“Great "little" Hotel with a Smiling Service”

Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is one great Hotel i will stay in when i visit San Jose the next time.The Staff are really friendly,when i step into the lobby, i was greeted by the check in staff with a big smile. I would expect this only from a big five star hotel. Upon Check in, was surprise how the room and the overall interior of the Hotel is done, and i only pay slightly over an USD 100 a night. I was also given an iHOP breakfast coupon. There is a hotel shuttle to the nearby office. I stay there for four nights, every morning i walk past the check-in counter the staff will always smile and say...good morning, how are doing today. Avatar, please keep up the great Service.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Our last stay out of years of stays at the Avatar was awful. Our room had feathers/down even though we noted upon our reservation no feathers, no down and called ahead about an hour before our arrival to confirm our room was no feathers, no down. It took 3 phone calls and a change in shift to get non-feather bedding with feathers flying around the room. No one ever came to vacuum. 3 hours later after talking to the front desk again we gave up and went to bed.Next morning for the important business meeting, my husband could not breathe nor think well due to the feathers. Also, discovered the air filter was full of dust as I awoke with an intense headache for the rest of the day. Front desk management apologized and offered me a bottle of water. I left a message for the same manager asking for a discount or free meal. I was ignored. When the manager saw me in the lobby , he turned around and retreated to the back office. I would have liked some response. They have lost 5+ times a year customers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank redwoodusa
RobnCat, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Greetings,

Thank you for your feedback that was recently posted on Trip Advisor. I understand that you are disappointed with your accommodation at the Avatar Hotel. Here at the Avatar Hotel, we strive to provide you with the best possible service. When it fails to meet your expectations, it’s important for us to know.

Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you will continue to give us opportunities to serve you. I would ask that you contact me at your leisure so that we can discuss your experience in greater detail. I am confident that we can resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

Robert R. Hendricks
Avatar Hotel
Direct 408-454-6882
Rhendricks@jdvhotels.com

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel is very convenient to Yahoo, Great America and other offices. This is a converted motel and was done right. The rooms are decorated creatively and rooms are very clean. I thought that the front desk staff was very helpful. The hotel is connect to Denny's, where you are allowed one breakfast per day per person. Not bad.

Room Tip: All rooms are off the street
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The stay at Avatar hotel was very good.The staff gave great service and were courteous, friendly, and always helpful. The rooms were comfortable and tastefully decorated. The ipod dock was a great bonus!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a pretty decent hotel. It's clean, it has all the basic stuff. It's one of those modern contemporary hotels with modernistic colors and room design. It's not classy but it will suffice for a short business visit to the valley area. It has an IHOP right next door, so there's fast food available to eat pretty much all the time. Apart from that, it's nothing spectacular.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was planning to work from the bedroom for a few hours. You cannot. It sounds like you're in the middle of highway.

The room is OK for the price but again it is not a Hotel. It is a hotel outside your door is the outside. There is appears to be no noise dampening in place at all. In Fact the shape of the Motel may amplify the sound from the Great America Parkway.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
1  Thank NewCombo
RobnCat, General Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Robert R. Hendricks
Avatar Hotel
Direct 408-454-6882
Rhendricks@jdvhotels.com

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here over the weekend on July 6th for two nights and boy was I surprised. We picked this hotel based off of rate and its proximity to Great America. It is right down the street from the park and offered the best rate around. After staying, I now know why the rate was sooo great.

The rooms are very small motor lodge style rooms with glass all in the front. The water pressure was horrible and the hooker two doors down was interesting to say the least. After I complained to the desk they moved my room and lightly brushed off the fact that they have a hooker there. I was told that from time to time those types of peoe frequant the hotels in that area and that they would look into it. They didn't because the hooker was seen that night with three different men in a 2 hour period.

I think I will pay for the Hilton next time and avoid the loud rooms, uninterested desk, and hookers!

• Stayed: July 2012