“A Thanksgiving Surprise”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Fremont, California
“A Thanksgiving Surprise”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Our first experience in Korean cuisine was a pure delight. We joined 3 other couples on what we learned was Korea's "Thanksgiving Day" for dinner at Han Sung. We were welcomed by a very gracious staff in an airy well-appointed dining room. We were very fortunate that two of our party spoke Korean and proceeded to discuss the menu with our server. While they discussed the possible choices, I looked over the menu and was impressed by the selection and description of each dish; all of which sounded delicious and tempting.

Since many of our party were new to Korean food, the generous and mouth-watering selections included in one of the group dining choices seemed to be a good choice. With the addition of a couple of other selected dishes we were set.

As the burning wood and many many condiments began to appear we knew were in for a special experience. Our anticipation grew as the main dishes were served and the various meat, chicken, fish and vegetables were placed on the central BBQ and we couldn't wait to taste the enticing foods that were placed before us.

The sight and aroma of wood cooking were a definite addition to the wonderfully different tastes of each of the dishes. Our Korean friends explained each of the dishes and the technique required to assemble each onto a fresh lettuce 'wrap'. We soon got the technique down pat and proceeded to devour everything in sight.

To say we enjoyed our meal would be an understatement. The food was wonderful, the service excellent and the venue itself was open, airy and charming. The commercial ventilators above the BBQs were not a distraction and actually somehow added to the overall atmosphere of the restaurant.

A bit out of the way for our normal dining area, Han Sung has definitely been added to our list of favorites.

• Visited October 2012

Ohio
“No real complaints”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stopped in for a late lunch and it was still open at 2:15 when a few other similar places had already closed until dinner. I had the stone bowl bi bim bap, a pretty standard dish. It was good, a little bland, but still tastey - especially after I added a few squirts of the hot sauce that was on the table. The portion was decent sized for lunch and reasonably priced.

The staff was efficient (there may have been one or two other tables occupied while I was there) but I wouldn't call them warm or friendly and chatted in Korean across the hostess stand and wait station. The decor is nothing special, with an emphasis on easy to clean. The dining area was clean and I was in and out pretty quickly.

Good, not terrific, but no real complaints either.

Visited November 2011
San Jose, California
“Authentic Korean BBQ, tasty side dishes”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

This is one of my favorite Korean restaurants in the South Bay. They offer one of the higher end BBQ experiences, with real charcoal blazing in a grill at your table, just like in Korea. The prices at lunch are very reasonable, maybe $11 for a very filling lunch. The panchan (side dishes) are tasty and varied. Each time I come back they change something, but at least they always have good kimchi. The dinner prices for grilling bulgogi or pork are a bit high. They make an excellent kimchi cheegae (soup) as well as sundooboo (tofu stew). I'm always happy eating here because it reminds me of being in Busan. Friendly service if a bit harried during busy times. Very tasty and authentic, just the way I like it. Highly recommend.

• Visited November 2011