“The best donuts in the Bay area”
Review of Stan's Donut Shop

Stan's Donut Shop
Ranked #1 of 14 Bakeries in Santa Clara
Sunnyvale, CA
“The best donuts in the Bay area”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Can't really add much more than to say that this place has a well deserved reputation for donuts and when you need them, they are always reliable. The glazed is without a doubt a masterpiece -- large, fluffy, but with the right amount of crispy "chew" with a wonderful sugary glaze. Not as "sweet" as the stuff at Krispy Kreme but Stan's is without a doubt the best. We also tried their lemon buttermilk and it was stupendous. When you need doughnuts, and you want to get some really good ones -- go to Stan's.

• Visited February 2013

Santa Clara, California
“Still amazing after all these years!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Like so many natives to Santa Clara, I grew up with Stan's Donuts being close. As I was raising my children, I found out, after they were grown, that some days they used their milk money for a donut on the way to school at St. Justin's. When we have guests, that is one place we either surprise them with the hot donuts in the morning or stop by on our way to have some in the car. The counter is not retro...it is the original from the 50s. I think the seats have been reupholstered in the past twenty years ;-) Such a treat!!! You will love it!!!!

• Visited October 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
“I had no idea how good I had it”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

As a small child in the early 1960s I used to walk to Stan's Donuts, crossing Homestead Road after attending catechism at St. Justin's Church on Saturday mornings. My mom would give me $2 for a dozen donuts, which I would carry the 1 mile, very carefully, all the way down Homestead Road, the change stuffed into my pocket.

I no longer live in California, but every year when I fly back to visit family, I stop in at Stan's. Last month's trip for donuts was as amazing as it is every year. I had no idea how good I had it when I could get a Stan's Donut whenever I wanted. How do they do it? Their jelly filled is like no other. Large and flaky, slightly crisp on the outside (it's a texture, mouth appeal thing--I haven't found anything close anywhere around the United States), soft and cloudlike on the inside, with just the right amount of red jelly, and copious amounts of mouth-watering powdered sugar that coats the front of your shirt with tell-tale white puffs--the way a jelly donut should. All the other donuts and bars, in all the usual classic variety, are just as memorable.

Stan's is known as a greasy spoon kind of place. One long old counter. Dreary walls. A big deep fryer, a cash register, glaze-drippy donut racks out front and a very focused donut maker in the window wielding huge wads of cream-colored dough. Need I say more? It's been the same for decades. I hope it never changes. Stan's donuts are just that good.

• Visited August 2012
Santa Clara, California, United States
“Fantastic donuts!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stan's has been around forever and the inside has been preserved so it's fun to just look at. There is still a lunch counter with old fashioned signage and a glass case for the donuts. The donuts are out of this world! If you go early on the weekends, the line is out the door. Yes, it's that good!

• Visited June 2012
Henderson
“Amazing donuts!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

I've been going to Stan's since I was a child. Their donuts have stayed as moist and delicious as ever! For an extra treat, try to go first thing in the morning..you won't be sorry!