Cliff Crest Bed and Breakfast Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Beach Street Inn and Suites(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$169
Dream Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$287
$239
  • Pool
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$162
$132
Hilton.com
Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$120
$100
ComfortInn
West Cliff Inn, a Four Sisters Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$229
Quality Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$90
$81
QualityInn
$179
$174
Hotels.com
Hampton Inn Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$230
$179
Hampton.com
Best Western Plus All Suites Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$119
$104
Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$117
$108
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bwonderful hostsensuite bathroomold victorianboth morningsoff street parkinga lovely stayvisit santa cruzadrianaconstantineboardwalkdowntownwharfcaliforniaprivacy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 21, 2008

These people have an arbitrary and vague cancellation policy. Cancellations must be made within ten days, although my husband was told it was within 24 hours of the night of stay on the phone.

The cancellation fee is determined by unknown criteria and does not adhere to typical B&B policies. Most B&Bs reserve the right to charge a fee for cancellations if they don't rent the room. If they do rent it, they typically will charge a nominal fee ($25) or nothing at all.

We cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances a full five days before our scheduled stay. Technically, we have to pay the fee. However, our stay is scheduled on Pier to Pier weekend. Everything in Santa Cruz is booked solid. That room will not remain empty for long, and the innkeepers know it. Nevertheless, we'll be forced into paying whatever random figure they dream up. Could be $60 or it could be $200+ based on the determination of some mystery "Office Administrator." Why isn't the cancellation fee a matter of documented policy. A reputable establishment generally has no problem providing such information and backing it up in writing or on their web site for reference. Oh... and did I mention that the cancellation was made the same day the reservation was confirmed? They didn't lose any potential guests in the span of a few hours. This is preposterous.

Unscrupulous, greedy and opportunistic. Steer clear of this inn. We might have considered re-booking if our patronage had been of higher value to the proprietors. Unfortunately, they only care about taking your money any way they can.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Parizienne
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed at the charming Cliff House and throughly enjoyed the experience. The room we had was WONDERFUL, quiet, and well-appointed. We enjoyed meeting the host and hostess, who went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and pleasant. We LOVED the breakfast, and the ambiance of the breakfast nook with bay windows looking out on the Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz. The property is just 3 short blocks from the Boardwalk, and we walked to the Municipal Pier for dinner and then strolled the Boardwalk to enjoy the 'free music Friday night' show of Herman's Hermits! What a flashback.
It was a great weekend, very nice to meet the other guests in the house at breakfast - one family was visiting from Italy! Everyone was in such a good mood, I know they slept as well as we did in our peaceful, comfortable beds. Such a great experience, compared to noisy hotels, with doors banging open and closed all night long all up and down the hallways. I would definitely stay here again, and will recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 4, 2008

Being on a low fixed income, and a senior citizen, I treat myself to a 3 night vacation locally here once a year. My sons give me a few extra dollars to treat myself to some pampering so I went online and saw this inn an hour from home. It looked like something I would enjoy. I wanted a warm, charming elegant place with a private bathtub to soak in. I chose Santa Cruz since it is only an hour from my place. It was very deceiving. When I got there I noticed the place is not anywhere near a "cliff" nor on a "crest" as the name implies. And the room I had reserved was given to someone else because "they could pay more" she said to my shock. Instead of the promised "Rose Room" I was shown 2 other rooms which were not made up yet. One of the rooms had 5 beds in it much like a boarding house or dorm room. The other room had a King and a twin bed in it. It is the one I picked but it was very shabby and I was not comfortable from the moment I walked in the door. I had no other options for a Saturday evening in Santa Cruz that I decided to stay and tough it out. I went to lunch at the wharf which is 2 blocks away, while they did the room and then returned. This room was right next to the front door, which was extremely noisy all the time, with street and traffic noise plus the front door opening and shutting constantly, and my door was a glass door to top it off, with an old musty window shade on it. There were 3 security locks on my bedroom door which was also disconcerting. Why would they need 3 locks? The inn certainly looked NOTHING like the photos on the website. The website says "sit by the fireplace and read a book". Well there is no living room, parlor, or any sitting area and NO comfortable chair to sit in. The tiny metal fireplace which is about 15" by 20" is located in the main foyer area with only 2 dining chairs and a tiny round table. The place is covered in old papers and dusty kitch knick knacks. If you want to sit and read, you can do so in your room, or in the weedy (foot high) back yard with 10 year old K-Mart type furniture lacking some straps on the chairs which was referred to as "the garden". I kid you not. Weeds and grass a foot high minimum. The front entry room was cluttered totally with personal dusty papers everywhere. And dirty carpeting. My bathroom was so small I could turn my head from the commode and touch the toilet paper holder with my nose. No light above the sink at all but it didn't matter because the sink faucet was broken. I asked for a plug for my curling iron and she brought me an extension. No place to plug anything in the bathroom. The bottom sheet on the bed had HOLES in it. The top sheet was sewn back together after an obvious tear. The sheets were tattered and very worn out. The sliding glass door to the tub/shower combo was corroded with rust and gunk. The light in the bedroom was fluorescent and difficult to read by. For $219 a night you should have bright incandescent bulbs. I was awake all night with the street noise. In the morning I attempted to open my window for some fresh air and it fell down. It would not stay open. It was broken like so many other things here.
Breakfast time: A real experience! The owner first brought me a fruit cup which was a good start. Then she said we had to eat our fruit alone and not together with other foods because of the lower intestine digestion. HUH? Coffee was ok. Served in tiny antique cups you could not get your fingers through. . I was brought a basket to select a bread. English muffins, a box of frozen waffles, and 2 store bought cheap white and whole wheat bread. I chose a slice of whole wheat. She then brought RAW eggs to our table and gave a speech on our digestive system and cholesterol. It was pretty disgusting describing the activities of the colon and digestive system at breakfast. She demonstrated how to remove the membrane from the egg yolk so one would lower one's cholesterol. We never asked for such a lecture. We just wanted breakfast. YUK! The experience was horrible. $219.00 a night for this? I then packed my bags and told her this was an unacceptable place for me and I would like a refund. She told me that Santa Cruz people were "laid back" and the people who come there wore sandals and that seeing the way I was dressed, I am not fitting in to the scene here. Santa Cruz was not going to be a town for me. I said "Thank you for the compliment and now I want a refund". After much back and forth she refunded my money. Oh did I mention that it is the first thing she did upon arrival is to get all the money up front? Now I know why. ( I left and chose a fantastic B&B in Aptos where the place was impeccably maintained, all top notch amenities were provided, the gardens were amazing, and the hostess was loving, gracious and professional. The gourmet breakfast was NO comparison to the first place.)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
6  Thank roxy383
Reviewed March 23, 2008

I stayed here recently with my wife and kid for one night. The place is radically different from what I was expecting of a BandB in this price range and from the pictures on the website. The couple that runs it is very sweet and friendly but the place is in disrepair. There were cobwebs and SPIDERS above our four poster bed as well as in the bathroom. The toilet in the bathroom is wedged between the shower and the door leaving just enough room for someone to squeeeeze in! The breakfast was a joke. There was no menu - just some storebought bread, cheap coffee and eggs. The worst part was the heat was turned off in the middle of the night, leaving us and more importantly our 4yr old really cold and upset.
Don't be fooled by the pictures at the website - this place is unfortunately very different from any reasonable expectation for a BandB in this price range!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Ramesh B
Reviewed December 20, 2007

The location is convenient, and we really appreciated the owners' child policy since we were traveling with our infant and many other B&Bs prohibit kids, but otherwise were disappointed with our stay. The innkeepers were nice enough but the amenities (towels, toiletries that were half full) left something to be desired, and the breakfast was especially disappointing. A great breakfast is normally one of our favorite aspects of staying in B&Bs, and this one consisted of our choice of store-bought bread from a basket and cooked eggs. It was the same both mornings we had breakfast. Sad for us because we always look forward to a breakfast that is a little more special. Overall, we found it a bit pricey for what was offered and wouldn't stay here again. For travelers looking primarily for a historic house filled with memorabilia, Cliff Crest Inn might a better fit than it was for us.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family