of quiet, and a pair of binoculars for sightseeing. The room is tidy and chic and just the right size for 1 person. There is a mini-fridge, so you can save your leftovers or get snacks from a nearby store. The housekeepers left me extra coffee-pods for the keurig machine, at my request. There's a secure laptop-safe, which is excellent. The bathroom was fully equipped. With the ocean-sounds coming in off the balcony, and the big firm bed, I slept wonderfully for all 5 nights.

Love the midcentury-plastic-fantastic ambience of the place, the funky furniture, even the far-out plants (great landscaping). My vacation was a sort of working photography-vacation-- I always get lots of stunning shots of the hotel grounds, the view from the balcony & restaurant, and the surrounding streets. It's a picturesque place.

I found the staff to be very pleasant & accommodating everywhere I went, from the front desk to the pool bar to the restaurant, and also the groundskeeping & housekeeping staff too. Everyone was friendly, relaxed, and helpful.

The location can't be beat. It was a perfect home base while I walked, biked, & bussed myself all around to explore Santa Cruz. The beach is right there, all types of restaurants & coffee-shops are right there, Downtown is a leisurely walk away, and there's a great bike-rental shop a short walk away (Pacific Avenue Cycles).

I had only one disappointment in Room Service, that being the switch to plastic cups of yogurt for the Continental Breakfast... last year I remembered a nice bowl of it instead of an institutional cup. However, the berries/ fruit that come with your meal are all stupendous (especially during berry season).

But the food at Aquarius itself is absolutely lovely. It is pricey, but I am from San Francisco so the prices didn't shock me. I don't mind paying a little extra for local/organic ingredients or safe-sourced seafood. The standout entree this year was seared scallops on a pile of orzo & pancetta. And because this IS Santa Cruz, you always get cotton candy along with your check, instead of a breath-mint.

I intend to come back again whenever I can get some time off, in the off-season. Santa Cruz is fun all year 'round, and the Dream Inn always gives me the rock-star treatment.

Room Tip: Higher floors are a little quieter. Rooms in the Tower are quieter because they're further from...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JRuocco29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The Dream Inn is a wonderful hotel, we stayed for two nights on our road trip down the pacific cost highway. On arrival we were greeted by friendly reception staff. When we got to our room we couldn't believe how lovely it was, the website did not do it justice! It was immaculate, we had an ocean view room, if staying here I would definitely go for this as the views were spectacular.

We ate at the Aquarius restaurant located in the hotel, the food was great and reasonably priced. The pool area was great and the staff were so polite and helpful. We were really sad to leave as we had had an amazing say at the Dream Inn.

Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kasabian13
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

I was hoping for slik type of hotel on the water of Santa Cruz . Well the bathroom have no bath tub . Big minus in my book of traveling . The front desk lady was really tired too many cheacking in , for Friday . The coffee machine are for iq 200 and above . The balcony had ugly yellow chairs ! And the price we paid was crazy ! Over 469 dollars !!! And no breakfast included ! Ok wifi ! The room size is normal not too small but nothing to say wow ! In short suckers like us just been replaced by others they never die!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank navawritz
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hotel is one of my favorites! Located right on the beach, every room has a spectacular view of the ocean. The staff is friendly, attentive and helpful. Aquarius restaurant has a great menu and ambiance. We will definitely be back!

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel is in a lovely location -- our small children spent the day in a loop of ocean/sand play, jacuzzi warm-up, swim in the deliciously-heated pool, repeat. There were plenty of pool-side seats, and it was easy to order drinks/food. The kids were having so much fun that we didn't even bother with the Boardwalk and wharf, although they were steps away. The room was pretty nice with a view, and we all slept well to the sound of the sea. From the outside, the hotel looks like a grim 1960s Soviet-bloc concrete box. The architectural bones have not changed, despite a clever & sharp cosmetic remodel in mid-century colors. (I prayed there wasn't an earthquake, because unless they've done a retrofit, this is the type of building that does not do well.) The 4 pm check-in time is late and our room was not ready until after then -- there's not even a place to store bags, so we had to leave them in the car -- and the valet then forgot to deliver them even after we got the room. The staff is not particularly friendly. The food at Aquarius was pretty so-so. For the price, I expected better service and a more luxurious feel. But, despite this, I must admit that our family had a blast, and our kids would be delighted to return.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Besides having a great view as well as a beautiful hotel, the staff is so friendly and helpful. We loved eating our dinner on the balony where we had an outstanding view of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, Wharf, and Beach. We just loved how the sun looked as it rose in the morning and loved how the waves sounded all night long ! The bathroom was beautiful and the shower head was wonderful. Even though we went to the Dream Inn since I was on a business trip, when we will go back there again; we will go there only for pleasure.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a King sized bed so that you have a larger room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jan W
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This hotel is located on the beach about 1/4 mile from the boardwalk and steps away from the wharf. Clean, bright rooms and service-oriented, friendly staff made out trip one to remember. The checkin/checkout process was painless. The restaurant food was good and reasonably priced. The pool was heated and contained salt water - no chlorine! There is beach access from the pool and a nice warm shower to use when returning from the beach. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean view.
2 Thank mmcquest