“Best hotel in the area by far” 5 of 5 bubbles

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Best hotel in the area by far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I take monthly trips to Santa Clara for work, and I'm glad I gave Avatar a chance. Amazing experience, friendly accommodating staff, great IHOP, nice pool and fitness center, and clean stylish rooms. Really great prices for the area too. I plan on returning for sure.

Room Tip: Higher floors are great, and rooms with even #s are facing the pool area
Green Features: High comfort even with environmentally-friendly practices
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for the 5 stars and support its because of guests like you we love what we do! We are so glad you have found us as your new place to stay when visiting the Santa Clara area. We can't wait for your return, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you upon your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Redding, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

After getting this hotel through priceline, I wasn't too sure about this hotel from some of the other reviews I had read. I stayed for 2 nights and my overall experience was good but there are a few things that could be better. The good: room was clean, bed was comfy enough, free internet, close to freeway, new looking decor but is kinda funky, mini fridge, fast service, nice staff. The bad: small room, no curtains on windows just blinds, led lamps, not enough wall outlets, small bathroom.

This is a decent hotel to stay at but to me it felt more like a motel that was just decorated better. The room was small but it didn't feel like a was cramped in either. When I first got there a light bulb was out and I told the staff and it was fixed fast but I also had a problem connecting to the internet with an ethernet cable and I had talked to the staff but they couldn't figure it out and there is a number to call but I didn't bother, so I just used the free hotel wifi. You also get a discount at the attached ihop. If you are not going to spend that much time in the room then this is a good place to stay. It wasn't a bad hotel at all but it just wouldn't be my first choice if I had to pick.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
It is great to hear that you enjoyed the decor of the hotel, we try to be a different than your typical big box hotel showing our personality. It is also wonderful that you found the service of our staff fast and friendly. I do however apologize that the LED lights did not give you enough light, apart of our personality here is to be as green as we can and reduce our carbon footprint any way possible, I completely understand that you do need enough light the same time to work. I hope on your next visit to us we will have a solution to this issue.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This really cool spot in Santa Clara speaks to the inner geek in all of us. Robot collections in the lobby, futuristic design rooms and little extras like the space invaders "do not disturb" sign. It is an outdoor entrance style hotel (no inner hallways) and the walls can be a bit thin but other than that, pretty neat and cheaper than some of the other corporate type hotels in the area. Oh, and an IHOP is part of the complex. what more could any geek ask for?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RobnCat, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
We are so happy to hear the 'your inner Geek' was please with us! Thanks so much for your review!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have struggled to find a cool and comfortable place to stay in the area for months and I am glad I finally tried the Avatar. Nothing too fancy, but nice and comfortable and hip without being pretentious. Everyone here is friendly and the gym is nice too. The bonus is a quiet little lounge with a great happy hour and Emmily, a wonderful and friendly bartender who makes me feel extremely welcome every time I stay here.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the far side away from the main street
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily is a star :-). Thank you for sharing your experience with us! It's always great to hear that a traveler was able to get the vibe we are trying to send. Happy Travels until we meet again!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. The staff was great and the hotel was perfect. Rooms as well as other hotel areas were spotless and decorated with colour, artsy touches. There is even a community room where you can use a massage chair, watch tv, meet with friends, catch up on emails or plan the next leg of your trip. All in all, the best hotel we found on this trip. We would definitely stay again.

Green Features: We are definitely environmentally friendly people, so we really appreciate the extra measures they take to reduce waste and do what they can to keep our planet healthy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RobnCat, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
It makes us smile to know that you noted our color and artsy touches in your comments. We are very grateful for your posted review and recent visit. Nothing makes us more happy than to hear that you enjoyed our Commons Lounge the way we believe it should be enjoyed! Happy Travels!!
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I recently stayed at the Avatar Hotel for a business trip. I was originally suppose to stay at the Marriott with the rest of my coworkers, but my corporate travel department said the Marriott was booked and she was going to place me at the Avatar which was right across the street so I could still be close to my coworkers. I had never heard of the Avatar, but looked at their website and it seemed okay.
As soon as I pulled up I could tell this hotel use to be something else like a Days Inn or a Best Western. I checked in and the staff was friendly and accommodating. My room and bathroom were clean and I could tell everything was recently remodeled.

However the renovation could not help the noisy outdoor hallways. I could hear people outside my room as if they were standing inside my room. Also the hallways and elevator were dirty because everything was outdoors. Truthfully, I was a woman traveling alone and felt a little unsafe. I don't know what is was. Maybe it was the overall structure of the Avatar hotel was nothing like a hotel.
I felt like I was staying at a MOTEL and not a HOTEL.

All I can say is this hotel was decent and I am grateful they had room for me since it was very important I attend this business trip. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful.
I'm just writing this review to say that sometimes a hotel website may not have accurate descriptions.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jade t
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I am so glad you found our staff very helpful and friendly, we here at the Avatar strive to make the best experience for our guests. I am sorry to hear you were unhappy with the structure of the building, having exterior corridors has its pro's but it also like you point out has its downfalls. If there is anything we here can do please feel free to reach out to me directly at my direct line of 408-454-6884.
Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while on business with my girlfriend. She worked in Cupertino all week while I traveled around the bay. It's very convenient and easy access right off the freeway (101 or 880). It's clean, comfortable, and everyone was pretty nice. Though the rooms were small and apparent that it used to be a motel dig- I appreciated the fact I didn't need to deal with vacationers or tourists. Loved the shower head and Lather bath products. Also appreciated free WIFI and easy parking. For the rate and convenience, I'd stay at this hotel again next time we're here for business.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Avatar. Thank you for taking the time to review us. Our location here is great right off the 101 with easy access to all of the surrounding cities. We hope to see you and your girlfriend again on your next visit to Silicon Valley.