“Well Kept, Nice Curb Appeal”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I stayed here over the Thanksgiving week, they keep this place picked up and clean.
The room was clean and nice.. wifi worked great! Breakfast was always good..
These guys run a tight ship.. they want to know how things are, if there's anything they can do for you.
There was a guy there painting 2 days while I was there,
And walking distance to food and alcohol..

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed November 15, 2009

On my recent trip to Santa Clara I decided to change from my normal stay at the Hyatt down the street because I heard that the Best Western Avatar was a new hotel brand to the area. I have to say the designer of the hotel did an amazing job coming up with such a tech-savy theme. Lobby was very nice, and very clean with the smallest little touches that really light up with the Silicon Valley is about. Staff at the Front Desk was superb in that it was fast, efficient, but also delivered the customer service that I always liked. When I got to my room I have to say that it was very modern, very clean cut, and very usable. The laptop tray for using your laptop on the bed was a nice touch as I was constantly using it during my stay. The only thing was the shower and tub area didn't seem to be very much remodeled. But that wasn't a problem.

I have to say that the more time I spent at the hotel the better it got. When I got off from my meeting I was able to enjoy the fitness center that overlooks the pool. Also the business center area was up to date in the Apple Mac computer department which was very nice to see.

Not alot of hotels actually put quality items into their hotels because of the normal wear and tear, but the Avatar Hotel sure did make it feel like home! It was also a good price! The rate that I got directly from the hotel website was amazing and my company was very thankful because they were the ones paying for my trip. However, I wouldn't have mined picking up the tab because after work I was able to enjoy all the amenities that were being offered. Will be back to the Avatar!

1  Thank craigsselle
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Booked this place because of all the raving reviews here, and i have no regrets. The place is really trendy & fresh. The rooms have the same look & feel. It's not really spacious but just big enough for two. One thing that stood out here was the bed mattress, it's some kind of foam that takes on your body shape, bottom-line you get a great sleep on these. the alarm clock is ipod ready which is another nice extra. The only thing missing is an in-room safe. In our room we had some issue's with warm water but that didn't matter in the overall experience. The hotel have plenty of facilities. First the fitness center is equipped with new modern equipment. The business center has 2 imac's and a which run windows or mac-os and are limited to 30 min sessions (great feature if it's busy). Then there is some kind of central family room which has about 5 LCD TV's with PS3, WII etc, It's all decorated in trendy colors and the layout makes it a cool place to hang-out. Same thing for the lobby. There's free wifi coverage across the hotel and there's is an IHOP attachted and a Bennigans grill restaurant next door, both give you 10% off if you show your room-card. The only thing i didn't like was the outdoor lightning. It's really bright and you can close the shades but there are no curtain to really darken the room. (i read in an earlier review hotel management was going to install diffusors but i didn't see them). Across the street you find a couple of small lunch/diner shops and a supermarket with ATM. Overall i really liked this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dutchman02
Reviewed November 5, 2009

This hotel, like some others in the JDV chain, is a renovated motel. The rooms are very well done, and once you're inside them, you don't feel like you're in a 1980's Best Western. However, there's only so much they can do to the outside - which is very motel like, complete with an attached IHOP.

My room was immaculate, and all of the amenities worked right. The free wifi was good, and not too slow. I appreciated the free business center, with printing, and it looked like the living room would have been a fun place to hang out. The airport shuttle is a nice touch, but seemed to get booked up quick: I couldn't get a ride to the convention center because of trips to the airport.

Some irritations: on checkin, I was given a room that had not been cleaned. No problem, my new room was fine. However, someone had set the alarm for midnight. I could not figure out how to turn it off, and when I called the front desk the clerk didn't know either. Ended up having to unplug it.

That all said, the hotel is a good value, and seemed fresher than the Hyatt where my colleagues were staying.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My favorite part of the Best Western Avatar was the decor - I only WISH my own home looked that way! The room was spotless, tasteful, and comfortable. The setup was perfect for laptop use - the wireless was easy to connect to and you didnt need to hassle with a special code from the front desk. Everything from the laptop station to the comfy beds/sheets to the awesome and plentiful lighting was beyond expectation. Willie at the front desk was overly kind and when I locked my key in the room she fixed my situation pronto. Best of all is that even for hotel rooms costing 3 times as much I have felt less at home.

Reviewed November 1, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked into the newly renovated Avatar Hotel in Santa Clara. The front desk staff was extremely courteous, explained all the neat amenities the hotel offered (including massage chairs in the large living/business area!); even offers beer and wine by the bottle at almost no markup (what a really nice surprise) to take to your room. Make sure you notice all the toy robots in the front lobby, a tribute to the hotel's moniker... The lush red half drapes in the corridors gives a somewhat exotic arabian feel.

The hotel was apparently renovated in a very short time frame, and I must say I was truly impressed with the changes to the room. While it still has the same layout as any typical motel room, they have outfitted it to maximize the functionality, and give it a colorful playfulness without overdoing it. I appreciated the little cubby hole created by the sink area that accommodates the coffee/tea maker as well as ample space to put your own toiletries. The towels were of a very high plush quality, and added plus. Space is maximized by having architect lamps by the desk space and side tables that are mounted to the walls. And to boot, a bed tray large enough to accommodate a laptop or a takeout dinner!

Speaking of meals, the only drawback is not having a decent restaurant right there. There is a Bennigan's next door, which is rather mediocre, and an IHOP attached for the lovers of giant breakfasts.

I would definitely stay at the Avatar again; I just hope the prices don't end up matching those of the surrounding hotels.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2009

Thank you BucksFoddie, for your wonderful comments. You should be a Travel Writer! The management team and the entire staff appreciate you generous words. We’re delighted that you found many of our ‘hidden’ amenities. It is always fun to go to hotel and seek out those small items which make a difference. I also appreciate you comments about IHOP and Bennigan’s. While I am surprised by Bennigan’s not having lived up to their usually much better levels of product and service, IHOP is indeed heaven for those who love a hearty breakfast to start their day. Again thank you very much. We look forward to having you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Cordially Peter E.

Reviewed October 31, 2009

Our stay started with Teddy picking us up from the airport. The new van was just the beginning of our pleasureable visit. We were greeted at the front desk like friends with the staff ready to accomodate our every need. The rooms were beautiful and CLEAN!!! The beds very comfortable with new linens! The new recreation room was wonderful to visit after a long day-including the bowls of goodies on the coffee tables. (The Wednesday night hot dog and beer/wine was also appreciated.)
I would highly recommend the Best Western Hotel Avatar Santa Clara. Our stay was so enjoyable, we can hardly wait to stay again next year.