“Nice hotel - service needs some work”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2009

This hotel, like some others in the JDV chain, is a renovated motel. The rooms are very well done, and once you're inside them, you don't feel like you're in a 1980's Best Western. However, there's only so much they can do to the outside - which is very motel like, complete with an attached IHOP.

My room was immaculate, and all of the amenities worked right. The free wifi was good, and not too slow. I appreciated the free business center, with printing, and it looked like the living room would have been a fun place to hang out. The airport shuttle is a nice touch, but seemed to get booked up quick: I couldn't get a ride to the convention center because of trips to the airport.

Some irritations: on checkin, I was given a room that had not been cleaned. No problem, my new room was fine. However, someone had set the alarm for midnight. I could not figure out how to turn it off, and when I called the front desk the clerk didn't know either. Ended up having to unplug it.

That all said, the hotel is a good value, and seemed fresher than the Hyatt where my colleagues were staying.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Reviewed November 2, 2009

My favorite part of the Best Western Avatar was the decor - I only WISH my own home looked that way! The room was spotless, tasteful, and comfortable. The setup was perfect for laptop use - the wireless was easy to connect to and you didnt need to hassle with a special code from the front desk. Everything from the laptop station to the comfy beds/sheets to the awesome and plentiful lighting was beyond expectation. Willie at the front desk was overly kind and when I locked my key in the room she fixed my situation pronto. Best of all is that even for hotel rooms costing 3 times as much I have felt less at home.

Reviewed November 1, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked into the newly renovated Avatar Hotel in Santa Clara. The front desk staff was extremely courteous, explained all the neat amenities the hotel offered (including massage chairs in the large living/business area!); even offers beer and wine by the bottle at almost no markup (what a really nice surprise) to take to your room. Make sure you notice all the toy robots in the front lobby, a tribute to the hotel's moniker... The lush red half drapes in the corridors gives a somewhat exotic arabian feel.

The hotel was apparently renovated in a very short time frame, and I must say I was truly impressed with the changes to the room. While it still has the same layout as any typical motel room, they have outfitted it to maximize the functionality, and give it a colorful playfulness without overdoing it. I appreciated the little cubby hole created by the sink area that accommodates the coffee/tea maker as well as ample space to put your own toiletries. The towels were of a very high plush quality, and added plus. Space is maximized by having architect lamps by the desk space and side tables that are mounted to the walls. And to boot, a bed tray large enough to accommodate a laptop or a takeout dinner!

Speaking of meals, the only drawback is not having a decent restaurant right there. There is a Bennigan's next door, which is rather mediocre, and an IHOP attached for the lovers of giant breakfasts.

I would definitely stay at the Avatar again; I just hope the prices don't end up matching those of the surrounding hotels.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2009

Thank you BucksFoddie, for your wonderful comments. You should be a Travel Writer! The management team and the entire staff appreciate you generous words. We’re delighted that you found many of our ‘hidden’ amenities. It is always fun to go to hotel and seek out those small items which make a difference. I also appreciate you comments about IHOP and Bennigan’s. While I am surprised by Bennigan’s not having lived up to their usually much better levels of product and service, IHOP is indeed heaven for those who love a hearty breakfast to start their day. Again thank you very much. We look forward to having you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Cordially Peter E.

Reviewed October 31, 2009

Our stay started with Teddy picking us up from the airport. The new van was just the beginning of our pleasureable visit. We were greeted at the front desk like friends with the staff ready to accomodate our every need. The rooms were beautiful and CLEAN!!! The beds very comfortable with new linens! The new recreation room was wonderful to visit after a long day-including the bowls of goodies on the coffee tables. (The Wednesday night hot dog and beer/wine was also appreciated.)
I would highly recommend the Best Western Hotel Avatar Santa Clara. Our stay was so enjoyable, we can hardly wait to stay again next year.

Reviewed October 31, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel four the past four years. The changes were beautiful. The staff was polite and could not have been more accommodating. The rooms were immaculate with heavenly beds. Everyone conveyed the impression that our comfort was their top concern. I have already made reservations for my stay there next year.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2009

Thank you very much kyquilter9 for your great review. Coming from someone that has stayed with us over many years is especially rewarding to note all the changes that have occurred. Indeed our Bed are now heavenly and if there is one complaint of which I’d like to see many more, it’s when guest complain that it is hard to get out bed because they are so comfortable in it. Thank you for recognizing our efforts. We look forward having you back with us next year. Cordially Peter E.

Reviewed September 27, 2009

This is a very clean and comfortable hotel with rooms that face out onto a central swimming pool.

The rooms have a modern decor and are equipped with high quality furnishings. The only thing I would watch out for is that they play music by the pool until 10 pm (can be quite loud) and there were very bright lights by the pool that made it look like day-light at 3 am.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2009

Dear AM_UK_9
Thank you very much for your kind comments and your favorable rating. You bring up a great point; the landscaping lights are too bright and it makes it look at 3am like day-light.
We heard you loud and clear and because some of this is new to us, I personally stayed in your room and could not agree more with you. Consequently we are in the process of installing some "diffusers" that will angle the lights the way it was originally designed and intended.
Again thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back, in the hopefully not too distant future.
Cordially
Peter
E.

Reviewed September 24, 2009

I had booked this hotel as a one night stop over on our way from LA to San Francisco. We were both really impressed with this hotel from our first step into the reception area. We were greeted by a very pleasant lady who checked us in really quickly. The room was spot on, extremely clean and the decor and furnishings were extremely hip and modern which made for a very comfortable stay. We didn't have time to use the pool but it looked very nice from our room.

We had dinner in the restaurant next door which I think was called Bennigens or something like that. Nice meal and the people were really friendly. We had breakfast in the Ihop next door and that filled us up for the rest of the week! As we only stopped one night did not get to see the area around the hotel at all, it seems to be on a business park but we could hear the screams from the theme park nearby so I would imagine it would be a great place to choose if you were heading there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2009

Thank you very much for your kind words and wonderful report. It is an unsolicited review like yours that is the most rewarding aspect of working in the hospitality field. On behalf of my management team and the entire staff of the Avatar Hotel, thank you for taking the time to write down your gracious comments. Please tell many of your friends about us and come visit us again soon. Cordially Peter