“Motel 86 quality/Don't judge the book by its cover!”

Biltmore Hotel & Suites
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed September 9, 2005

I've made the mistake of booking this hotel though hotwire, not once but twice! Nice lobby, but that's where it ends. The rooms are dark, crummy, in need for much improvement.
Hotel stuff seemed to not want to be there. I felt like they were doing me a favor for doing their job.
I'm not sure how they got rated 3 stars, but this hotel can barely pull to 2 stars IMO.
Horrible experience!

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed August 10, 2005

As a previous reviewer said, this hotel consists of a main "tower" and then 2 outside wings in the rear that have outside access to the rooms rather than indoor hallways. The lobby and pool areas were quite nice, but then I had to walk outside past a small dark area with vending machines, past the noisy "mechanical" room, and then haul my suitcases up two flights of stairs ( no elevator) to get to my room. The room itself was nice enough--large, clean, modern, good bathroom, quiet. Had I known that I would be staying in what amounted to a motel rather than a hotel, though, I would either have insisted on a room in the tower or not stayed there at all. As a woman traveling alone, I felt a little insecure getting back to my room after dark. So, I wouldn't say don't stay there, but be careful when you book that you know what you're getting. In my case, I probably got this room because I booked through Hotwire and got a very good rate ($68 plus tax). I'm assuming that they relegate us cheap deals to the outside wings, but that doesn't mean you can't argue for something better. In my opinion, however, there are better places to stay. I booked the Hilton Santa Clara through Hotwire and got a great room there.

• Stayed: August 2005
Reviewed July 31, 2005

The only good thing I have to say about this place is the room was clean. Do not let the pictures fool you, they were taken in a really good light. I had reserved 2 rooms online and had a confirmation for both rooms. When I went to the front desk I was told they only had one room reserved for my party. I had to show them the confirmation I had printed before the staff member would look further. I was given 2 rooms not in the main tower but on the perimeter of the property. The rooms were obviously part of a former 2 story motel. The room looked decent from the outside, upon entering the carpet in front of the door was stained maybe a possible previous crime scene. The room smelled of smoke even though it was a non smoking room, and became worse once the air conditioning was turned on, obviously from years before this policy. They want you to think the rooms had been completely remodeled. NOT!!!! They have nice bedding, and newer furniture. But the lines and holes are still apparent in the wall paper from where the pictures used to hang and where the head boards to the beds were. It was obviously dated. The fan in the bathroom came on at like 5 in the morning and was horribly loud, there is also no way to turn it off. The bed was so hard and small it could have been considered a twin. The entrance door to the room is wood as opposed to steel as in most modern hotels. The doors also have no closing mechanisms, so if you don't close the door yourself it will not close. They did add card locks to the doors. Our door to one of the rooms had been pried open at one time with something chunks of wood were missing around the door. The hotels website is misleading as well it says they offer 24 hour room service they do not, it ends at 10pm. There is also hardly any parking we drove around 4 or 5 times before were able to obtain a spot and no one at the front desk advised us of the parking problems. The lobby is clean but way outdated almost second hand looking asian influence with Americana thrown in. There are no elevators to access the older rooms outside of the tower. The rooms we had were tiny. The noise was horrible, the hotel is directly in the flight path of the San Jose airport. The airport noise really wasn't a problem but the guests at a large party in the ballroom could be heard in our room. Was very disappointed, next time I'll go back to the Hilton in Santa Clara, much nicer for the money.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank brianattaylors
Reviewed July 30, 2005

Service was prompt, courteous, and very pleasant.
The suite was clean, neat, well appointed, spacious and comfortable.
The grounds and pool were well maintained and clean.

Undergoing a rennovation while we were there, signs were posted apologizing for noise and activity that we did not hear or experience.

Very nice place to stay. Top Shelf!

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank OklaTigerLily
Las Vegas
Reviewed July 10, 2005

Very nice. Beautiful lobby, and friendly service. Excellent Great America package that includes tickets and breakfast for a very reasonable price. Clean, functional rooms with sofa sleepers, making it ideal for children.

Stayed: April 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed May 20, 2005

Very loud -- doors slamming constantly, mysterious banging noises...

Service was lousy -- I should have slept in my car, it would have been better...

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 5, 2004

Stayed there with my family for the Gonzaga (WCC basketball tourny).
After my two little ones trashed the room we returned later that night and it was completely refreshed. They put all our items back in order, etc. It was great. Large quiet comfortable rooms. WHen I went to open my curtains I pulled them out of the ceiling, maitenence was there in just 3 or 4 minutes and fixed them. During our stay my daughter became sick and needed to be hospitalized. when I asked to be moved to the cheapest room, since we had to extend our stay, they said stay in your room (a suite) and gave me an incredible rate for the rest of my needed stay. When I got home from the hospital they had left a basket with goodies for me and my son with a get well card for my daughter (made me feel much better since I was pretty upset). Anyway, these people really care. Free shuttle service to specific areas as well. If we are ever back in the area we will definately stay there again.

6  Thank MarcHammond