“Service is friendly, rooms are comfortable.”

Lanai Lodge Santa Cruz
Ranked #10 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Jacksonville
“Service is friendly, rooms are comfortable.”
Reviewed October 24, 2010

My husband and I had to stay here for 6 weeks for work. The owners are incredible friendly and have great rates to boot. The rooms may not be new and clean to some but the housekeeping does an amazing job. Great location for the whark, boardwalk and a nice sunset walk on Westcliff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank honeybee109

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Murphys, California
Reviewed July 15, 2010

If you are into mold, hair all over the place and a stink like my workboots, this is the place to stay. Son has allergy to mold. Asked for my money back. Was told no. Terrible, Terrible place. Thieves.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank bob32763

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I had an absolute terrible experience with this hotel. When I tried to call and alter my reservation with the actual physical hotel, although I was within the time frame they state that one can alter their reservation, I was told they would not honor this.

I booked through an online company (not the Magnuson group, they're actually great), so when I first called to try to alter my reservation, I had a very hard time communicating with the lady that answered the phone, but was finally told by her that I needed to contact the online company to change my reservation. Fair enough...

When I called the online company, they told me that I had to take it up with the hotel. Ok...

So I called the hotel back, and asked to speak with the manager. I was told he would be in at 5pm.

I called at 5pm and got a new man, that said the manager was here, but he left quickly and would not be back until Monday. I asked when on Monday, and I got the run around. When I tried to explain the situation the man on the phone said "you can tell me your problem, but it wont do any good, I'm just going to go home and do nothing." Shocked, but realizing he was being honest, I asked again what time the manager would be in. This time I was told, "you probably will never get to talk to him."

What?

I repeated back what the man said to me, and he said "oh you know what, I'm not answering anymore questions, you can talk to me, I'll listen, but I'm not going to say anything else." I will admit, I was pretty frustrated at this point, and the guy working at this flea bag, really probably has enough problems without me hassling him.

At a loss at what to do, I looked further into this hotel, and saw they were represented by the Magnuson Hotel group, so I called their reservation number and to see if they could be of any help. They were VERY helpful, very friendly, and gave me the numbers of the people that could probably help me, and their contact information if I needed them again.

Well, sadly, I did contact those numbers, and those numbers did insist on contacting the hotel, where they said they spoke with the manager, and he would not alter my reservation! Confused, I called the hotel back, hoping the manager had come back. Nope, I was still told there was no manager there.

When I tried to explain that someone had just called them and was told that they did indeed talk to the manager, I was hung up on.

I'm sure if you made it this far in the story, you can imagine this just kept circling. I did however call back the only helpful people in this, and they offered me a few more venues of hope, but still no resolution.

I did learn a very good lesson, and that is if I was forced to ever stay at this place of horrendous customer service, I would book it through the Magnuson group, as they actually care about customers and honor their rules.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank flansy
stockton
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Spent a few nights here, regretted it the whole time. There were no coat hangers in room, some of TV stations came in but no sound. Sliding screen door was broken, bathtub had stains, medicine cabinet was full of rust, heater thermostat was hanging lopsided and fixture on wall broken,we were leary to turn heater on. Few boards on patio outside of room were loose, inside of drapery needed cleaning. Outside needs to have wood scraped and repainted.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank georgeStockton
California
Reviewed May 28, 2009

This motel is in a perfect area of Santa Cruz. It is a block away from the beach and on the outter rooms there is a partial view of the beach from the balcony. We have a 17 month old and the room seemed pretty childproof..Our room also had a kitchen which is perfect for a family tring to not eat out for every meal. The rooms can use some remodeling but the price for a night are awsome..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank rootpopp
Redwood City, California
Reviewed March 18, 2009

believe it or not, my boyfriend and I love this place so much, we have been back twice,
the rooms are old and outdated, but the sunset is incredibly nice from the rooms of this place, -dont get me wrong, we normally dont stay at cheap motels like this one, but hey, who would've thought we would fall in love with it?

you can see the skate park from the room, and also the beach.

This place is pretty basic, just a roof and bed, but its worth it.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VeNuSeena
weston super mare
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Great Location - easy to find off the Interstate.

Clean room, nice comfy beds, room's could do with a bit of updating but everything there works fine and the main thing everything is clean.

our room had a balcony and you could see the sea from there, would have seen more of it if we had a room on the first floor.

Breakfast was basic - Pastries, coffee and orange juice but it did the job.

Amazingly close to the Santa Cruz Wharf literally around the corner 5 minute walk if that. Definatly recommend walking down to the end of the wharf to see the Sea Lions.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank chicken