“not at all the same”

Ranked #3 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
no. california
“not at all the same”
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We used to stay at the Cliff Crest every year when Bruce and Sharon owned the property. We stayed ONCE after the new owners took over. They almost doubled the room rates and the breakfast was HORRIBLE.......I won't even go into what we (or did not) have. The plumbing was broken, we had no water in our bathroom; we had to use another bathroom. The new owner was extremely pushy, wanted us to write a glowing review about the place BEFORE we checked out. This is such a beautiful property...we miss Bruce and Sharon......we now stay at the Babbling Brook and love it. Don't stay at the Cliff Crest!!!!

• Stayed June 2004
6 Thank julie h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
CA
Reviewed May 30, 2005

I stayed at the Cliff Crest B&B during a business trip. My son attends UCSC, so I thought this would be perfect, since I was traveling alone. When I arrived, the innkeeper was polite, however very anxious to get the bill settled, immediately. The rate I was quoted over the internet was not honored.

The innkeeper, who is the owner told me the "accountant" would not allow the price change. I was staying mid-week, when they were slow and offered a mid-week discount... again, not honored.

The food was less than desirable. Although there was another couple staying during my visit, they and I both felt that we were putting the inn keeper out at breakfast. The food was bad and poorly done. There was no organization to the breakfast menu, more of : what do you want to eat? Cream and sweetener were not offered with coffee, nor were they available.

The room was passable, and nothing more. The second day, which I checked out, I did not have breakfast, nor was I able to shower due to the ICE COLD WATER in the shower, which did not heat up after 15 minutes of running it.

This is not somewhere I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank Suzg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 26, 2004

First of all, we stayed here in the dead of winter, so keep in mind it wasn't a busy time for the hotel. Upon arrival, though we had made reservations for a specific (Rose) room, the innkeeper nonchalantly tried to persuade us to stay in a different room. When we decided we'd rather have the room we reserved (duh!), we realized that it had an extra king size bed in it!! We were informed that a family had stayed in that room just before us and they had not taken the bed out of the room. So the room was cramped. The innkeeps were nice, however the food was terrible, horrendous. The decor at the place is chaotic, with layers of faux-antiques and 'art'. Even the four poster bed was from 'Bombay Company' (cheap). To add insult to injury, the owner and some random live-in decided to haul a giant metal desk upstairs and past our room at 8:30 AM during one of our only 2 mornings there. The bathroom is sadly in need of repair, with broken glass shades on lamps, peeling wallpaper and dirt on the wainscotting. The shower HURTS, and we're not kidding. The spray was so painful, that it made us dread going under the water. We had a great time in Santa Cruz, but the hotel was not part of it.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member