“Everything is good, but smell in the room has been unbearable.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I've been in this hotel before. This time smell in the room has been unbearable. I've tried to open a window in order to ventilate the room, but has been able to slightly open it.
All the rest has been good (room furniture, breakfast etc.), but this smell is something I believe management should fix as soon as possible.

• Stayed: October 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear mdmitry,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced over the smell of the room. Please be assured that we take this matter seriously as this will also be looked into immediately. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Maintenance in this hotel is mediocre. Had a few issues. First the light at the entrance to the room didn't work. The service people left the AC at maximum cold mode. When I returned at night the room was frozen. 3rd the cleaning lady left the bathtub stopper in the middle of the bathtub

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear sananes,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Santa Clara for two nights on business. I arrived from the east coast on a morning flight and got to the hotel around 11:00 am. I asked if I could check in early and the person at the desk checked, and found that there were no clean rooms yet. She invited me to sit in the breakfast area and set me up with wifi and coffee. After 15 minutes she came in to tell me the room was now ready. Very nice!

The room was clean and and functional. Nothing fancy, but what you expect at a HIE. Breakfast was good and my few interactions with the hotel staff were friendly and pleasant. The hotel is a $20 cab ride from the San Jose airport. It would be nice if there was an airport shuttle, but that is not that big of a deal. The area around the hotel is typical suburbia with fast food places, tire and auto repair stores and the like. The Walgreens down the road is well-stocked with food and beverages in addition to typical pharmacy goods. It is pricey ($230/night with taxes) but I guess that is to be expected given the location. I disagree with the review of Rafi S: the fitness center is not very good. One stairmaster, one treadmill and some sort of lame weight machine all in a tiny room. That was probably the only bad thing to say about the place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Great hotel. Exceeded my expectations. Couldn't fault anything. Nice little pool area. Lovely breakfast, everything you could want with bag to take away if you're in a hurry. Mixture of clientele, business people and families. Clean, comfortable rooms. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here in August 2013. Room was nice and new. They have a pool, which I did not expect to see in such a hotel. My room faced the pool so no noise. I assume other rooms can be noisy. There was a kitchenette in the room as well - very convenient. Room was spacious and clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at this property during a business trip in the Silicon Valley in August 2013.
Although quite old, this hotel is nice and pleasant.
Definitely a good value.
Breakfast is nice, but fruits are missing...
Good fitness center.
Nice staff service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Rafi S,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay with us. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

Janice A

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My sister, her kids, and I stayed her during a recent vacation. We had two teens, and were hoping for a one room suite, but couldn't afford the few we came across. The HIE is a slightly larger than average room with a pull out bed, at least gave us a little extra space to spread out.

The hotel offered free wifi; you need to sign on with the password every time your computer/phone/tablet sleeps, or at least once a day. There was also an exercise room and a pool we never saw anyone use.

We asked for a room in back, and it was quiet. We were not bothered by street noise. The room was clean and comfortable. The toilet backed up at about 10 PM, and the front desk told us we could come down to pick up a plunger. The plunger did the job, but it speaks to the "low frills" nature of the chain.

There are a couple of grocery stores within a mile's distance, and the room had a fridge and microwave. The fridge did not keep food as cold as we would have liked, however—perhaps it didn't close all the way (I didn't see that review until after we returned from our trip.)

Breakfast included a large selection: lots of starch—bagels, muffins, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, oatmeal packets and white rice; several proteins–omelets (pre-made), boiled eggs, peanut butter and yogurt; and bananas.

The location was a little far from the things we ended up doing in the area, so I'm not sure I'd stay here again, but it is a good value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family