“Nice little sushi place”
Review of Sushi Totoro

Sushi Totoro
Ranked #189 of 389 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Service was great and the sushi was great. Lots of choices. Its a small place, but we went early and had no problem getting in.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We eat at Sushi Totoro on a regular basis. We usually order bento boxes and then split 1-2 specialty rolls. The portions are reasonable-sized and priced reasonably as well, and there are many "interesting" rolls—we like the double hamachi roll and the TNT (deep fried spicy tuna roll).

One drawback is that the restaurant is small (seats about 40 people), so there can be a wait when they're busy. Also, the restaurant can be somewhat loud.

Overall, it's a decent neighborhood sushi bar - nothing spectacular, but a good place to go if you want to leave downtown Santa Cruz.

2  Thank santacruzer_95060
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Drove through Santa Cruz to Davenport on Hwy 1 and felt like I needed a sushi snack...saw the sign for sushi Totoro and pulled into their parking lot. I like the Totoro caricature..its a popular cartoon in Japan and apparently in the U.S. too.
I sat at a little table by the door and looked through their menu and was suprised and how many rolls had sauces on them. I ordered a couple of nigiri sushi and also some rolls. The nigiris were so-so, couldnt taste any flavor in the rice and the rolls!!!?? The rolls were slathered in sauces up the wazoo! I could barely taste the fish inside the rolls..I'm guessing the sauce was to cover up the fact that they dont know how to make sushi rice....I'm a little on the traditional side when it comes to my sushi, so I definitely would not come here for sushi again. In all fairness, I did not try their lunch or dinner but I dont think I'll be back for a long while even for that.

1  Thank 2pickydiner
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 29, 2009

Could easily become my new favorite place!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Oakland, California
Reviewed August 29, 2008

Best Caterpillar rolls in the world. Prime time Unagi as well.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook