“Satisfactory in an '80's sort of way”

Biltmore Hotel & Suites
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Portland, Oregon
“Satisfactory in an '80's sort of way”
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Overall this hotel is good but getting dated. I was upgraded to a suite which was a nice touch. Room was clean but the furnishings could use updating. Location is central but getting into the hotel from Montague is a challenge due to the traffic.

Not a bad stay but I believe that there are now currently better options in the area

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
SYVM, Manager at Biltmore Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review the Biltmore Hotel & Suites. We are glad you found our hotel clean, and our suites spacious. Thank you for the note on upgrading our furnishing, I have passed on to the general manager as well. Just a note that our Executive Suites on the 8th & 9th floor have just been upgraded with flat panel LCD TVs. Please visit us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Rochester
Reviewed November 17, 2009

I run small computer software training workshops throughout the US and have exposure to many hotels on both the east and west coasts. I needed to find a hotel that could host my west coast workshop that would have less than 15 attendees. The Biltmore Hotel & Suites is the ideal hotel for this purpose. They offer a Corporate Rate menu from catering that includes breakfasts, coffee breaks (AM and PM), and lunch for each full day of your meeting schedule. Their Corporate Rate choice includes meeting necessities for the room such as electrical, projector screen, and large notepad for capturing lecture notes. They streamline your choices for a business meeting offering you more for less money. They also offer free high speed internet so it was a breeze to keep track of my business emails from other clients who were unable to attend my meeting.

All but one of my clients were housed in the tower of the hotel. The rooms in the tower are huge. They are formatted like suites and have a wet bar, two desk areas, a roomy bathroom, and a separate livingroom area. The garden rooms are not as large, but both style rooms are immaculate. I had read in a previous review that the garden rooms are noisy, but when I asked my one client if she had noticed hearing airplanes or traffic outside and she said that she didn't notice. She has young ears and spent her life living in the countryside so if she said she didn't notice, I believe her. The beds were very comfortable (mine was a queen) and the bathtowels are plush and fluffy. This is a high quality hotel for a very very reasonable price. Especially when you think about where this hotel is located in California.

The staff is also top notch. Courteous, timely, and stealthy. What I always notice at other hotels is that when the staff are changing the food and drinks over for a coffee break or meal that they disturb my meetings coming in and out of the room. The Biltmore staff are so quiet that I never even realized they had changed over the room. When I commented to the manager how impressed I was, she let me know that they have very little turnover of staff; so their catering staff has been here for years and they are professionals. Their catering choices for meals are very diverse and the food was delicious. My clients commented to me on how good the food was.

Another attractive feature for this hotel is that it is only a 13 minute cab ride from the San Jose Airport and it is a stone's throw from the convention center in Santa Clara.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a host for a business meeting or is looking for a inexpensive hotel that feels like an expensive hotel when they are here on business. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
admin31, Manager at Biltmore Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
While "stealthy" is not a normal description of our banquet staff, you are right. We pride ourselves on the professionalism and attention to detail our banquet staff provides and are always thankful when clients take notice. We're pleased you're pleased and thank you for the kind and detailed review. We look forward to your next meeting and stay, and will pass your compliments along to our staff.
berkeley
Reviewed October 4, 2009

pros:
clean, buisness like, accomidating, great staff, great breakfast actually (chef cooks eggs for you at buffet on sunday) very comfortable simple rooms. bed was nice. all you need

++ we did the Winchester package. GREAT DEAL. 2 tickets ($52 value) 2 breakfast (which was good) wine, shuttle to the house.

con:
airplanes that fly over head are LOUD in the garden/parking lot rooms. i hear they are less loud in the main hotel. thin walls - can hear other door slam close. bring ear plugs or white noise device. i actually slept fine luckily - and the planes didn;t make noise until about 8 or 9 am.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I visited the South Bay Area for a weekend and stayed at the Biltmore with my husband and daughter. We had a wonderful stay. The staff was helpful and very accomodating. The room service gentelman was very friendly.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I got a cheapy rate online, which surprised me when I saw the picture. However, when I checked in, I quickly learned it was an older motel that had been renovated/added to. When I requested a room with an interior hallway on the 2nd floor (my orignal room was on the first floor and opened to a service station), the staff made it happen. As a petite woman traveling alone, things like first floor rooms and exterior hallways are as unacceptable as seeing a roach. The hotel could step things up a notch by not having to , at least because it could become a PR nightmare if something happened. (Note: it's amazing how many times I have to get my hotel room changed due to this issue--by women, no less!)

The room was average for an older one. The remodeling paint job really was not done well--it was obvious they slopped on a coat of paint. The carpeting seemed a bit older and mismatched, as if they didn't replace it in the remodel. The result is a bit dingier than I would have expected from their lobby, but as clean as your average 3 star hotel. I love the free internet--I don't understand the trend to charge $10/24 hr at pricey hotels--but would have liked more channels on the TV.

Overall, given what I paid, it met my needs. However, there is a nearby 3.5 star hotel I like much better...nicer rooms, interior hallways, and 40 channels on the TV. Perhaps that's why they have an extra half-a-star.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
SYVM, Manager at Biltmore Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2009
We are so glad we were able to accommodate you into an interior guest room! We also have 134 spacious two room suites - all with interior entrances available at the Biltmore Hotel & Suites. You had mentioned you had purchased a "cheapy" rate online, and we do only have our garden rooms, most with exterior entrances, available on the discount travel sites. Some people love this feature of the garden rooms, as they open up to our garden and outdoor pool. They are also a favorite among our guests who travel with pets...as it is an easy access for owners to take them for a walk outside.
Next time, book your room directly with us at hotelbiltmore.com! We are always running specials on our own site, and guarantee the lowest price.
Lillooet, BC
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Our group stayed at the Biltmore because we were putting on a convention at the Santa Clara Convention Center. Actually, we stayed at the Biltmore because the staff bent over backwards to accomodate special dietary needs and provided very reasonable rates for our large group of volunteers. They were all very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for the nice review! We actually strive to ensure our groups have excellent service at the Biltmore Hotel & Suites. We are very close to the Santa Clara Convention Center, and have many groups that are participating in conventions stay with us. It's nice to hear we were able to exceed your expectations!
Camp Hill, Pa
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I stayed at the Biltmore for a week in late February. This place is a MOTEL. As a result it is very noisy due to traffic and airplanes flying in and out of SJC. If you must stay here and have a standard room at least ask for an "interior room." They have a handful of them that are not suites. The rooms themselves, were pretty standard but felt a little dark and dingy. Also, if you see the omelet guy during your complementary breakfast consider yourself lucky.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank screennamesRdumb
SYVM, Manager at Biltmore Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 25, 2009
We apologize you were not impressed with your stay at our hotel and had an issue with noise and our staff. We are located only a few minutes from San Jose Airport, in the business district, so we do have traffic and air traffic outside the hotel. However our hotel is well insulated, and once inside your room the noise is minimal. My sincerest apologizes our "Made to Order" chef was absent during your breakfasts. I truly appreciate you bringing this to my attention, and assure you I will take care of this issue right away to ensure it does not happen in the future. Please come by and try us again, and I assure you our great staff will have you coming back again!

Travelers are raving about these Santa Clara hotels