“We (heart) Santa Cruz Diner...believe the hype”
Review of Santa Cruz Diner

Santa Cruz Diner
Ranked #21 of 374 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Although full breakfast was offered at our B&B, we opted out the last morning to return to the Santa Cruz diner. The first time we visited was a late night after dancing at Moe's Alley. We had no idea as to the quality but figured if it was crowded on a late Thursday night it should be o.k.

It was not even in the ballpark of o.k., it was sublime.

I will forwarn you: if you expect wait staff to fawn over you, don't visit ANY diner. By the very nature of them, the wait staff are usually efficient, courteous and fast, and the Santa Cruz Diner doesn't disappoint...and as an West Coast transplant from back East, I've been to a TON of diners and this one ranks amongst the best.

We sat at the counter both times and were served promptly and courteously. My fiance had the biscuits and gravy: the biscuits are so big they merit their own area code, so unless you're a sumo wrestler or have danced at a 48-hour rave, order just one. They are HOMEMADE while-you-wait! We returned a second time because he loved the biscuits that much and they were perfect the second time as well.

I ordered the whole-wheat and honey pancakes the first time (amazing, fluffy, light) and the French Toast topped with farm-fresh blueberries with sweet cream cheese the second time. The blueberrries were juicy and the dish delish. To add to the atmosphere, we sat next to an (Anglo) Davis native who works with amphibians and writes Salsa songs.

You can't make this stuff up.

We were so impressed that we proudly christened our car's bumper with the bright yellow "We (heart) the Santa Cruz Diner" sticker. We do.

15  Thank LatinaTopaz
There are newer reviews for Santa Cruz Diner

Reviewed May 20, 2009

After seeing all the "We love Santa Cruz Diner" bumper stickers and hearing people talk about it, I decided to try it while my car was being serviced yesterday. I was seated quickly by a very friendly woman and another friendly woman took my order.

My iced tea was large, strong and tasted freshly brewed. Refills were offered. I ordered the chicken crepe with hash browns and was disappointed. It sounded so good when I read the menu that I was nearly drooling-- pieces of chicken sauteed with bell pepper, mushroom and onion with cheese. Just what I wanted after reading their extensive and delicious-sounding menu.

The chicken was so dry and overcooked that it was almost impossible to chew. Conversely, the veggies were seasoned exclusively with oil. Lots of it. The cheese consisted of a slice of American, processed cheese. My heart sank (as my arteries closed). I ate only half and left the rest on my plate. It's sad when the frozen hash browns are the highlight of the meal.

Maybe I will try something else next time because everyone seems to love this place, and it is a friendly, local, funk place where all seem welcome, and I like that. For now, though, if I want breakfast out, it's Linda's Sea Breeze for me.

4  Thank NativeCalGal
Reviewed March 4, 2009

Better than Denny's

14  Thank toropeza
Reviewed February 25, 2009

Now don't listen to all the primamadonna reviews. If you want luxury dining I don't suggest going any place that says diner in the title. Common sense people. Now haven't been in the middle of the night so can't say if it's the workers or drunk reviewers that are the problem. Go for dinner. It's crowded but they are busted there butts in the kitchen and the floor. The food is good and you cannot beat the price period! If your looking for a five star restaurant experience if you can't tell your in the wrong place that's your fault. Good food. Lots of choices. Family owned, homecooked are alot of the meals. This is it. Dinner for four 35 bucks. Yep 35 no joke plus tip. Very satisfied and guess what you can go out to eat even in this econonmy!

15  Thank morefood
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 17, 2009

it's cheap and ok food. The atmostphere is cool.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook