“Beautiful Night Indeed”

Bella Notte - The Inn at East Cliff
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed August 23, 2008

The Bella Notte Inn, meaning 'beautiful night' in Italian, is the place to stay when visiting Santa Cruz. Initially, I was apprehensive about booking 2 nights/3 days for the lady and myself because the price seemed too inflated. Once we arrived on site, our stress levels faded as Michelle cordially allowed us to select a room.

Michelle presented us 2 rooms and we selected room 4 as it contained a bubble bath; the other room was much larger but was reserved for the handicapped.

From the duck down pillows by Pacific Coast to the romantic ambience created by the room's light features, we will definitely stay here again.

Our favorite features:

*ample parking: although if the inn was full, I don't think there is enough stalls for every guest (even with 1 car space per guest)

*cordial welcome: Michelle allowed us to select our room and suggested local restaurants; Al, who I believe is the owner, was also friendly

*room amenities: heated bathroom tile, bath tub with jet feature, romantic lighting, wet bar, fridge, mirrored closet with robes, sandals and safe with keypad, very comfy pillows and bed...everything was simply wonderful

*breakfast: boxed cereal, Costco muffins, fruit, english muffin, apple or orange juice, and other selections

**location: Mexican restaurant approximately 250 feet, Twin Lakes Beach in just 7-10 minutes walking, and a quick drive to the boardwalk, downtown and other local attractions

*the lobby also has a DVD library which we failed to utilize

Please review our images for your consideration.

Thanks,

A_and_V_Jimenez

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A_and_V_Jimenez

Reviewed August 20, 2008

Booked this hotel for my elderly parents. Staff bent over backwards to accommodate their needs. The room was perfect for them. The walk in shower and heated floors made the experience so pleasant. They were in town for their grandsons wedding and were delighted with the hotel, staff and the town of Santa Cruz. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed at the Bella Notte last week for two nights. The room was lovely, new, clean, comfortable and very tastefully decorated. While on a moderately busy street, I heard no street noise because I had the air conditioner on. The bathroom and room are very large and the wireless internet is fast and free. There was an in-room fridge, little cocktail sink and closet safe.

In addition to the bed, my room only had one little straight back desk chair. There is ample room to put a reading chair and footrest which would add to the guests' comfort.

The continental breakfast downstairs was a little sketchy (there were guests sitting and eating right in front of the little sideboard where they had the food. To get food, I had to nearly put my rear in their faces). I didn't even realize there was a refrigerator with yogurt and juices. The continental breakfast doesn't start until 8:00, which is way too late for most of us over who rise early. When I checked in, there was no offer of help with my bags which would have been a problem had I had a larger bag ( I certainly would have asked). I did not see an elevator and I was on the second floor, so I lugged my bag up the stairs. For $200 plus per night, you expect to receive the little courtesies.

The above are mostly comments and not complaints-the innkeeper can fix a lot of these.

I will stay here again in a heartbeat since I will be visiting Santa Cruz regularly.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank operarose
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Terrific management, well-appointed rooms, great price, clean as a whistle, and 600-thread-count sheets - what more could you want? How about heated floors in the bathrooms? The climate keeps the outdoor temps comfortable, so no heating or cooling was necessary for the room, but those heated floors in the bathroom made early morning and late night showering heavenly. Plus - no shower stall - one whole wall of the bathroom is devoted to a big open shower.

We got lost trying to find the place in the dead of night and the office manager drove out to our location and led us in. A decent map of the area will show that East Cliff Road breaks up along the coast, but it's great to know that the innkeepers jump to the most accommodating solution. Their helpfulness and niceness was unrelenting.

We checked around - this is THE place to stay in the area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2008

The Good-

The outside of the hotel is very well kept. Landscaping is very tidy. Our room was fantastic! Two queen size beds, brand new decor, heated floor in the bathroom, two sinks, free wireless internet, VERY CLEAN. Nice amenities in the room including satellite TV with a nice large flat panel TV. Nice appointments throughout. Granite counters, nice linens and towels, and a good assortment of "spa" type lotions and potions. Has a big walk in closet with an in-room safe. This room was more than large enough for the four of us (wife, two kids (ages 6 and 3) and me.

The Bad-

OK, so I need to get knit-picky to get to the "bads". The satellite TV was a bit finicky. Seems too many options for my aging self. The prior guest had it on the wrong input and I just kept running myself in circles. If I were more patient, then I would have found the right input. I had to *gasp, ask for help. Also, there were only 2 towels in the room for the 4 of us. Not a big deal, we just need to ask for more.

The Ugly-

The location of the hotel is on a somewhat busy street. Not too much road noise from the room, but maybe a little busier than we're used to. No swimming pool (not a big deal since we came here for the beach!).

Summary -

We researched the hotel options quite heavily before we arrived. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at things), there are no large chain hotels here in Santa Cruz (think Ritz, 4 Seasons.....Marriott) The nearest one is a Hilton that got some conflicting reviews. We have an early morning surf lesson so we opted to stay closer to the beach to get a little more sleep time.

We're familiar with the area and the hotel options available so I was expecting a drive up "motel" type facility in the pink/light blue variety with the station wagons parked in the diagonal parking stalls immediately in front of the rooms. (Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you. We had prepared ourselves for that....)

So when we passed a number of these types of facilities looking for Bella Notte, we were quite pleased to see this tidy little facility. Not that many rooms, but that's OK. As I write this, I'm told that the hotel is only 4 years old (as of 2008). Not a remodel mind you, but built from the ground up new. Our room and its amenities looked brand new.

The Mrs. really loved the heated floor in the bathroom. I personally liked all of the space. The last family trip we took was to New York so I was fearful of another cramped room given our growing family. Not so here. Plenty of space for my family and all of its gear.

Price was not bad either. Not "knock your socks off" good, but fair given the care that the owners of this facility obviously put into the property. I would definitely recommend this to our family and friends if they ever wanted to stay in the night in Santa Cruz.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank To'ere
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Unrivaled upmarket experience in Santa Cruz!
The tastefully decorated and spacious room that we had was fitted out with the best materials and equipment, and the bed was incredibly comfortable, complete with very soft Egyptian cotton. The owner is evidently aiming to provide exceptional accommodations in Santa Cruz, and this was just what we received over the four nights that we stayed.
In reception, Alan is the most accommodating, charming and helpful host, able to recommend very good restaurants (including the nearby good value Crow’s Nest), and Michele was also a mine of helpful local information. Susan was a joy to meet.
The location is good – away from the buzz of the Boardwalk in the summer season, but near enough to beach, mall, restaurants and other local services.
If we visited Santa Cruz again we would reserve a room here without hesitation. We have already recommended it to friends, and will do so to anyone who asks.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HardtopleaseNorwich
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Very comfortable, very quiet and relaxing atmosphere. Excellent service from "Allan" at the front desk. One of the most comfy beds I have ever slept in. My home away from home when in Santa Cruz!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business