“A Cool Hip Hotel that is centrally located!”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“A Cool Hip Hotel that is centrally located!”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

The Avatar is a hip cool hotel on Great America Parkway-is is not colored blue like that of the James Cameron movie, but in splashed of bright red, fuschia, lime green and orange. It is next to the IHOP, so many people know where it is and can easily find it, and there's plenty of parking.
We got checked in fast and easy by the friendly staff, and warned about the big day of the 49ers game that might cause a lot of traffic. My room on the 3rd floor afford a great view of the pool-where there is plenty of action because of a pool party on the day of the game. The room is spacious, has a long workstation with plenty of plugs for your laptop and devices, a flat screen TV, a Keurig coffeemaker, a fridge, closet, plenty of drawer space, an IPhone docking station, and funky cool artwork. Wifi is free. The only indication to the hotel's motel past would be the smaller bathroom, but it still works and now the toiletries are by Lather, a higher spa quality brand.
The blinds keep privacy and the light away, but you could open it up to be part of the hotel action so you can see into the pool and hear the music. It could very much be a party place, but works well for business travelers. The dramatic red curtains in the hallway, the color palette in the room, retro furniture, very comfortable bed and upgraded amenities definitely make the Avatar rise above a motel. It is so convenient to have an IHOP next door-you can eat anytime and get 10% off your bill too! There's also a Bennigan's restaurant, a church, across from the Marriott, the new Levi Stadium (home of the 49ers) and Great America. It is indeed very centrally located.
I loved the openness of the hotel layout and its interactive and youthful vibe that you wouldn't get at a standard chain. I'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view!
Green Features: The hotel has recycling in place and uses sustainable materials.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RichieSel
Jamie L, Operations Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2014
Thank you RichieSel! I don't think I could have described our property better myself! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the central location of our hotel to the number of Santa Clara hot spots! We are were you want to be for family weekends at Great America, game days and work conventions! :)

Thank you again! We hope to see you soon! Go 9ers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed August 6, 2014

It's been a long time since we stayed at this hotel but it was a wonderful stay. I particularly love the decor of the hotel. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The daily cleaning service was friendly. The reception staff always had a smile on their faces and we're very accommodating when we left some luggage with them when we went on a little road trip. The International House of Pancakes restaurant is located within the Avatar premises which is perfect both for a late breakfast or a midnight munch.

The location is great too, so close to the Convention Center and the 101 freeway. I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We preferred the rooms on the first floor near the end of the corridor because we could leave the b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pulkit01
Thank you so much for the fantastic review pulkit01! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the services the staff at Avatar will able to provide you and the many amenities we offer as well inclusive of the convenient distance to the convention center!

We hope to see you again!
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Website photos look pretty nice, but when you walk into a room, the smell, the stained carpet and the old towels remind you motels along streets.

The location is very convenient, if you can stand the noise of airplane and car traffics. Highly recommend to pick a room away from the street to reduce car noise. Not much you can do with airplane noise though.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank BabaluluQ
Thank you BabaluluQ for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear that the room was not up to your expectations. We are currently in the middle of revitalized our rooms and I am confident that should you visit us again, you would not be disappointed.

Should you decide to return to the area, please contact me directly, and I am more than happy to assist you and ensure you experience the Avatar as you should have the first time around.

My sincerest apologies again,

Jamie Lassak
Operations Manager
jlassak@jdvhotels.com
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed August 4, 2014

After checking the website and reading some favorable print reviews I chose to give the Avatar hotel a try. The service is attentive and the hotel is clean. However everyone must remember that this is a nice MOTEL not a HOTEL.

Room Tip: ask for an upper floor they are quieter and more private
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Pat S
Thank you Pat S for taking the time to let us know about your experience at the Avatar Hotel. I'm glad to hear that you found the service to be attentive and the cleaning standards to be up to your expectations. We hope to see you again in the future!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed here for three nights. We chose this hotel because most hotels in San Francisco or the Bay Area had been either full or very expensive due to the July 4th weekend. There were plenty of parking spaces available and the neighborhood is lovely and quiet. It is right next to the Mission College.

Check-in was quick and the staff was friendly and helpful. She provided the WiFi password without us asking for it. She also suggested dining options available in the site.

The room was pretty furnished and clean. With a modern design, the room differentiated itself from that of other hotels. The toilet was kinda small and the sink was separated from the toilet. Bathtub was not tall enough. My favorite part of the room was that there was a laptop stand, so that I could place my MacBook on it while lying on the bed. I have yet to observe this piece of furniture in other hotels.

As for amenities, the hotel has a well-equipped gym. It provides treadmills as well as weigh machines. It is unfortunate that we didn't try it. Swimming pool was available but didn't bother to try it under the cold NorCal weather. IHOP is available next to the lobby as a breakfast or dining option. However, it was quite busy in the morning and service was merely acceptable.

To sum up, price was reasonable and the hotel was pretty decent. Will consider staying here again in the future (as well as the other options).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Divine F for the great review! I am so glad to hear that you found the amenities in the room, inclusive of the in-bed desk option and full gym to be useful and up to your standards during your visit.

We hope to see you again!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by the Avatar hotel! Friendly and helpfull staff at reception and my room was nice and clean. Comfortable bed and new soft towels. Free WiFi in the room, a TV, refrigerator, hairdryer and iron, coffee and tea maker, so well equiped. For this rate I do not believe you can find a better hotel in this area. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much Llangammarch for your great review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Come visit us again soon!
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Friendly, helpful reception. Room beautifully clean, very comfortable bed. Quiet. Lots of thick towels, fortunately, so after I twice barked my shins on the bedframe, which stuck out 6 inches beyond the mattress into the narrow walkway, I had towels to cover the bedframe and make it more visible. Maintenance came promptly when I complained I couldn't flush the toilet without opening the tank and couldn't adjust the shower's needle spray at all--it turned on so hard it stung, the drain flooded, and water splashed outside a well-sealed curtain onto clothes outside the shower. Also, the temperature of the water did not stay constant during the shower. The toilet flushing was not fixed--maintenance blamed kids and just left it, but he did loosen the shower controls a bit and got the balky window blinds to open. There were no grab bars in the shower/tub. Room-to-room phone service did not work. I was glad to find stationary provided for me to make note of all this, hope some problems have been fixed since April 26.

Room Tip: Check the plumbing controls and the walking clearance around the bed.
Green Features: Wasn't aware of them. The shower certainly did not save water, but maybe a toilet that doesn't flush does. After barking my shins I used a lot of tissues to blot the bleeding, and extra towels to cover the bedframe--that was not environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Avatar hotel JHC164. I apologize for the short comings of the room that you experienced during your travels. Avatar is in the process of completing some remodeling and revitalizing of our rooms and we are excited to see the finishing product!

I truly appreciate your feedback and thank you dearly for the find words about our staff!