“Outstanding Hospitality and Cleanliness”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Louisville, KY
“Outstanding Hospitality and Cleanliness”
Reviewed October 31, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel four the past four years. The changes were beautiful. The staff was polite and could not have been more accommodating. The rooms were immaculate with heavenly beds. Everyone conveyed the impression that our comfort was their top concern. I have already made reservations for my stay there next year.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2009
Thank you very much kyquilter9 for your great review. Coming from someone that has stayed with us over many years is especially rewarding to note all the changes that have occurred. Indeed our Bed are now heavenly and if there is one complaint of which I’d like to see many more, it’s when guest complain that it is hard to get out bed because they are so comfortable in it. Thank you for recognizing our efforts. We look forward having you back with us next year. Cordially Peter E.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 27, 2009

This is a very clean and comfortable hotel with rooms that face out onto a central swimming pool.

The rooms have a modern decor and are equipped with high quality furnishings. The only thing I would watch out for is that they play music by the pool until 10 pm (can be quite loud) and there were very bright lights by the pool that made it look like day-light at 3 am.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2009
Dear AM_UK_9
Thank you very much for your kind comments and your favorable rating. You bring up a great point; the landscaping lights are too bright and it makes it look at 3am like day-light.
We heard you loud and clear and because some of this is new to us, I personally stayed in your room and could not agree more with you. Consequently we are in the process of installing some "diffusers" that will angle the lights the way it was originally designed and intended.
Again thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back, in the hopefully not too distant future.
Cordially
Peter
E.
North Wales
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I had booked this hotel as a one night stop over on our way from LA to San Francisco. We were both really impressed with this hotel from our first step into the reception area. We were greeted by a very pleasant lady who checked us in really quickly. The room was spot on, extremely clean and the decor and furnishings were extremely hip and modern which made for a very comfortable stay. We didn't have time to use the pool but it looked very nice from our room.

We had dinner in the restaurant next door which I think was called Bennigens or something like that. Nice meal and the people were really friendly. We had breakfast in the Ihop next door and that filled us up for the rest of the week! As we only stopped one night did not get to see the area around the hotel at all, it seems to be on a business park but we could hear the screams from the theme park nearby so I would imagine it would be a great place to choose if you were heading there.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2009
Thank you very much for your kind words and wonderful report. It is an unsolicited review like yours that is the most rewarding aspect of working in the hospitality field. On behalf of my management team and the entire staff of the Avatar Hotel, thank you for taking the time to write down your gracious comments. Please tell many of your friends about us and come visit us again soon. Cordially Peter
Travels with Kids USA
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I was traveling with my young son and we were looking for a place near Great America. There were quite a few places to choose from but when I saw Joie de Vivre had a hotel nearby it was a no-brainer since I had stayed with them before in San Francisco. The Avatar hotel and the grounds were super clean. The pool, hot tub area was sooo nice. Great Staff, very friendly and helpful. The room was set up great, everything I needed, t.v, internet, fridge, coffee and CLEAN! Having the IHOP right there was nice, of course that was the only place my son wanted to eat...I have told many of my friends about Joie de Vivre hotels. The room was perfect, decor, design, very user friendly. They do it right. We also used the fitness center, it was stocked with new equipment and located next to the pool. Good placement. The shuttle to Great America was very easy and free too! Bottom line, we reserved for one night, but loved it so much we stayed for two.....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank DadRad
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2009
Dear DadRad
Thank you for following your Joie de Vivre instincts and we are so glad that we lived up to your JdV expectations. JdV’s culture of having an excellent product, along with first rated guest interactions and our staff taking ownership pride in the property, all contributes to the JdV product that you were able to experience here at the Avatar Hotel. Thank you for selecting our Hotel over so many others in the area and thank you for extending your stay. That in itself is the highest compliment you gave us!
Cordially Peter E. General Manager
California
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I am a big fan of hotels that think outside of the "box". This hotel was very unique in the choice of decor and furniture inside the room and around the property. There were hundreds of little touches that made it feel relaxed, hip, and a cut above your average hotel experience.

The lobby was really cool, with modern furniture, the fireplace was flanked with two large glass cabinets filled with "tin robots". My husband and I were traveling with 4 boys, two of our own, and two friends. The kids went nuts just from the lobby! The room continued the theme of ultra modern/hip. The lighting was great, the beds were very comfortable, the choice of colors and fabrics kept me feeling refreshed, and delighted throughout our stay.

The staff was gracious, and promptly met our requests. We had two adjoining rooms, and the rollaway bed we requested was brought up before we even reached the room from the lobby. (At no charge!) When we needed more pillows, more were brought within ten minutes, and of the exact same quality that were on the beds. (A variety of thicknesses to meet different people's needs.) The pool was a big attraction for the kids, but the hot tub was not heated when we got there. The staff immediately got it going and within 20 minutes it was working again. There were always fresh towels poolside.

The pool patio area was very chick, and the matching red chaises, umbrellas and tables complete with ice buckets all around, made me feel very relaxed! The value we received at this hotel was great. We were extended an internet special "summer" price, even though our stay was in mid-September. Carlos at the front desk was so professional, courteous and thoughtful. He came out to the pool patio after our check-in and gave us a tin robot like the ones from the cabinet! He said it was an extra one that they had not used that was in storage. The boys were so thrilled, and I was very touched at his thoughtfulness.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, and would stay here in the future.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Dear Travelin_mom_8
“WOW” what an amazing review of our Hotel! When I read your review to our assembled associates this morning, there were so many smiles and elated comments from my management team and the entire staff, that we do not know were to start with expressing our thanks and appreciation for your kind comments.
We hope that the little Robot will continue to be a memento and reminder of the Avatar Hotel and that we will have an early opportunity to welcome you and your family back to our Hotel, hopefully in the not too distant future. Again thank you very much.
Cordially
Peter E. – General Manager
Oceanside, California
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I just stayed here for 2 nights on business. When I arrived I was greeted by Carlos at the front desk who was very friendly and very helpful. My room was nice and clean and very uniquely decorated. I guess it's what other's have referred to as a "gamer" look. I'd call it more like high tech and modern. The bed was very comfortable. The location was great as it's only about 10 minutes from the airport and about the same from many of the businesses in the area. It was a relatively quiet location, but I could hear road noise well into the night. The workout room was large with a lot of equipment. The pool and jacuzzi were also nice, although the jacuzzi's jets weren't very strong.

Overall, everything was great, but I do have a few gripes. One was that unlike many other Best Westerns I have stayed at, this one did not have a breakfast in the morning. Yes, you can get a 10% discount at the IHOP, but that's not all that enticing, at least to me (I'm not a huge IHOP fan). I did find a place called Specialty's Cafe and Bakery just down the road which I thought was great. Another gripe was the lack of water or towels in their workout room. It had apparently been recently renovated and there was a water cooler in the room, but it wasn't put together. There also wasn't a drinking fountain in the lobby area. And, lastly, the bathtub in my room looked rather old. It was clean, but obviously old. Just seemed odd since the rest of the room was so nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dear "BeJerky". Thank you very much for your lengthy review. We take comments very seriously but appreciate any suggestions and comments we get, to help us improve our product each and every day.
The water and the towels in the Fitness Center have been added and I apologize they weren't there when we first opened up the new facility.
Your comments about the IHOP Breakfast are appreciated. Unfortunately our hands are tight in that IHOP has the exclusive right to serve breakfast and we feel lucky to be able to provide at least a 10% discount to our Hotel Guests. This operation is separate from the Hotel.
Finally when luck strikes ... your room was one of the last rooms to be worked on..., but it too has received a new bath-tub to coincide with the entire new look of the Hotel. I apologize that you ended up in a room where we were behind schedule.
I hope you'll return soon, so that you may see for yourself the various improvements that have come about since your stay. Our "Commons Lounge" is now open and features massage chairs, five large screen TV's and morning coffee, along with our weekly "beer-bust".
Again thank you very much for your comments.
Calgary
Reviewed August 26, 2009

The subject says it all. Was pleased by the very friendly and helpful staff. I actually have to back this winter and will be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business