Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband stayed there one night while on business. He found the hotel to be comfortable with soothing room colors and modernistic furniture. he found the staff to be friendly & the IHOP next door was great for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you greg2mar for this review. I glad your husband enjoyed his stay with us, it is always great to be comfortable when your away on business. We hope to have him again in the near future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our stay began with a difficult search to find our room - due to the fact that the hotel chose to put up tiny little number signs which 50-somethings can't see from the curb. So you have to park and go up to the door to be able to read the sign. Once we got into our room we found it to be reasonably clean and on the cramped side with trendy, but sparse decor. The handset on the phone and the alarm clock did not work, which we reported the first night. We were told that they would be fixed, but neither were during our four-day stay. Also, at least four of their ice and vending machines had "out of order" signs during our entire stay, making us wonder about serious they were about their guest's comfort - since we had to go up a floor and all the way to the opposite side of the hotel to get ice. Our friends who traveled with us were charged double what they were quoted at the time they made their reservation, and had to get pretty assertive in order to get the bill straightened out. The same friends were asked if they wanted maid service the next day and they said that they did but when they returned to the room in the late afternoon their room had not been cleaned.
The exercise room was great. And we did not use it, but the pool and spay looked pretty nice. Since we we got group-rate prices we were not terribly disappointed with the hotel, but I would have given the hotel only two stars if we had been paying full price. I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you WouldDoItAllAgain for your great feedback. I am glad you found the room to your liking and the location of the hotel was in 5 star location for you needs. I hope the event you were attending went well. I do apologize for the ground floor ice machine being out and the issue you had with your phone and alarm clock. I would like to invite you and your friends to contact me directly if you wish to see if there is anything else you would like to speak about.

Again thank you for your review and hope to hear from you again,

jdvhotels.com

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I took the kids to Great America. The hotel was clean, but the rooms were tiny. We booked two rooms - one for the three kids (12, 15, and 18), and one for us. We tried putting the kids in a room with two "double" beds. There is no way two people or even children would fit in one of those beds. Had to switch to a "king" and a cot. The staff were very accommodating, and the pool was great. Overall we had a good stay. However, I would not have booked this hotel had I realized there was no shuttle to the park and no continental breakfast, but that's just personal preference and would have saved us a bunch of money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you zmolekd for the review. I am happy that you had a good stay with your family here at the Avatar and the staff were very accommodating to make you as comfortable as possible. It is always hard to find spacious sleeping areas especially when the little ones keep on growing. It is always great that you had fun at the pool and got to take advantage of Great America just down the road. We hope to see you again in the near future. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stay in a lot of hotels, as a musician/public relations professional, and I rarely write reviews on hotels (this is my first one!)...but I had to share my experience about staying in the Avatar in San Jose/Santa Clara California. When I was checking in, the staff was super polite, and not only did they treat me with professional hospitality, they went above and beyond! I was super impressed with how nice these people were, all 3 at the front desk were making me laugh with jokes.

The hotel manager, Robert Hendricks, gave me a bottle of wine upon check-in! Who does that? That has never happened to me before. So I asked if they could open it for me (since I'm not a complete alcoholic and bring a wine key with me..lol) and then Robert opened it and asked me if I had any glasses. I replied no (laughing a little, because who brings wine glasses???) and then he told me he would bring one up to my room shortly if there weren't any regular glasses in the room. 15 minutes after I was in the room, he called me from the front desk and asked me if there were glasses in the room. I replied yes, and then he told me he found a real wine glass for me in the bar, and wanted to know if I would like to have that instead, and another bottle of wine for his mistake of not thinking of that before. I laughed again and said, "Who is going to turn down ANOTHER free bottle of wine?? Of course, please bring it up and the glass as well."

The hotel manager, Robert, then appeared 10 minutes later with the new bottle, a disposable wine key and a proper wine glass. I thanked him and told him how impressed I was and how thoughtful the staff were. He then asked me if I was happy with the room. (Normally, I stay in boutique hotels that have a little style - like The Diva in SF, and The Standard in West Hollywood). The room looked a lot like The Standard, with ultra cool chairs, king sized beds with awesome/strange looking linens, ample desk space and interesting decor. I told him that I was happy with the room, but that I had booked the room so I could have a view of the pool, and even though I was on the pool side, on the highest floor, I couldn't see it because I was in front of the stairs and it was blocking the view. Then Robert called downstairs, found me a better room, with a nice view of the pool on the same floor, and went downstairs and came back upstairs and brought the keys to me!!!!

Then Robert told me they had a happy hour in the commons room, and also a membership to the hotel chain so that I could gather points and get discounts. Well, of course I signed up, and then I went to the happy hour...where the cute little bartender talked to me and acted like we were best friends for an hour!!! They had free food/steak quesadillas for the happy hour. It was really a nice time (and I travel alone quite a bit, so it was nice to feel like an honored guest who frequents the hotel on my first stay!).

I have to give 5 Stars to this hotel manager, hotel staff, program, rooms, and definitely the pool area. Its beautiful. Obviously, I will be staying here again instead of the SF area when I need to come here for business. Great value for Silicon Valley!

Room Tip: Choose a pool view/king bed option if you are traveling alone. And sign up for the membership (costs...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for this AMAZING 5 star review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay...and the bottles of wine! Robert is a great manager always making sure each of each our guests feel like they are the most important person staying at the Avatar. There is nothing better than checking into a hotel were you immediately feel like you belong and its just your old hang out spot. We can't wait for you to come back. Please reach out to us next time your in the area we look forward to seeing you again.

408-235-8900

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Above average hotel with more character and lower prices than many of the other options in this area. This is my 2nd stay, and I would not hesitate to return. Good value in Silicon Valley for business travelers who don't care to pay the exorbitant rates charged by many of the big chains in the area...

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank JB1302

Thanks for this great review JB1302. Love it when we have guests that say they want to come back and actually get the chance too. Let us know the next time you are in the area and we will see you then.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is an older hotel that has been redone in a modern style with large, spacious rooms. The rooms were well appointed and had King bed with a large, flat screen TV. Room was clean and the hotel had nice amenities including a pool, spa & fitness room. It was adjacent to an IHOP that guests recieved a 10% discount at. Also next to a Bennigan's restaurant. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was well stocked. Had an issue in the bathroom and staff was very responsive. Very pet friendly, no extra charge for dog...as with other hotels in the area. Would definitely stay here again.
I booked this room through hotels.com and was quite pleased. Got a $25 better deal than posted on their website by calling their customer service number as it was a last minute booking.

Room Tip: 10% discount at the IHOP restaurant for hotel guests is a nice touch. Easy access to Mission Colleg...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you Pheumann01 for the review I am glad you and your dog enjoyed your stay with us. It is always best to book directly through us when making a reservation so we can insure the best available rate. Currently we have a promotion going where you will receive 15% discount of the best available rate with the promo code "DIRECT".

jdvhotels.com

Reviewed August 12, 2013

As motel renovations go, this is a worthy contender. I was able to get a discounted room and at the price of a Best Western, the stay was luxurious by comparison. They've maintained the grounds nicely, everything was relaxing, and the room was clean and comfortable. Geeks will love the lobby, but it can leave the first time visitor wondering if the bed has a coin-operated massage (sorry, nope). Enjoy Santa Clara even better than it was when this place was built!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you Gwhized for this great review. It is great to here that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the room clean and comfortable! Our lobby always grabs peoples attention with our fun "geek chic boutique" feel. We hope you will be back to visit us again here in the near future.