“Nice hotel in a good location”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oceanside, California
“Nice hotel in a good location”
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I just stayed here for 2 nights on business. When I arrived I was greeted by Carlos at the front desk who was very friendly and very helpful. My room was nice and clean and very uniquely decorated. I guess it's what other's have referred to as a "gamer" look. I'd call it more like high tech and modern. The bed was very comfortable. The location was great as it's only about 10 minutes from the airport and about the same from many of the businesses in the area. It was a relatively quiet location, but I could hear road noise well into the night. The workout room was large with a lot of equipment. The pool and jacuzzi were also nice, although the jacuzzi's jets weren't very strong.

Overall, everything was great, but I do have a few gripes. One was that unlike many other Best Westerns I have stayed at, this one did not have a breakfast in the morning. Yes, you can get a 10% discount at the IHOP, but that's not all that enticing, at least to me (I'm not a huge IHOP fan). I did find a place called Specialty's Cafe and Bakery just down the road which I thought was great. Another gripe was the lack of water or towels in their workout room. It had apparently been recently renovated and there was a water cooler in the room, but it wasn't put together. There also wasn't a drinking fountain in the lobby area. And, lastly, the bathtub in my room looked rather old. It was clean, but obviously old. Just seemed odd since the rest of the room was so nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Staywme, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2009
Dear "BeJerky". Thank you very much for your lengthy review. We take comments very seriously but appreciate any suggestions and comments we get, to help us improve our product each and every day.
The water and the towels in the Fitness Center have been added and I apologize they weren't there when we first opened up the new facility.
Your comments about the IHOP Breakfast are appreciated. Unfortunately our hands are tight in that IHOP has the exclusive right to serve breakfast and we feel lucky to be able to provide at least a 10% discount to our Hotel Guests. This operation is separate from the Hotel.
Finally when luck strikes ... your room was one of the last rooms to be worked on..., but it too has received a new bath-tub to coincide with the entire new look of the Hotel. I apologize that you ended up in a room where we were behind schedule.
I hope you'll return soon, so that you may see for yourself the various improvements that have come about since your stay. Our "Commons Lounge" is now open and features massage chairs, five large screen TV's and morning coffee, along with our weekly "beer-bust".
Again thank you very much for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed August 26, 2009

The subject says it all. Was pleased by the very friendly and helpful staff. I actually have to back this winter and will be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Recently renovated, still working out the bugs, in town for the Duran Duran Concert in nearby Livermore. Update on amenities was wonderful, denny's right next door, and of course, the In and Out burger just down the street put a bow on the evening. Would recommend. Staff appeared to have the dear in the headlights look at time, Manager was there to re-assure....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear "endless_summer1966"
thank you for your wonderful comments including the staff needing some re-assurance from the manager. Since your stay we have conducted many hours (if not days) of training and every front desk host is now a "Joie de Vivre Academy Certified Host", which hopefully means; no more "dear in the headlights looks".
Come check us out again soon. There are many great concerts in the southbay and we are only a few minutes from Shoreline Amphitheater, where many world class concerts take place.
Again, thank you for your kind comments.
California
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I actually have nothing bad to say about the Avatar Hotel. We were greeted with very friendly people. We actually came down by Amtrak train and while trying to find our way to a main street and getting lost, I called the hotel and they told me to stay right where we were and they sent their shuttle out for us. Within 10 minutes we were on our way to the hotel with the friendliest driver. Everything about our stay was wonderful. Like I said, I wouldn't stay anywhere else, now that I've seen and experienced the Avatar. Keep up the good work. I will reccomend this hote to everyone that is headed to Santa Clara.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank SEBusch68
California
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I liked the somewhat modern "gamer" theme. You get a 10% off discount as a hotel guest at IHOP right next. Free High Speed Internet (wired and wireless). I hope they upgrade the TV signal from analog to digital soon since they have a nice LCD TV.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dear "polydron"
Thank you very much for your great comments and for mentioning the "Gamer" theme. Since your stay we have upgraded several channels to HDTV, have added ESPN for Monday Night Football and have opened our "Commons Lounge" were Guest can play all kinds of Wii games, Play-station games and choose from about 15 board games.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Tri Cities, WA
Reviewed August 10, 2009

This hotel was great. We loved the modern/Gamer look to it. I was traveling with my 25 year old gamer husband and is 17 year old gamer brother and the room was definatly to their liking, and mine. They were very helpful and courteous people. Only issue is not to take the shuttle to Great America. Had asked for a 11:30 AM pick up to go to Great America and didn't get the shuttle until noon. Another family walking by said don't bother calling to have it pick you up because they told them 15 minutes and it took 45 minutes. It's a couple block walk and really easy to get to, so enjoy the walk. Otherwise, definatly stay.
Get the Great Americas package. What a deal!

• Stayed July 2009
Dear "pmweeden"
Thank you for your awesome comments and for sharing your family’s enthusiasm for our game "theme". Since your stay we have moved on to create even more game opportunities. With the opening of our "Common Lounge" guest can now play the Wii Station games, Play Station games, watch 5 different TV's or just enjoy a heavenly chair massage.
I apologize for the Shuttle "fiasco". Occasionally we get an overwhelming amount of shuttle requests and with our eight passenger van limit, it is difficult to get everyone to and from the park at the exact time. However as you mentioned, we are only two city clocks from the park entrance and a five minute walk away.
Again thank you for your kind comments. Come back again soon and don't leave the "gamers" behind.
medford, or
Reviewed August 9, 2009

The hotel rooms are very nice, clean, and newly remodeled. The location is great, felt safe there. Convinient to great america. The rooms and beds are a little small though. Overall i was impressed and would definetly stay there again. Would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dear "heymickey"
Thank you for your kind comments. We're delighted that you enjoyed our newly remodeled Hotel (June/July 2009 we spend $4.5 Million to completely redo the entire Hotel)
Since your early August 2009 stay, many additional amenities have been added and we'd love for you to come back and visit with us again. And thank you for referring us to your friends. There truly is no bigger compliment than a referral in our industry. We nuture that as the highest compliment we can earn.
Again thank you very much